Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Old 2007-04-21, 08:53   #1
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

80416 Posts
Thumbs down Reply post removed!

My reply to ewmayers post number 12 ? In the thread 'Experimental confirmation of General Relativity' by Davieddy was removed.

I had confirmed my submission and saw my two Quotes in my post as confirming my submission.

Yet later this post has been removed without notifying me. Surely the moderator should have the common courtesy to have informed me and the reason why it was objectionable or whatever.

Since I didnt save it I will have to write out my reply again so a surreptitious removal wont deter me from posting the reply once again.

Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 11:03   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,741 Posts

I sorry to hear of your misfortune, but heartened to hear that you won't be giving up so easily.

Also, you have so many posts on this board that I am amazed you can keep track of them and know when they might be missing. All power to you.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 12:14   #3
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

647410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I sorry to hear of your misfortune, but heartened to hear that you won't be giving up so easily.

Also, you have so many posts on this board that I am amazed you can keep track of them and know when they might be missing. All power to you.
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 12:29   #4
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·3·5·257 Posts

Every transaction is logged. No post written by you has been deleted recently.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 14:12   #5
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

426710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Maybe the gerbils erased the log of mally's post.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 16:49   #6
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Exclamation Misfortune!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post

Thank you Retina for your concern and sympathy.

Regards my posts I spend a lot of time on them so much so that every post I make I am required to log in again and again. Well thats the rule.

In retrospect maybe I have not submitted the post after a preview since XYZZY says no post of mind had been removed.

Well it doesnt matter really.

About keeping track Thanks to Mike and his painstaking dedication to the forum he keeps me alerted on every reply by e-mail.

'Practice makt perfect'.

Mally
Old 2007-04-21, 16:53   #7
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Post Logged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post

Well that implies that some have been in the past. And if that happened then it could have been now. No matter !

Mally
Old 2007-04-21, 20:33   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

5·2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode View Post

Well that implies that some have been in the past. And if that happened then it could have been now. No matter !

Mally
Nope. It says nothing at all about the past other than the recent past.

Perhaps he only has records which go back only a relatively short time. Those records may allow a definitive statement to be made only about the period which they cover.

You can not conclude, in my opinion, that something happened if there is absolutely no evidence that it happened.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 04:12   #9
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Cool Witness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Nope. It says nothing at all about the past other than the recent past.

You can not conclude, in my opinion, that something happened if there is absolutely no evidence that it happened.

Paul

So truth depends on evidence !

Say Paul, you will make a good defence lawyer! I hope they dont call you for the jury!

Mally l
Old 2007-04-23, 19:26   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·13·443 Posts

It appears to be quite common (and has happened to me on several occasions) that a post I was composing magically "disappears". Usually this is because while composing in a forumj edit window I inadvertently strike a wrong key. I've learned from that to compose any posts longer than a couple paragraphs off-line (i.e. in an editor with halfway decent auto-save and undo capabilities) and paste them into the post window when ready.

The other thing that can happen, especially if one is composing a long post, is that when one goes to post it, one gets a message about having been auto-logged out of the forum. Since in the thread in question Mally specifically mentioned a "full-blooded" (which someone would interpret as a euphemism for "long-winded", were they in the mood to be unkind) reply, perhaps that is what heppened.

Anyway, I sure didn't delete it - I wasn't on the internet at all from Friday evening (US time) until Monday morning.

Mally, as to your original post (the only I replied to in debunk mode) being "misinterpreted", it seemed to me that you were quoting a passage from the Q'uran about the speed of light quite approvingly, in the sense that you then claimed it gave the modern accepted value of c to (what would be) amazing accuracy:

Quote:
1400 years ago, and without any scientific equipment at all, the speed of light was already known to be 299792.5 Km/s
Don't be upset at me if I took you up on your accompanying "This is mathematically verifiable in less than 10 minutes" boast (again, whether those are your words or copied from elsewhere is irrelevant, since you did not indicate them as someone else's), and as a result you got busted for parroting false information in the guise of "truth." Next time, be careful whom you plagiarize.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 13:17   #11
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

205210 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
It appears to be quite common (and has happened to me on several occasions) that a post I was composing magically "disappears". Usually this is because while composing in a forumj edit window I inadvertently strike a wrong key. I've learned from that to compose any posts longer than a couple paragraphs off-line (i.e. in an editor with halfway decent auto-save and undo capabilities) and paste them into the post window when ready.

Anyway, I sure didn't delete it - I wasn't on the internet at all from Friday evening (US time) until Monday morning.

Mally, as to your original post (the only I replied to in debunk mode) being "misinterpreted", it seemed to me that you were quoting a passage from the Q'uran about the speed of light quite approvingly, in the sense that you then claimed it gave the modern accepted value of c to (what would be) amazing accuracy:

Don't be upset at me if I took you up on your accompanying "This is mathematically verifiable in less than 10 minutes" boast (again, whether those are your words or copied from elsewhere is irrelevant, since you did not indicate them as someone else's), and as a result you got busted for parroting false information in the guise of "truth." Next time, be careful whom you plagiarize.

I quite understand Ernst. It was not your fault in the least.
I was just relating what I read and quoted. The statements are not mine even the 10 min. boast which I should have put for a quote.

I experienced the magical disappearance of posts often and have learnt not to blame any one.

I must confess many times it is my fault too. I have a Microsoft office keyboard which has an 'application key' forward and backward. Well it is a hair trigger one and acts under the slightest pressure and it is placed just where my left little finger covers it. I should deactivate it but never got around to do so.

I am sorry for losing my shirt and insinuating you were the culprit. It was not called for.

I have adopted the practice before I preview my post to copy it and then paste it if it disappears.

Mally