mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2021-10-20, 20:05   #1
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

25·3 Posts
Default Anyone know what kind of hardware SR Base is using?

I guess I have hardware envy and wish I could run a lot more numbers more quickly on faster machines.
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 20:07   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·32·563 Posts

SRBase is using BOINC to share work. So there are dozen(s) of users contributing. This make for some impress amount of work being done.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 21:01   #3
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

88016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piforbreakfast View Post
I guess I have hardware envy and wish I could run a lot more numbers more quickly on faster machines.
Just be patient. Tesla knew what he was talking about. It's only a matter of time before the computers on the internet will collaborate as a single Mega-Core computer.

Quote:
When wireless is perfectly applied the whole earth will be converted into a huge brain, which in fact it is…. We shall be able to communicate with one another instantly, irrespective of distance. Not only this, but through television and telephony we shall see and hear one another as perfectly as though were face to face, despite intervening distances of thousands of miles; and the instruments through which we shall be able to do this will be amazingly simple compared with our present telephone. A man will be able to carry one in his vest pocket.
https://www.openculture.com/2019/11/...e-in-1926.html
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 09:53   #4
Lariliss

"Lariliss"
Oct 2021
UK

13 Posts

SRBase-BOINC is an application for solving Mathematical problems of Sierpinski/Riesel Base.

It can run under Windows, Linux, Macintosh and can be implemented as Virtual Machine.

This FAQ list should be helpful to start.
http://www.amdusers.com/forum/showth...NC-Clients-FAQ

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-10-21 at 14:52 Reason: xingif topsy
Lariliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-07, 03:48   #5
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

30816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Quote:
When wireless is perfectly applied the whole earth will be converted into a huge brain, which in fact it is…. We shall be able to communicate with one another instantly, irrespective of distance. Not only this, but through television and telephony we shall see and hear one another as perfectly as though were face to face, despite intervening distances of thousands of miles; and the instruments through which we shall be able to do this will be amazingly simple compared with our present telephone. A man will be able to carry one in his vest pocket.
https://www.openculture.com/2019/11/...e-in-1926.html
He was so close to being right... but vests are out.
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-07, 15:12   #6
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

27·17 Posts

He also called a computer a brain. You have to keep in mind that the interview was conducted in 1926. At the time neither PC’s nor Dressed-Shirt-Chest-Pockets existed. He described the future in terms best understandable to his contemporaries.

Quote:

How Pocket Tees Came to Be: The History of Shirt Pockets
….
Chest pockets on t shirts became common in the 1950s and 1960s as a result of the decline of the waistcoat and because more and more people were wearing t shirts as outerwear. The chest pocket provided a convenient location to store cigarettes, pens, and other small items.
https://www.shirtmax.com/blog/pocket...shirt-pockets/

Plus, vests are making a comeback.
ETA BTW, television was invented in 1927 and Tube-Screens width-minimums were constrained by the maximum electron-deflection possible at Main's Voltage and what could pass through a standard door. Point being they were not a flat screen/device till the invention of LCD's. Tesla's vision is truly mindboggling.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2021-11-07 at 15:30
Old 2021-11-07, 22:40   #7
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

172F16 Posts

Quote:
they were not a flat screen/device till the invention of LCD's. Tesla's vision is truly mindboggling.
1) Techwalla says otherwise; monochrome plasma 1964, color plasma 1997.

2) Tesla was amazingly on the mark on some things and equally off on others (long range wireless power transmission being an example of the latter).
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-07, 23:15   #8
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22×7×359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
2) Tesla was amazingly on the mark on some things and equally off on others (long range wireless power transmission being an example of the latter).
Completely agree with this.

I often have to bite my tongue *hard* when the same people who think 5G will cause cancer complain that their Phones have to be plugged in to be charged.

I don't even bother to ask any of them if they have ever built their own crystal radios...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 00:21   #9
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

27×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
That is a Can-of-Worms and open to debate with no resolution possible since his seized documents (after his death) have never been released to date.
There have been demonstrations/news of Evanescent-Waves-Tunneling of up to a couple of meters (good luck finding the articles). And there are those who claim this was the basis of his Wireless-Power-Transmission. So perhaps he was further ahead than we are.

I can tell you that IMHO Tesla's Character-Assassination is continuous to this day.
Old 2021-11-08, 00:34   #10
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22×7×359 Posts

Quote:
I can tell you that IMHO Tesla's Character-Assassination is continuous to this day.
Please forgive me for answering to a question for Ken. But could you please support your claim with evidence?

Some of us are really quite serious.

We notice things...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 01:13   #11
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

27·17 Posts

Assuming you know what "Evanescent-Waves" are, FTR I haven't got a clue.

Quote:
In Colorado Springs, where he stayed from May 1899 until 1900, Tesla made what he regarded as his most important discovery-- terrestrial stationary waves. By this discovery he proved that the Earth could be used as a conductor and would be as responsive as a tuning fork to electrical vibrations of a certain frequency. He also lighted 200 lamps without wires from a distance of 25 miles( 40 kilometers) and created man-made lightning.
http://www.teslasociety.com/biography.htm

ETA: The same claim appears here:

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Nikola-Tesla

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2021-11-08 at 01:16