mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2007-10-30, 11:51   #1
xiano8494

Oct 2007

2 Posts
Default Easiest way to roll out on a Windows network

I would like to install Prime95 on every machine on a windows network. Whats the easiest way to go about this?

If it were only 15 or so machines I would do it manually, but it's about 500, so it would be a nightmare.

It is an RM CC3 based system but there software delivery software would end up giving every macine the same ID which obviously is no good (I assume)

Cheers,
Alex
xiano8494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 16:00   #2
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

10001010011012 Posts

I can't speak for the network but I believe you DO want to give every machine the same UserName and Password so they are considered a "team". You could probably leave the machine ID blank and let PrimeNet assign one. It will end of looking something like C4D23F37
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 16:07   #3
xiano8494

Oct 2007

2 Posts

Ah, i didn't realise it would auto assign a machine name. I'll try it and roll it out Whats the worst that could happen?
xiano8494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 17:09   #4
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

43×103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiano8494 View Post
Ah, i didn't realise it would auto assign a machine name. I'll try it and roll it out Whats the worst that could happen?

Guess you could roll it out to a few as a trial first .... just in case I am wrong ... I mean, I do recall being wrong once in the past
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 19:24   #5
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

112×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiano8494 View Post
Whats the worst that could happen?
If you don't have permission, you could be fired and/or prosecuted. Don't settle for verbal permission, get it in writing. Inform management that each machine will use about 50 watts more electricity - this could be a significant cost. Also, air conditioning costs will rise.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 20:32   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
If you don't have permission, you could be fired and/or prosecuted. Don't settle for verbal permission, get it in writing. Inform management that each machine will use about 50 watts more electricity - this could be a significant cost. Also, air conditioning costs will rise.
I can understand how power usage could rise for a laptop when it's doing DC work, becuase laptops usually step down the CPU clock when it's not under heavy use, to save power, but how would a desktop use more power doing distributed computing? Do some desktops clock down the CPU when it's not being used, too?

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2007-10-30 at 20:32
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 20:41   #7
sdbardwick

Aug 2002
North San Diego County

23×5×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I can understand how power usage could rise for a laptop when it's doing DC work, becuase laptops usually step down the CPU clock when it's not under heavy use, to save power, but how would a desktop use more power doing distributed computing? Do some desktops clock down the CPU when it's not being used, too?
More transistors in the CPU being used more of the time results in more current leakage = more power used.[/oversimplification]

Last fiddled with by sdbardwick on 2007-10-30 at 20:42
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 21:13   #8
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

11100000101002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
but how would a desktop use more power doing distributed computing?
Expanding on sdbardwick's answer:

In addition to what you've correctly said about CPU clock throttling, there are other factors. For both laptops and desktops, there's the matter of how many sections of the system the software is keeping busy. Prime95 keeps more sections of your CPU continually busy than most other software, DC or not, does.

For example, CPUs normally power-down the floating-point arithmetic unit when it's not in use (because most software doesn't routinely perform FP arithmetic all the time). But Prime95 keeps the FPU continually busy, so the FPU never cools off as it would when most other software is running.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2007-10-30 at 21:22
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 23:43   #9
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Expanding on sdbardwick's answer:

In addition to what you've correctly said about CPU clock throttling, there are other factors. For both laptops and desktops, there's the matter of how many sections of the system the software is keeping busy. Prime95 keeps more sections of your CPU continually busy than most other software, DC or not, does.

For example, CPUs normally power-down the floating-point arithmetic unit when it's not in use (because most software doesn't routinely perform FP arithmetic all the time). But Prime95 keeps the FPU continually busy, so the FPU never cools off as it would when most other software is running.
Ah, I see now. Thanks!

Oh, and I'm assuming that LLR does the same thing that Prime95 does with the FPU, right? I would think so, since I've heard elsewhere that both Prime95 and LLR use your CPU to the fullest.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 11:55   #10
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×599 Posts

Right.

BTW, whenever there's reference to Prime95/mprime/LLR stressing your system or fully using the CPU, what's usually really meant is the part of the code that does Fourier transforms to perform huge multiplications. That's the main work in Lucas-Lehmer, P-1, ECM and LLR; it keeps the FPU pipelines and memory busses (when the number sizes are in tens of millions of bits, they get bigger than most memory caches and have to be circulating out of and into main memory much of the time even though George's code does as much crunching as possible on each part in the cache before sending it back to main memory to make room for the next cacheload) very busy. Other parts of the code, such as trial factoring, use less circuitry because they're not doing Fourier transforms (or at least not as much) or else all the data fits in cache.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2007-10-31 at 12:19
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote