mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-10-07, 23:02   #1
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25×3 Posts
Default Computer overheated during PRP job, can't be repaired

How do I remove it from my profile and "recycle" the exponent it was testing? Here is the link to the hardware:

https://www.mersenne.org/editcpu/?g=...72a7f1031db522

I had full insurance on the computer and a replacement is on the way:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ro...?skuId=6455823

Last fiddled with by piforbreakfast on 2021-10-07 at 23:06
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-07, 23:25   #2
slandrum
 
Jan 2021
California

241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piforbreakfast View Post
How do I remove it from my profile and "recycle" the exponent it was testing? Here is the link to the hardware:

https://www.mersenne.org/editcpu/?g=...72a7f1031db522

I had full insurance on the computer and a replacement is on the way:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ro...?skuId=6455823
Go to: https://www.mersenne.org/workload/ and you can unreserve any exponents that are assigned to you. Instructions are on the page.

If you want to remove a machine, you can go to: https://www.mersenne.org/cpus/ and remove any machines that you don't wish to be registered any more.

BTW - no-one else can see your machines or assignments pages (through the web interface) because they aren't logged in as you.

Last fiddled with by slandrum on 2021-10-07 at 23:27
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 00:24   #3
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·7·211 Posts
Default

If you had significant time invested in work in progress, and have backups, you could restore the working directory onto the new machine, then perhaps apply a prime95 version upgrade on the new machine, and continue on.
https://mersenneforum.org/showpost.p...61&postcount=4
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 01:07   #4
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25×3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
If you had significant time invested in work in progress, and have backups, you could restore the working directory onto the new machine, then perhaps apply a prime95 version upgrade on the new machine, and continue on.
https://mersenneforum.org/showpost.p...61&postcount=4
I had less than 10 percent done, so no worries. I will definitely keep this in mind for future assignments, though.

I think what had happened was that the desktop tower was sitting on a hardwood floor close to my cat's favorite window and cat hair had slowly accumulated in the space under the tower and had blocked the vent from circulating air. The new computer will be nowhere near the cat's favorite window.
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 01:48   #5
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

10011110010012 Posts
Default

I've seen lots of computers overheat, never seen one damaged from the event. Weird.
You couldn't just blow out the cat fur and restart?
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 04:13   #6
a1call
 
a1call's Avatar
 
"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

22·3·181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piforbreakfast View Post

I had full insurance on the computer and a replacement is on the way:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ro...?skuId=6455823
The specs indicate air cooling. To avoid/reduce-harm-from another overheating event, it might be appropriate to switch to liquid cooling.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 04:26   #7
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25×3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
The specs indicate air cooling. To avoid/reduce-harm-from another overheating event, it might be appropriate to switch to liquid cooling.
The computer I had used liquid cooling. I wonder if I should exchange the one that's on the way.

Last fiddled with by piforbreakfast on 2021-10-08 at 04:26
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 04:59   #8
a1call
 
a1call's Avatar
 
"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

22·3·181 Posts
Default

If you had overheating with liquid cooling, then perhaps the cooling system failed. But as a general case you should be better off with liquid cooling as per advice from the specs when you click on the question mark.
To declare something as modular as a PC, as “can not be repaired” is a bit illogical. You may or may not save some money if you replaced the damaged components say the CPU and the cooling system. But lots of variables can be at play such as changing prices and time/cost of repairs.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2021-10-08 at 05:00
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 06:44   #9
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25·3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
If you had overheating with liquid cooling, then perhaps the cooling system failed. But as a general case you should be better off with liquid cooling as per advice from the specs when you click on the question mark.
To declare something as modular as a PC, as “can not be repaired” is a bit illogical. You may or may not save some money if you replaced the damaged components say the CPU and the cooling system. But lots of variables can be at play such as changing prices and time/cost of repairs.
The computer that's on the way has a faster processor. Should I still try to exchange it for a liquid cooling system?

Last fiddled with by piforbreakfast on 2021-10-08 at 06:44
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 07:46   #10
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

5×1,013 Posts
Default

No. You found the cat hair is the cause, not the type of cooling.
I'm still unclear why you took it back, but if you bought cheese and they covered it you come out ahead. {shrug}
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 07:56   #11
piforbreakfast
 
Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

1408 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
No. You found the cat hair is the cause, not the type of cooling.
I'm still unclear why you took it back, but if you bought cheese and they covered it you come out ahead. {shrug}
I took it back to Best Buy which was where I bought it because it kept overheating and wouldn't run more than about 15 minutes before shutting down. The extended maintenance plan I had covered complete repair or replacement. I just hope the fan will be sufficient for this new computer to handle crunching numbers for primes. Like I mentioned above, this new model that is on the way has a more powerful processor than the old one but doesn't have a liquid cooling system.
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can a RAM-less computer run? jasong Lounge 20 2012-11-26 00:22
I Need Help to Add a New Computer gamer30 Information & Answers 3 2012-08-04 01:18
my laptop overheated! ixfd64 Hardware 3 2011-01-16 21:32
New Computer Housemouse Hardware 16 2008-06-09 21:04
help ~ what's my computer doing! merlinh Software 2 2004-05-09 21:50

All times are UTC. The time now is 09:07.


Sat Nov 27 09:07:28 UTC 2021 up 127 days, 3:36, 0 users, load averages: 0.92, 1.44, 1.29

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.