mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2006-02-23, 02:38   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts
Default Running Prime95 with minimal phone activity

I have a friend who's exceedingly poor because of an illness, but I'd like to try to convince him to run Prime95 on the computer he managed to save for. My main concern is phone modem access, which might involve a long distance call for him.

I was hoping I could get some ideas on how to make the Prime95 phone call as short and as infrequent as possible. Also, if there's an update to the program, I simply want the program to say so instead of automatically downloading the update(I don't know if this happens or not).

Thanks in advance.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-23, 06:54   #2
patrik

"Patrik Johansson"
Aug 2002
Uppsala, Sweden

1101010012 Posts

Change the "Always have at least this many days of work queued up" setting to 30 days (under Test/Primenet). The rest of the default settings are fine, I think. (Make sure that "Use dial-up ..." under Test/Primenet is selected.) Just connect to the Internet once a month and watch the Prime95 window until it has communicated. There is no need to connect more often e.g. when you finish an exponent. There are no automatic updates of software for Prime95.

That said, and not knowing the phone and electricty prices, I think the cost of the increased electricity use will be higher, maybe much higher, than the telephone costs. So unless electricity is inlcuded in the rent or so, you should consider this.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 02:50   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik
...Not knowing the phone and electricty prices, I think the cost of the increased electricity use will be higher, maybe much higher, than the telephone costs. So unless electricity is inlcuded in the rent or so, you should consider this.
He lives in subsidized housing because of a handicap.(please don't ask what it is, I'm just going to say you probably wouldn't be able to figure out what it is even if you knew him fairly well.) I used to live in that same housing development, and I believe electrical costs were included in the rent.

I don't have as much money as him, but I live with my parents while he was kicked out a few years ago by his parents. Because of this, when I get back in the workforce I'm going to offer to pay his first $15 to $20 of Internet fees for the first few months. After being baptized into Christianity, the Internet is one of the best things ever to happen to me, and I want to spread this wonderful addiction as much as possible.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 14:50   #4
dsouza123

Sep 2002

29616 Posts

If the Advanced menu is used Manual communication can be enabled.

in the prime.ini file
Advanced=1
ManualComm=1

Googling for low cost internet brought up a sponsored link
(in the right side column),
nationwide dialup is available for just under $7 a month
with 46,000 local access numbers.

Maybe this or a similar ISP with a low monthly fee
and a local number would work for your friend.
dsouza123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 05:27   #5
Unregistered

10011011110102 Posts

The government keeps cutting funding for science and math research.

Let's make it all back through subsidised electricity.

Someone should start selling low-cost PCs with Prime95 pre-installed. :)
Old 2006-08-14, 04:10   #6
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The government keeps cutting funding for science and math research.

Let's make it all back through subsidised electricity.

Someone should start selling low-cost PCs with Prime95 pre-installed. :)
yes kind of like the aol desktop you buy it for the parts whipe all the aol ware then use it for a farm... mabey require 24 month contract to run prime95 and produce x ammount of p90 years.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote