mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2015-12-16, 05:23   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts
Default The Expanse has to be the most epic 45 minutes to get a first showing on regular cable.

Have any of you seen the first episode of The Expanse? I know it started out as a webisode, I guess on the SyFy website, but I was a bit late to the party.

Between the special effects and the totally epic realism(in my mind) when it comes to zero-g physics, it was phenomenal.

There's a point where a guy gets his arm torn off when a huge ice chunk collides with him. Some of the viewers probably needed a lesson in the difference between weight and mass at that point, though I'm guessing this forum is smart enough to already know. But I swear, I don't know if he started off with a real life arm or as someone with a missing arm, both scenarios looked pretty realistic in the show. He's supposed to get a new arm, since it's a couple hundred years in the future, no idea what that's going to look like.

Am I the only one nerdgasming about the awesomeness of this show?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 05:28   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

17FF16 Posts

Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump had no legs. The real life actor that played Lieutenant Dan has two normal perfectly functioning legs. This was from 1994. Twenty one years ago.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 05:44   #3
axn

Jun 2003

3×5×331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Am I the only one nerdgasming about the awesomeness of this show?
No. You're in good company
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 13:15   #4
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23×3×72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
No. You're in good company
From that article:
Quote:
The natural comparison is to Battlestar Galactica

Got me hooked there!
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 08:08   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump had no legs. The real life actor that played Lieutenant Dan has two normal perfectly functioning legs. This was from 1994. Twenty one years ago.
Lieutenant Dan and his two legs did not start out on free cable. That's the distinction.

I'm saying the special effects are extra awesome when you consider the fact the show went straight to basic cable.
Old 2015-12-20, 08:12   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

6,143 Posts

Quote:
I'm saying the special effects are extra awesome when you consider the fact the show went straight to basic cable.
I have to take your word for it. I've never seen "basic cable" and I have no idea what is normal for such a medium, but from what you are saying it sounds like the usual stuff one would expect is pretty crappy.
Old 2015-12-20, 08:24   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66638 Posts

Quote:
I have to take your word for it. I've never seen "basic cable" and I have no idea what is normal for such a medium, but from what you are saying it sounds like the usual stuff one would expect is pretty crappy.
If you live in the US and have trouble affording fresh fruits and vegetables, basic cable tends to be the biggest not-actually-necessary necessity on your budget, generally.

I totally understand the appeal of books and other intellectual pursuits, but when someone tells me that don't own a tv or an internet connection, with both being true at the same time, I give them googly eyes.

I understand the idea of avoiding these things for intellectual reasons, but everybody has moments where they just want to screw around.

(sorry, that got a bit off-topic, welcome to the wild, woolly world of my brain)
Old 2015-12-20, 08:40   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

137778 Posts

Erm, you started out above by saying "free"cable" ...
Quote:
Lieutenant Dan and his two legs did not start out on free cable. That's the distinction.
... and later referred to it as "basic cable".
Quote:
I assumed they were the same, but now you suggest that it costs money to get basic/free cable.
Quote:
If you live in the US and have trouble affording fresh fruits and vegetables, basic cable tends to be the biggest not-actually-necessary necessity on your budget, generally.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2015-12-20 at 08:41
Old 2015-12-20, 09:53   #9
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Erm, you started out above by saying "free"cable" ...... and later referred to it as "basic cable".I assumed they were the same, but now you suggest that it costs money to get basic/free cable.
(Multi-quote feature is still busted for me, though kladner's rude post confirmed it does what I expect when it works)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, the term free cable refers to the lowest tier available in a company's cable offerings.

Now that I think about it, your confusion is understandable.

At one point, I thought Europeans had a huge, town-sized university that they all attended. Turns out, they use the term "university" the way Americans say college. Context is everything, lol.
Old 2015-12-20, 10:17   #10
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

49816 Posts

The Syfy channel is not free in the Netherlands, neither is most of the cable TV.

The all-in-one pakkage we have from our provider Ziggo consists of:
27 HD + 60 SD channels
120 / 12 mbit internet (down/up) with fair use policy (read: virtually unlimited, I've had months with >1 TByte traffic and they didn't complain!)
2 million free WiFi hotspots in NL (each modem generates a 'free' hotspot in addition to the standard home WiFi network)
for €60/month

But Syfy is not included, it is included in a 'TV Royal' package (including 10 useless HD channels like MTV live, fashionTV, Travel Channel, etc.) which costs an extra €10/month.

The reputation of the provider (Ziggo) is historically lousy, but in the last 2-3 years they have greatly improved their infrastructure and service in our region. Until our village gets fibre-to-home, we are stuck with them as they are the sole cable provider. I don't expect that to happen any time soon, as a recent study found that 80% of the people said they didn't want to change their triple-play subscriptions Even though to the shared nature of the cable it can cause the internet speed to be lower than what is promised (during peak hours it can drop as low as ~40mbit).

Except the three public channels (NPO 1-3) all channels are encoded, that require a decoder and active smartcard.
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-21, 02:25   #11
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3×3,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
The Syfy channel is not free in the Netherlands, neither is most of the cable TV.
SyFy also not included in my \$20/month Comcast limited basic package here in the US. (Used to be, but not as of ~5 years ago.) Didn't really miss it when it got premium-cable-ed because at that point the only worthwhile show they had anymore was BSG. It's one of the channels that I would consider paying \$2/month for in an a la carte setup, but since the Comcast greedheads only offer fixed packages, I'll skip it.

If The Expanse really is quality I'll consider buying it on used DVD maybe a year after each season set comes out, as I did with BSG. That way I can watch it offline and on my schedule, with the usual DVD extras and no commercials. I can wait.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote