mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2016-03-04, 23:21   #441
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

3·19·47 Posts

Is the modem only standalone without router so you need an extra router? Do you have access from the linux box to the router over wifi?
rebirther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-04, 23:49   #442
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

101000001010112 Posts

I need the router for my wireless devices...my laptop and my IPhone.

The Linux server box is wired. I've tried wiring it directly into the modem. No luck. I've tried wiring it into the router (the usual setup). No luck.

I've tried completely disconnecting the router from the modem and plugging everything directly into the modem (of course laptop and IPhone won't connect since they are wireless). No luck.

I've even tried a wired connection from my laptop directly to the modem. Still no luck.

Only my newest Windows7 machine connects. My older Windows Vista laptop does not. My older Linux server machine as well as the Linux crunching machines do not. I can't help but think that Time Warner did something that has effectively made the older connections obsolete. I can't believe that could be the case but you never know.

Time Warner has done something with the IP or the network. These devices did not just disconnect on their own. I just need to get them to own up to it so we can resolve the issue.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2016-03-04 at 23:53
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-04, 23:51   #443
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

What if you disconnect everything from the modem and attach everything to the router? Does the entire LAN function as it should?
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-05, 09:43   #444
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

29216 Posts

The dyndns will not update unless the server gets outbound for at least 1 hour.
If only one machine gets outgoing then the modem may be in bridge-mode.
Assume the tech has had basic training: 1 router + 1 machine
Check NAT is enabled. It may not be the default.
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-05, 15:13   #445
pepi37

Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

24·3·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I need the router for my wireless devices...my laptop and my IPhone.

The Linux server box is wired. I've tried wiring it directly into the modem. No luck. I've tried wiring it into the router (the usual setup). No luck.
Can you replace LAN card on Linux server?
Is LAN cable OK? ( maybe it is trivial thing to check...)
If you have onboard LAN card, replace it with PCIE or PCI Lan card.
Different sub-domain on new modem? ( 192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.1.1)
If you have fixed IP address you will never connect to Net.

Last fiddled with by pepi37 on 2016-03-05 at 15:26
pepi37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-05, 20:11   #446
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

7×13×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
The dyndns will not update unless the server gets outbound for at least 1 hour.
If only one machine gets outgoing then the modem may be in bridge-mode.
Assume the tech has had basic training: 1 router + 1 machine
Check NAT is enabled. It may not be the default.
I don't know what any of this means. Assume that I have had no training. :-)

I need to know what to do in a basic sense. Are you saying that I should disconnect everything from the modem and router for one hour?
Old 2016-03-06, 02:10   #447
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2×7×47 Posts

Not quite.
What we need to do is go through the config panels on the router config and check them.
I will PM you.
Old 2016-03-06, 08:15   #448
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Dave - if it helps, here are a couple details on how we set up Gary's network way back:

1) Most of the Linux boxes (all of them except for a couple that Gary reinstalled more recently) are on static IPs within the LAN. Most importantly, jeepford has a static IP (192.168.2.110). The router is on 192.168.2.1, and is configured to hand out dynamic IPs in the range 192.168.2.2-192.168.2.100; the Linux boxes with static IPs start at .101, in the order that Gary built them.

2) All other computers on the network (Gary's Windows desktop, the laptop, the iPhone, and one or two of the Linux crunching boxes) are on dynamic IPs.

3) The modem has always been in bridge mode, and the Belkin router has provided NAT for all the computers on the LAN. The modem was not a combined unit with a router in it - just a simple bridge modem. I'm not sure about the new modem Time Warner just gave him - I believe they give out a few kinds, some of them have routing capabilities and some don't.

Gary, just to confirm - your Windows desktop is connected directly to the back of your router, right? (not to one of the downstream Ethernet switches like the Linux boxes are?) And it's getting Internet right now, connected through the router?

I concur with Dave's suggestion - the only way to figure out what's going on is to look at the router config pages. You'll need to pull up http://192.168.2.1 in a web browser on your Windows desktop to access that. The specific things of interest I would suggest looking for are:

1. The router's external IP address and connection status - this should be on the front page after you log in. If you could take a screenshot of this and email it to Dave and I, we should be able to figure out something from that (or at least figure out what to ask you to do next ).

2. The "DHCP Client List" page. This will tell us whether the laptop, the iPhone, and the dynamic-IP crunching boxes are getting through to the router at all. Again, a screenshot would be helpful here.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2016-03-06 at 08:21
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-06, 08:34   #449
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Thinking about this a bit more...I have a possible theory (though please take it with a grain of salt since it's just a wild guess).

I recently got set up with Time Warner myself at home, and they gave me a new Arris modem (just a simple modem, like Gary's - you need a separate router). There's one Ethernet port on the back; you plug into it, and it connects you directly to the Internet. Easy peasy. However, I believe I remember when I looked at Gary's router config page in the past, it showed he was using PPPoE (for the uninitiated - this is a type of username/password authentication over Ethernet used by some cable providers) to "dial in" to Time Warner. So I'm wondering if Time Warner favored PPPoE in the past, but more recently transitioned to a direct-connection setup. If they just now turned off the PPPoE system, then it's possible Gary's router is trying to "dial in" with PPPoE when it should be just asking for a regular dynamic IP from Time Warner.

This theory doesn't explain everything, but it's the best I can come up with at the moment to even come close to making sense...

If this theory's correct, it means that something Time Warner did on their end is what caused the problem, but as far as they're concerned, the problem is on your end, because the problem is actually that your router is not talking to their systems using the latest settings. Your router (despite its age) is perfectly capable of using the new settings, but I think we might need to change a setting to make that happen.

In any case, my previous advice stands: take a screenshot of the router config page and send it to Dave and I. We should be able to direct you more from there.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-06, 10:48   #450
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

101000001010112 Posts

I sent all of the info. from my router config page to David via PM. I will forward it to you. What you said makes a little bit of sense to me. They did give me a new Arris modem but it didn't make any difference. When I went to whatismyip, I see that Time Warner's location is in Virginia and that some update was done to that on Feb. 23rd. That's about the date that all of this happened.

I hate that they can just do stuff like this and it's so difficult to figure out. Their tech would not take responsibility at all. He replaced the modem and wouldn't even check to see if my Linux box would connect. He's been out the last two times that I've had a problem and to say that he has been less than helpful would be an understatement. Both times I've had to call them back out a second time. Needless to say, I've requested a different tech this time.

If we or they cannot get this figured out, I am firing Time Warner business class and it may be an even longer outage. This has gotten ridiculous.
Old 2016-03-06, 10:57   #451
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

65810 Posts

the new modem is a wireless router & modem, not a simple modem
that's part of the problem then, now that I see your description.
I PM'd you both with the technical document for the device as I will be AFK for the work day
Please use PM to solve this offline.