mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5

Old 2007-07-10, 17:55   #1
Rincewind

Oct 2006

103 Posts
Default Are doublechecks useful?

Hi, I have acces to an older PC (one of my parents'), it's an older model and not used very often. If I'll use it for PRP the most results would be doublechecks. Is this usefull, or would 'my' doublechecks-results be checked a third time if you decide to start official doublechecks?

I don't have every day acces to this machine so Sieving would not be very effectiv

EDIT:
Or are you already running 'official' doublechecks? If yes, how can I do this?

Last fiddled with by masser on 2008-03-28 at 22:57
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-11, 06:58   #2
tnerual

Oct 2006

4038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Hi, I have acces to an older PC (one of my parents'), it's an older model and not used very often. If I'll use it for PRP the most results would be doublechecks. Is this usefull, or would 'my' doublechecks-results be checked a third time if you decide to start official doublechecks?

I don't have every day acces to this machine so Sieving would not be very effectiv

EDIT:
Or are you already running 'official' doublechecks? If yes, how can I do this?
i don't think that double check is very efficient at the moment ...
for sieving, what i would do is take a range far ahead of actual range (say 15000-15200 and let it run and each time you come to this computer, you can increase the range and post the results.)
tnerual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-11, 08:10   #3
Rincewind

Oct 2006

103 Posts

Hm, OK, is there a way to run sr5sieve on a Windows XP system without opening a Window?
Old 2007-07-11, 08:37   #4
tnerual

Oct 2006

25910 Posts

Quote:
Hm, OK, is there a way to run sr5sieve on a Windows XP system without opening a Window?
yes there is a way, but you have to look in old posts ...i don't remember how to do ...

maybe this app can help you:
http://thethin.net/consoletool.zip

Last fiddled with by tnerual on 2007-07-11 at 08:44
Old 2007-07-11, 11:54   #5
Cruelty

May 2005

161810 Posts

You mean running sr(x)sieve as a service? I thought that was not possible?
Cruelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-11, 13:55   #6
Rincewind

Oct 2006

103 Posts

Yes, that is what I mean, because my parents don't like opened Windows after starting the Computer

Last fiddled with by Rincewind on 2007-07-11 at 13:55
Old 2007-07-11, 18:21   #7
tnerual

Oct 2006

7·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruelty View Post
You mean running sr(x)sieve as a service? I thought that was not possible?

http://www.basta.com/ProdAppToService.htm

or

http://www.exetoservice.com/?ref=adw...FRAFEgodhRjM6A

can run "common .exe or .bat applications" as services

googling "running a dos app as a service" give a lot of results !
Old 2007-07-12, 02:17   #8
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

5·7·41 Posts

The "All Things Doublecheck" thread at

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=6289

has some information on previous doublecheck efforts. We have found many primes through doublechecking, but with the automation of testing with the LLRNET server, I suspect the chances of missing a prime are significantly reduced.

However, having a double check queue available might be useful for slower machines. But it would be a lot more work for our statskeeper, ltd.... You could reserve a range to double check - say all n between 65000 and 70000 for the Riesel candidates. That would be plenty of work to keep a slower machine busy for several months. To get credit for the work on the stats pages, you would have to send the residues to our yahoo acct. If you follow this route, be sure to label your email as a double check effort.
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 03:04   #9
Kosmaj

Nov 2003

E2616 Posts

Quote:
Yes, that is what I mean, because my parents don't like opened Windows after starting the Computer
You can try to set it up to start automatically on power-on. Check Control Panel -> Tasks. I think it will be easier than to set up a service. Because the command line may be a long one, you can prepare it in a .bat file, say "srsieve.bat" and specify the .bat as the file to execute. Also, specify a very large -P parameter so that it runs all the time. Many other setting are possible, for example to run only during the night, only over weekends, etc.

BTW, even on an old machine you can find new, large primes provided that it can run a relatively long time.
Kosmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 06:08   #10
Rincewind

Oct 2006

6716 Posts

OK, this all sounds good, I think I'll try some of the Sieve-ideas. Thx