mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2005-12-28, 09:14   #1
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22×97 Posts
Default LATex Documents

Does anyone here know how to produce their own LaTex documents?

I keep getting the error message that my control sequence is undefined, but the sequence in question is: \documentclass(article)
How is that undefined, I thought that was the standard way to do it.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 09:40   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3×5×227 Posts

You've got

Code:
 \documentclass(article)
and I think it should be

Code:
 \documentclass{article}
i.e. use braces instead of parentheses

HTH
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 10:18   #3
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22·97 Posts

Sorry, it's not that, I actually tried braces first.

with:
Quote:
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
My text starts here...
with braces in both cases, I get:
Quote:
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 <MiKTeX 2.4>
<cow.txt
! Undefined control sequence.
1.1 \documentclass
.....................<article>
?
If I type Help, I get a message explaining what "undefined control sequence" means, and a reassurance that if I'm sure it is correct I can proceed. When I do that, I get the words article and document inserted before my text begins. So the first line looks like this:
Quote:
article document My text starts here...
Weird, or what?
Old 2005-12-28, 10:21   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

280E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers
Weird, or what?
This may be a silly question, but here goes: are you running LaTeX on your input file? I've managed to type "tex foo.tex" before now when I meant "latex foo.tex" and got bizarre error messages similar to yours.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 10:42   #5
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

18416 Posts

As could be expected from you Paul, that was not a silly question at all.
To be honest I only downloaded the software yesterday and am still very much feeling my way around. From the manual I got the command: texify foo.txt, with the results I described. Changing that to: Latex foo.txt as you suggest did the trick.
Thank you very much indeed.
Old 2005-12-28, 23:47   #6
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3×277 Posts

AFAIK, there seems to be a difference between tex and latex. One of them (I don't remember which) also doesn't work for me...
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 00:21   #7
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×13×443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystwalker
AFAIK, there seems to be a difference between tex and latex. One of them (I don't remember which) also doesn't work for me...
Although the analogy is not perfect, I like to think of Tex/LaTex along similar lines as C/C++ - the former is a subset of the latter, with the latter containing many things that (supposedly) make the former easier to use. In the case of Tex/LaTex, macro-style things like document classes are typically LaTex, although I strongly urge any user to get the LaTex manual for more details on this and many other issues.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 00:30   #8
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3·277 Posts

You're right!
LaTeX does work, but not tex.

btw.:
I can really recommend WinEdt for LaTeX when using Windows. I've heard that TeXnicCenter is good as well...
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 09:33   #9
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22·97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystwalker
I can really recommend WinEdt for LaTeX when using Windows. I've heard that TeXnicCenter is good as well...
I use TexAid (free download). It's an upgraded version of the Equation Editor in Word, and allows you to pick symbols from a pallette to create your expressions. Then you just paste that into your LaTex document and it formats it all for you. Very useful, but obviously not an aid to learning LaTex.

ewmayer's point about the manual is good. With the free download I got a user's guide that seems to have just five answers. So it doesn't matter what question you ask you always get one of these five answers!

And when you use the programme (LaTex), if you make a mistake you get these really friendly error messages that say things like, "Why don't you try reading the manual?"

What manual, I ask.