mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2021-10-25, 13:22   #23
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

2×37×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGamer View Post
Yes!!! The first DOS MW2 versions might be considered crude but the 3D accelerated versions of MW2 still hold up today.
We had a version that was both DOS and Win95. It had a very cool joystick (with a hat) included. We think it was $100 at the time.

We also loved the original Warcraft game. WC2 was pretty good, too.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-27, 20:56   #24
RetroGamer

Oct 2021
Houston, TX

3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
DOSBox works pretty well in my experience.
Yes - DOSBox is excellent! One of my simulator games runs better on DOSBox than it did in its native DOS. I can use digital joysticks and other controllers that didn’t even exist when the game came out.

The reason for keeping my retro PC in top form is to run 3dfx games that only work to their full potential under Windows 98.

M1Tank Platoon 2 - uses Glide - can run on Windows 10 with a lot of work but does not look right and the videos do not play. FAIL

MechWarrior 3 - only runs worth a darn on Windows 98. Crashes on XP and doesn’t even run on anything past that.

Panzer Commander, iPanzer’44, Star Wars Racer, etc…..you won’t get any of those to run well on new computers. DOSBox is awesome, though.
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-28, 01:45   #25
RetroGamer

Oct 2021
Houston, TX

3·5 Posts

Quick question let’s say, I run the “Torture test” for 2 or 3 days just to make sure everything’s running ok….

What happens if the computer discovers a new prime number? Is that even possible?

Also, what happens if the CPU is actually failing? Prime95 stops with an error? BSOD? Windows reboots?

I confess, I’ve just run the thing like an ignoramous without really knowing what it’s doing (aside from math problems to find prime numbers).
Old 2021-10-28, 01:53   #26
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1012410 Posts

"Torture tests" don't test numbers for primality. But, if you did find a new prime your machine should beep like the old ^G sound. 2 days is nowhere near enough time test a single number. Old machines would have to run months to test one of our double checks.

If Prime95 finds problems it will say so on the screen. If the machine fails bad enough, it may BSOD from heat.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-29, 06:29   #27
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

5,939 Posts

Quote:
Yes - DOSBox is excellent! One of my simulator games runs better on DOSBox than it did in its native DOS. I can use digital joysticks and other controllers that didn’t even exist when the game came out.

The reason for keeping my retro PC in top form is to run 3dfx games that only work to their full potential under Windows 98.

M1Tank Platoon 2 - uses Glide - can run on Windows 10 with a lot of work but does not look right and the videos do not play. FAIL

MechWarrior 3 - only runs worth a darn on Windows 98. Crashes on XP and doesn’t even run on anything past that.

Panzer Commander, iPanzer’44, Star Wars Racer, etc…..you won’t get any of those to run well on new computers. DOSBox is awesome, though.
Have you tried running any of these on Linux? Wine can sometimes run old windows programs better than windows itself.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-31, 06:16   #28
RetroGamer

Oct 2021
Houston, TX

3·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
"Torture tests" don't test numbers for primality. But, if you did find a new prime your machine should beep like the old ^G sound. 2 days is nowhere near enough time test a single number. Old machines would have to run months to test one of our double checks.

If Prime95 finds problems it will say so on the screen. If the machine fails bad enough, it may BSOD from heat.
Thanks for the quick reply and info. If torture tests don’t test numbers for primarily, what is the CPU doing when we run a torture test? After all this time using the torture tests, I have to admit, I don’t know.
Old 2021-10-31, 06:20   #29
RetroGamer

Oct 2021
Houston, TX

3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Have you tried running any of these on Linux? Wine can sometimes run old windows programs better than windows itself.
No, I haven’t and I bet you’re right. What would wine do, run an emulated version of Win98 or can one install and run an old 3dfx game directly somehow?

Just wondering too - the old desktop I’m using - I doubt that would run anything but a 20 year old version of Linux. So - you’re talking about Linux on a modern machine with glide wrappers and such, right?
Old 2021-10-31, 07:00   #30
RetroGamer

Oct 2021
Houston, TX

3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We had a version that was both DOS and Win95. It had a very cool joystick (with a hat) included. We think it was $100 at the time.

We also loved the original Warcraft game. WC2 was pretty good, too.

Yes, that’s what I’m talking about! The days when a comparatively complex game (compared to todays FPS games) was sold in stores bundled with a joystick with a hat switch!!!!

Or a copy of a game included with a high-end graphics card that’s specifically written to work with that card.

I really do miss the late ‘90s. That’s why I want to keep a few of those classic desktops around and running well. That’s also why I want to use Prime95 - to make sure they’re healthy.
Old 2021-10-31, 13:55   #31
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100111100011002 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply and info. If torture tests don’t test numbers for primarily, what is the CPU doing when we run a torture test? After all this time using the torture tests, I have to admit, I don’t know.
It is going through the motions, but it is not getting any assignments from the server (if you are using the "torture test" option from the menu.) It do all the things and run through all the different FFT sizes to test the machine without doing productive work. Yes, it will work on a number(s). But, that number(s) IIRC is already is known not to be prime.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 07:41   #32
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

5,939 Posts

Quote:
No, I haven’t and I bet you’re right. What would wine do, run an emulated version of Win98 or can one install and run an old 3dfx game directly somehow?

Just wondering too - the old desktop I’m using - I doubt that would run anything but a 20 year old version of Linux. So - you’re talking about Linux on a modern machine with glide wrappers and such, right?
Yes Linux on a modern machine. Wine emulates a Windows environment for progrmas on Linux. While they do update it for modern programs it runs old programs very well as that is when it was developed. You might also try win 98 on modern hardware or under a virtual machine.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 08:30   #33
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

175610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
You might also try win 98 on modern hardware or under a virtual machine.
Win98 will not profit much by modern hardware : a lot of the functions of the CPU, the PCI slots will not be supported. Even some storage devices will not be recognised. You will not find drivers for the GPU, the network, audio, ...
Taking Windows 7 as example, it does not support AVX512, NVMe drives need special manipulations during install to be used as boot disk... This will impact virtual machines as well.
I suppose that part of the fun is keeping that old hardware and OS running :-)
S485122 is online now   Reply With Quote