mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2010-10-18, 15:31   #1
KingKurly

Sep 2010
Annapolis, MD, USA

33·7 Posts
Default AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T

I'm adding an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T to GIMPS, right now I have it doing six LL-D tests until I'm satisfied that it's trustworthy. It is a lot faster than anything I've ever owned, and I plan on running at least one first-run LL test on it, which is something I've been "unable" to do since perhaps the late 90s (or maybe the very early 00s?)

It's running Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit), running Mprime 26.3 (it says build 1, even though I grabbed it after the release of build 2?), and has 8GB of RAM.

Anyone want to make suggestions on what to do with it after I'm satisfied? And how long would you wait before deciding to be satisfied? (I don't mind hacking away at LL-D for a bit, but I figure it's well capable of moving onto things "bigger" and "better")
KingKurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 15:41   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKurly View Post
I'm adding an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T to GIMPS, right now I have it doing six LL-D tests until I'm satisfied that it's trustworthy. It is a lot faster than anything I've ever owned, and I plan on running at least one first-run LL test on it, which is something I've been "unable" to do since perhaps the late 90s (or maybe the very early 00s?)

It's running Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit), running Mprime 26.3 (it says build 1, even though I grabbed it after the release of build 2?), and has 8GB of RAM.

Anyone want to make suggestions on what to do with it after I'm satisfied? And how long would you wait before deciding to be satisfied? (I don't mind hacking away at LL-D for a bit, but I figure it's well capable of moving onto things "bigger" and "better")
As long as the CPU temperatures aren't looking bad and you don't have a particularly extreme overclock, I'd be satisfied with going straight to first-time LLs as soon as the initial 6 LL-Ds finish (presuming that they turn out to be correct).

As for what to run on it at that point: being the fast, modern machine that it is, it could handle LL, LL-D, and P-1 with aplomb. LL-D and P-1 are the more particularly needed of the two by the project; but I'd go with whatever you'd most like to do. (Just not TF...there's plenty of that already. ) Personally, in your case I might put one core on LL, two on P-1, and three on LL-D. (Possibly 3 P-1/2 LL-D if you've got enough ram that you won't miss 3*500MB or so.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 23:10   #3
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

Quote:
And how long would you wait before deciding to be satisfied?
Running LL-D (a.k.a. DC, for double check) tests to check the stability of a machine isn't as fast and accurate as doing a torture test, although it does mean that your work in testing the stability is doing useful work for GIMPS. With a torture test, errors are detected immediately (unlike DC, which needs to wait until the end to see if yours matches the previous result), and if it looks like there's a problem, there's no question as to whether it's your computer or the last one that did the test that made the error.
If I were you, I'd run the torture test with all cores for a day or two, then be satisfied with the stability. Then you could finish up the DCs and move on to whatever you want to do (keeping in mind mdettweiler's suggestions).

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2010-10-18 at 23:10
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 00:37   #4
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

943510 Posts

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...om+II+X6+1045T

Where'd you get it? in a Dell branded premade PC?
I am just curious - I don't see it sold as a part.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 03:15   #5
KingKurly

Sep 2010
Annapolis, MD, USA

33×7 Posts

All, thanks for the advice so far. Not sure why I hadn't considered using the torture test; I think I was mostly interested in the stability testing doing useful work. The first round of LL-D was not all started at the same time; I ran a little bit of TF, P-1, ECM on a few of the cores, so I will have LL-D ending on the 21st, two on the 25th, and then one each on 28/29/30. If allowed to 'stay the course', the first core would finish a new one on the 31st; so it looks like an LL-D using 1280K FFTs takes "about ten days" (actually "about" 9.5 days).

Now I have to figure out if I want to shuffle around my assignments for my existing computers... my laptop has a TL-58 (Turion64 X-2, I think it's 1.9GHz) with 2GB of RAM and currently does one core of LL-D at a clip of about one every three weeks and one core of P-1 at a clip of about one every 5 days or so. My old desktop is an Athlon XP 1600+ with 1.5GB of RAM and I had it doing TF but now it is doing ECM on small Mersenne numbers... slowly. And my third machine is a dual P3 1.4GHz, one core doing TF and the other doing P-1 (only because it has ECC RAM). ((I could have sworn I posted this paragraph before leaving the office, but it must be sitting there waiting for me to hit 'submit'... guess this'll suffice!)) But maybe it would be worth considering the relegation of all my older PCs to TF? Or maybe not? I'm sure there are many opinions, and I'd be interested in hearing at least some of them. ;)

Batalov and any other interested parties, the processor came in a pre-built Asus CG1330-07. I normally build my machines, but got lazy and decided to go premade this time. As you can tell from my list of machines above, it still absolutely smokes everything I've used in the past... combined! (The increase in computing power never fails to amaze me.)
KingKurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 04:01   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
But maybe it would be worth considering the relegation of all my older PCs to TF? Or maybe not? I'm sure there are many opinions, and I'd be interested in hearing at least some of them. ;)
Since, as you describe, your older PCs are handling non-TF worktypes pretty well (even if not quite as quickly as the X6), I'd stick with what they're doing now. GIMPS has a glut of TF resources at its disposal relative to the other worktypes, so IMO I wouldn't move resources that are doing perfectly good non-TF work to TF.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote