Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Aliquot Sequences

Old 2015-11-02, 08:06   #1
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

13·491 Posts
Default An opportunity for search engine optimisation

What do we need to do to get http://www.rechenkraft.net/aliquot/AllSeq.html onto at least the first page of Google results for aliquot sequences? Changing the HTML-title and the page title to "Current status of aliquot sequences with start term below 1 million" would probably help a fair amount.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-02, 11:27   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
What do we need to do to get http://www.rechenkraft.net/aliquot/AllSeq.html onto at least the first page of Google results for aliquot sequences? Changing the HTML-title and the page title to "Current status of aliquot sequences with start term below 1 million" would probably help a fair amount.
I think I helped my sisters ex boyfriend at one point by building a vb.net web browser window and getting it to refresh on his page overnight at one point. but that may be a little annoying for people actually trying to read the page.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2015-11-02 at 11:27
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-02, 16:28   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×5×11×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
Changing the HTML-title and the page title to "Current status of aliquot sequences with start term below 1 million" would probably help a fair amount.
Without question. Additionally, a few tips:

1. Add a "Keywords" meta tag.

2. Tighten up the first few paragraphs to include these keywords.

3. Very importantly, try to get "popular" web pages / sites to link to your site (but only legitimate, relevant sites).

3.1. Consider getting (or doing yourself), for example, Wikipedia to link to your site (but don't "whore edit").

4. Consider registering a dedicated domain for your site. Most search engines rank sites higher over individual pages. Domains and, if needed, shared serving is cheap as chips.

5. Consider breaking your site into multiple pages.

5.1. Consider removing the "insider's talk" on the front AKA home page.

Please know, however, that SEO is an art more than a science. The algorithms used (and their weights) are constantly changing, and are rarely disclosed fully. Further, even after you've done everything you can, it can still take months to years (if ever) to get to the front page of a particular query.

I hope that helps.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2015-11-02 at 16:37 Reason: Added point 5.x.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 12:55   #4
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

2×5×31 Posts

I added some modifications lately. I'll see if they are generic and push those to a special branch/repo on github. From there you can change things and I just need to pull those changes down. It may take some time because I use a different folder structure and will have to rearrange things on the server to make it work with the github repo.
ChristianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 18:54   #5
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

2×5×31 Posts

I've gone ahead and committed my changes to github. There is no licensing information in the files. Maybe Dubslow can clarify under what license the code is and if someone else can change and distribute it and how the original author should be acknowledged.
Old 2015-11-09, 03:41   #6
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100001101012 Posts

Even I am occasionally starting to be affected by the color :S

As far as 4 goes, would it perhaps be possible to host the page on this very site? It's pretty lightweight and simple.

I've made a few updates to the code myself, after being prodded by the fact that a downstream fork is more up to date than me I am quite glad though that my original intent, of sharing the code in case my hosting ability goes belly up, seems to be working.

Edit: Pushed some more changes relating to the title

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2015-11-09 at 04:39
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 20:31   #7
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

2×5×31 Posts

I updated the page on the server to use the latest code from Dubslow.