mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-18, 15:26   #1
acerdeville
 
Jun 2011

28 Posts
Default CPU @ 100%

Just installed GIMP, and as soon as I started the program, my cpu maxed out. I restarted, and it maxed out again. Opened my process manager, and GIMP was using between 49-96%. I understood that it would not affect my performance very much, however with the CPU maxed, I can't do much. I closed the program, and my CPU dropped down to about 10%.
So what do I need to do?
acerdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 16:18   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·941 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerdeville View Post
Just installed GIMP, and as soon as I started the program, my cpu maxed out. I restarted, and it maxed out again. Opened my process manager, and GIMP was using between 49-96%. I understood that it would not affect my performance very much, however with the CPU maxed, I can't do much. I closed the program, and my CPU dropped down to about 10%.
So what do I need to do?
You don't need to do anything and the behaviour you observe is normal. The program is designed to use all available CPU cycles at very low priority, which means it grabs the CPU only when nothing else wants it and gets out of the way the instant anything else wants to do something.

My machines spend virtually their entire life running at 100% CPU and yet hardly ever does it impinge on interactive work.


Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2011-06-18 at 16:19 Reason: Fix minor typo
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 17:16   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

101001000100002 Posts
Default

Yes, this is normal and it is fine.

The Prime95 program only fills in the gaps when nothing else is running. As you saw, when it is not running typically between 90-95% of the CPU time is wasted, Prime95 only takes that time.

As you noted, you saw 49%-96%. The first was likely while Prime95 had started a thread on 1 core and was waiting to start it on another.

And since Paul neglected to say it, "Welcome to the world of Prime Crunching".
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 17:26   #4
acerdeville
 
Jun 2011

102 Posts
Default

Thanks guys, I just misread the info. At this rate I'll find a prime in no time.
acerdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 01:24   #5
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerdeville View Post
however with the CPU maxed, I can't do much.
I think that if you'd actually tried doing something (word processing, browsing, whatever...), instead of only looking at the CPU-busy meter, you would have found that you could actually do whatever you wanted to do.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 02:45   #6
Christenson
 
Christenson's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerdeville View Post
Thanks guys, I just misread the info. At this rate I'll find a prime in no time.
More likely you will find a non-prime in no time...the collective prime-crunchers have been looking for Mersenne Prime #48 (which may or may not be the 48th Mersenne Prime) for a couple years now...but nonetheless, good luck!
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 08:11   #7
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
More likely you will find a non-prime in no time...the collective prime-crunchers have been looking for Mersenne Prime #48 (which may or may not be the 48th Mersenne Prime) for a couple years now...but nonetheless, good luck!
His chances of finding a prime are quite good: most found factors are prime.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 19:58   #8
LiquidNitrogen
 
LiquidNitrogen's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Henlopen Acres, Delaware

13310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
His chances of finding a prime are quite good: most found factors are prime.
LOL!

Very funny, and equally true.

I think the OP meant "Mersenne Prime" though.

If you look at the total GHz-days reported on the Mersenne.org page, and divide that by 13 (the number of them found by GIMPS) that's the average GHz-days per prime.

Put your own GHz-days in the numerator, and that number in the denominator, and that is roughly your odds of finding a Mersenne.
LiquidNitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 21:23   #9
Brian-E
 
Brian-E's Avatar
 
"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2·3·5·109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidNitrogen View Post
If you look at the total GHz-days reported on the Mersenne.org page, and divide that by 13 (the number of them found by GIMPS) that's the average GHz-days per prime.

Put your own GHz-days in the numerator, and that number in the denominator, and that is roughly your odds of finding a Mersenne.
Hmm, that will be very very roughly.
A sizeable proportion of that total GHz-days will be factoring work-types which would not in themselves discover a Mersenne Prime, or double checking which would be extremely unlikely to (never has so far). So obviously your work-type is very important: it needs to be LL and highly preferably first-time testing.
And the LL-work which is being done now is on much larger numbers than in the early days of GIMPS, and these numbers require far more GHz-days to test, plus it's also reasonable to assume that the Mersenne Primes will be more sparsely distributed in this current working zone: so the LL-work now will discover far fewer primes relative to GHz-days than the early work did.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 00:11   #10
LiquidNitrogen
 
LiquidNitrogen's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Henlopen Acres, Delaware

100001012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Hmm, that will be very very roughly.
A sizeable proportion of that total GHz-days will be factoring work-types which would not in themselves discover a Mersenne Prime, or double checking which would be extremely unlikely to (never has so far). So obviously your work-type is very important: it needs to be LL and highly preferably first-time testing.
And the LL-work which is being done now is on much larger numbers than in the early days of GIMPS, and these numbers require far more GHz-days to test, plus it's also reasonable to assume that the Mersenne Primes will be more sparsely distributed in this current working zone: so the LL-work now will discover far fewer primes relative to GHz-days than the early work did.
So I have 3 cores ddoing LL and 1 core doing D, so that means only the 3 cores are searching for Mersenne primes?
LiquidNitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 02:40   #11
Christenson
 
Christenson's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Monticello

70316 Posts
Default

Yep, core #4 is, however, doing something important: Making sure that the first LL test indeed correctly reported that the exponent was a composite. There's a slight (probably worse than 1 in a million) chance that an exponent was incorrectly reported as composite -- it both has to be prime, and the first LL test has to have incorrectly reported it was composite.
P-1 is also good work for a CPU; I'm finding factors on average in significantly fewer GHz days than it would take to do two LL tests. You just have to give it a lot (a Gigabyte or so) of memory.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 11:12.


Wed May 18 11:12:06 UTC 2022 up 34 days, 9:13, 0 users, load averages: 1.30, 1.16, 1.25

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

โ‰  ยฑ โˆ“ รท ร— ยท โˆ’ โˆš โ€ฐ โŠ— โŠ• โŠ– โŠ˜ โŠ™ โ‰ค โ‰ฅ โ‰ฆ โ‰ง โ‰จ โ‰ฉ โ‰บ โ‰ป โ‰ผ โ‰ฝ โŠ โŠ โŠ‘ โŠ’ ยฒ ยณ ยฐ
โˆ  โˆŸ ยฐ โ‰… ~ โ€– โŸ‚ โซ›
โ‰ก โ‰œ โ‰ˆ โˆ โˆž โ‰ช โ‰ซ โŒŠโŒ‹ โŒˆโŒ‰ โˆ˜ โˆ โˆ โˆ‘ โˆง โˆจ โˆฉ โˆช โจ€ โŠ• โŠ— ๐–• ๐–– ๐–— โŠฒ โŠณ
โˆ… โˆ– โˆ โ†ฆ โ†ฃ โˆฉ โˆช โŠ† โŠ‚ โŠ„ โŠŠ โŠ‡ โŠƒ โŠ… โŠ‹ โŠ– โˆˆ โˆ‰ โˆ‹ โˆŒ โ„• โ„ค โ„š โ„ โ„‚ โ„ต โ„ถ โ„ท โ„ธ ๐“Ÿ
ยฌ โˆจ โˆง โŠ• โ†’ โ† โ‡’ โ‡ โ‡” โˆ€ โˆƒ โˆ„ โˆด โˆต โŠค โŠฅ โŠข โŠจ โซค โŠฃ โ€ฆ โ‹ฏ โ‹ฎ โ‹ฐ โ‹ฑ
โˆซ โˆฌ โˆญ โˆฎ โˆฏ โˆฐ โˆ‡ โˆ† ฮด โˆ‚ โ„ฑ โ„’ โ„“
๐›ข๐›ผ ๐›ฃ๐›ฝ ๐›ค๐›พ ๐›ฅ๐›ฟ ๐›ฆ๐œ€๐œ– ๐›ง๐œ ๐›จ๐œ‚ ๐›ฉ๐œƒ๐œ— ๐›ช๐œ„ ๐›ซ๐œ… ๐›ฌ๐œ† ๐›ญ๐œ‡ ๐›ฎ๐œˆ ๐›ฏ๐œ‰ ๐›ฐ๐œŠ ๐›ฑ๐œ‹ ๐›ฒ๐œŒ ๐›ด๐œŽ๐œ ๐›ต๐œ ๐›ถ๐œ ๐›ท๐œ™๐œ‘ ๐›ธ๐œ’ ๐›น๐œ“ ๐›บ๐œ”