mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Science & Technology

Old 2008-07-01, 15:37   #56
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×3×1,931 Posts
Default Another "free energy" scam - the Coolsurge A.C.

Saw this today in one of those cheesy full-page newspaper ads "disguised" as a headline-worthy news article, with "advertisement" in very fine print in the page margins. Can anyone spot the little thermodynamic conundrum inherent in this "little cooling miracle from the China coast"? From the website
Quote:
The Cool Surge eco-friendly air cooler is a work of engineering genius from the China coast so advanced that no windows, vents or freon are required. It is as easy to use as a baby’s vaporizer and even includes the four hour extra cooling power of the glacier ice blocks. It uses the same electricity as a 60 watt light bulb, yet it blasts out ice cooled air. The hi-efficiency motor cools the air around the unit up to ten degrees so you’ll instantly feel cool and refreshed. The 3 cooling levels and auto shut off function put all the comfort controls right at your finger tips. It’s so impressive that it even comes with a full year Money Back Guarantee.
Note: careful parsing of the ad-blather reveals what the "secret cooling miracle" really is.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 16:23   #57
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Saw this today in one of those cheesy full-page newspaper ads "disguised" as a headline-worthy news article, with "advertisement" in very fine print in the page margins. Can anyone spot the little thermodynamic conundrum inherent in this "little cooling miracle from the China coast"? From the website

Note: careful parsing of the ad-blather reveals what the "secret cooling miracle" really is.
My instant reaction was "ice cooled air", though I'd spell it "ice-cooled air". Either I'm missing something or it's an unusually easy question.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 17:02   #58
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5·1,201 Posts

Quote:

There is no need to mention "ice" twice unless the thing needs pre-loading with ice before it can work a stated. It would seem it comes with some "glacier ice blocks" that are presumably filled with water and subsequently frozen somehow before being placed into the thing.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 20:09   #59
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2D4216 Posts

Correct - the thing requires you to provide it with blocks of ice, which it then blows air over using a "high efficiency fan". Amazing technological breakthrough, that. Perhaps it's just a technicality, but I don't see any mention of a requirement for an "auxiliary refrigeration unit" in the advertisement. Nor mention that unless you live next to a glacier or frozen lake, use of said auxiliary refrigeration unit in conjunction with the CoolSurge will actually have a net *warming* effect on the interior of your home, in contrast to a conventional AC unit, which at least has the "low-tech" feature of blowing the hot air *out* of the house.
Old 2008-07-02, 06:57   #60
Visu

Nov 2006
Singapore

3·52 Posts

Quote:

Actually it looks to me like an evaporative cooler.These have a reservoir to top up with water.You could add normal tap water and get a noticeable cooling effect although not as much as with an air-conditioner. There is no auxillary cooling unit to cool the water in the reservoir.

Not sure how they are going to stuff the 4 glacier ice blocks into the small hole for the reservoir though.Most of the webpage looks like it was written by a marketing department that has never seen the actual product.

Last fiddled with by Visu on 2008-07-02 at 07:03
Visu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 12:53   #61
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Yesterday I heard this exchange:
"He's as cool as a cucumber"
"That's been in the fridge".
I assumed that the tennis commentator concerned
was aware the cucumbers were not immune from
acquiring the ambient temperature.
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 13:15   #62
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·72·47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visu View Post
Not sure how they are going to stuff the 4 glacier ice blocks into the small hole for the reservoir though.Most of the webpage looks like it was written by a marketing department that has never seen the actual product.
And often marketing is a poor translation. And the translator is only mechanically familiar with the target language, but not the culture.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 03:12   #63
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
"He's as cool as a cucumber"
"That's been in the fridge".
I assumed that the tennis commentator concerned
was aware the cucumbers were not immune from
acquiring the ambient temperature.
I recall reading that a certain category of vegetable/fruit, including cucumbers, has the property of remaining noticeably cooler than ambient temperature for a while after harvest (and this was the origin of "cool as a cucumber"). I think this was attributed to a particular mechanism of moisture evaporation in those vegetables/fruits.

However, I am unable to quickly locate any such statement.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2008-07-03 at 03:17
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 03:43   #64
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

135658 Posts

Well it seems Steorn has not yet died.

'Free energy' firm generated €8m in funding

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article linked above
It anticipates a full launch before next summer, and says any further public demonstrations of the technology will now coincide with the commercial launch.
Hmm, "next summer" never comes, so I guess they are safe to continue developing forever.
Old 2008-12-01, 12:42   #65
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

135658 Posts

And indeed they live on. Is seems soon they will be giving talks around the world.

What is there to talk about? They never say anything anyway, let alone actually showing anything.
Old 2008-12-01, 22:58   #66
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×3×1,931 Posts

"Perpetuum Gullibile"

LOL, mysterious "technical difficulties" keep them from doing the simple "lightbulb test" [or any similar sanity check] for years on end despite the "fact" that have "robust" demonstrations of their claims.

Anyone stupid enough to invest in this deserves to lose all their money.