mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2007-04-15, 05:41   #1
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

3·787 Posts
Default Anybody around Florence or Brussels?

I'll soon be leaving on a European Holiday that will have me in Florence for the day of April 19th and in Brussels overnight on April 28th. Between I'll be making day trips from the Malvarina farmhouse near Assisi, Umbria, Italy.

http://www.deliciousitaly.com/malvarina.htm

Does anybody find that convenient for a visit, perhaps over drinks?

William
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 08:32   #2
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

647410 Posts

If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2007-04-15 at 09:10 Reason: Literal accuracy
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 09:35   #3
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

80416 Posts
Thumbs up Holiday special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
I'll soon be leaving on a European Holiday that will have me in Florence for the day of April 19th and in Brussels overnight on April 28th. Between I'll be making day trips from the Malvarina farmhouse near Assisi, Umbria, Italy.

http://www.deliciousitaly.com/malvarina.htm

Does anybody find that convenient for a visit, perhaps over drinks?

William

How I envy you William ! My days of touring exotic places are over though I have the world within range due to my free flights and club class too!
Still I have a kick left and maybe --- well maybe.

Anyway while you are in Brussels dont miss the little pisser not far from the Holiday Inn and at the town centre.

If you are fond of Jazz there are many jazz clubs and live entertainment.

I had a date with a girl I met on board and she was connecting to Dusseldorf and had to spend 4 hrs for the connection. The shuttle tram train we took from the hotel was an experience in itself to get to the airport. Our main line trains in India are giants compared to these two bogey ones.

At the airport terminal she was dehydrated after the flight and ordered water
(typical Indian!) . to keep her company I ordered a local can of beer. When the bill came I was surprised that water (mineral) was twice the cost of the beer!. Wine is even cheaper. This is true all over Europe.

Italy of course has beautiful country side but I leave it up to our many Italian friends to describe it. You will see for yourself.

Well William I wish you a safe flight and a happy holiday.

Hey you maybe in Florence right now or have not left as yet due to our time difference.

Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 17:34   #4
bdodson

Jun 2005
lehigh.edu

210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode View Post
How I envy you William ! ...

Italy of course has beautiful country side but I leave it up to our many Italian friends to describe it. You will see for yourself.

Well William I wish you a safe flight and a happy holiday.

Hey you maybe in Florence right now or have not left as yet due to our time difference.

Mally
Count me as envious here as well. My wife and I spent a honeymoon
year on a research post-doc near Florence, with an appartment near
Fiesole, 1977-78. with Best Wishes as well, -bd
bdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 10:09   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

12CD16 Posts

Too bad I wasn't in Rome to meet you
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 22:12   #6
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

3×787 Posts

If I had been in Rome, I would have messaged you directly. Drinks in Rome would have been a fun followup to our recent drinks in New York. But we spent 2 nights in Florence and 8 nights near Assisi.

We had a good time visiting hill towns in Umbria and hiking Mount Sabasio. Dinner every night was a 3 hour adventure prepared by the family matriarch. The owner of a little restaurant here in New Haven sent us to her brother's store in Assisi. The proprietor of the inn sent a greeting back to the restaurant owner, a woman he remembered from their youth. He fondly described her as "a crazy woman."

Our trip home was dimmed by the news of a family death, but the news came while we already in the airport, so it didn't shorten our vacation.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 11:27   #7
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

12CD16 Posts

If I had been in Rome, driving to Assisi and Florence to meet you would have been easy...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 13:54   #8
grandpascorpion

Jan 2005
Transdniestr

7678 Posts

Sorry for your loss, William.

Last fiddled with by grandpascorpion on 2007-05-03 at 13:56
grandpascorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 23:57   #9
David John Hill Jr

Jun 2003
Pa.,U.S.A.

22×72 Posts
Default Noticed the comment on the cost of water.

Way back when a young tyke of 11, I had to travel from paris to interlaken with only carbonated water available to drink.Elsewise called soda water in U.S.

It is the only time I can recall prior to becoming a diabetic, feeling like one(7 years before the disease ).

If the mineral water referred to is non-carbonated, the 'center for disease control', should do something about the price, allowing clean drinking water ,accesability .
If carbonated , only ,I wouldn't buy it for 100 times the price of a beer.
David John Hill Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 07:49   #10
smh

"Sander"
Oct 2002

100101001012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode View Post
At the airport terminal she was dehydrated after the flight and ordered water
(typical Indian!) . to keep her company I ordered a local can of beer. When the bill came I was surprised that water (mineral) was twice the cost of the beer!. Wine is even cheaper. This is true all over Europe.
Although mineral water is generally overpriced, I've yet to find a place where beer and especially wine are cheaper. Your comment "This is true all over Europe" is of course nonsense.

I'm glad i live in a country whit very good tap water.
smh is offline   Reply With Quote