Old 2013-06-17, 21:34   #1
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

1175410 Posts
Default CPU Temp monitoring for new MSI/Haswell system

Hi, all:

Just installed a new MSI-mobo/Haswell-quad-CPU combo in my legacy ATX case over the weekend. (Hardware details in "Haswell preview" thread in Hardware). I'm running using the same SSD and Debian-Linux install as on the Sandy Bridge quad the Haswell replaced. I am able to interface with the system using a basic *nix shell and an LCD, but as this is a barebones setup, networking has always been via direct Ethernet-cabling and ssh-login from my macbook. I have been unable to find Linux drivers for the networking built into the mobo, so fellow forumite Scott Bardwick has kindly offered to ship me a now-superfluous-to-him Intel PCI-E network card. In the meantime I will do what I can in terms of software testing via direct command-line and USB-flash-sneakernet.

The MSI BIOS setup has a nice CPU-Temp display. Is there a way to access that or some Debian-standard utils when system is booted and running under load? I looked online for linux utils, it was all 3rd-part stuff which will much easier to install once I get networking, um working.

Thanks,
-Ernst
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 21:51   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

73·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
The MSI BIOS setup has a nice CPU-Temp display. Is there a way to access that or some Debian-standard utils when system is booted and running under load?
Please forgive me if I'm telling you how to chew gum, but have you looked into snmp and lm-sensors?

Edit: Oh... And Cacti can be a very good friend.

Edit2: Required Google search: http://www.eric-a-hall.com/software/...nmp-lmsensors/ is a reasonable starting guide. Note this can all be done on "localhost" until you get networking online.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2013-06-17 at 21:58
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 00:20   #3
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

Quote:
I'm running using the same SSD and Debian-Linux install as on the Sandy Bridge quad the Haswell replaced.
does this mean your SB is going to sit and gather dust?

I'll uh, take it off your hands if you want
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 00:57   #4
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×32×653 Posts

Thanks, Chris - I shall look into those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
does this mean your SB is going to sit and gather dust?
I'm leaning toward doing a custom mount of the old board on the opposite side of the same ATX case. It will be useful to try various code optimization attempts on both architectures. The Haswell is so quiet that noise should not be an issue.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 02:27   #5
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

32778 Posts

Quote:
I'm leaning toward doing a custom mount of the old board on the opposite side of the same ATX case. It will be useful to try various code optimization attempts on both architectures. The Haswell is so quiet that noise should not be an issue.
Two computers in the same case? I can't wait to see this. Pics ASAP
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote