Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2017-12-13, 07:19   #45
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

572510 Posts

I notice that 200ka ago was in the 2nd Quaternary glacial cycle. I hope ya'all can survive in the barren icy coldness without clothing or shelter and only one meal. And of course December is winter for the Northern bits of the planet making it all nice and cosy with the long freezing nights. Maybe those in the Tropics and the Southern parts would fare better?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 04:18   #46
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22×3×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
Maybe MooMoo is the wizard, taunting us before the storm ;)
Yup, I'm the wizard Good guess!

I've run a similar experiment twice before, and this group of humans has made it the furthest. The first time, humanity died out shortly after the Toba supervolcano eruption. Humanity made it to the moon landing the second time, but nuked themselves back to the Stone Age before finding a million digit prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy235 View Post
It is the first part the difficult one, To get to 1885 or so. Once you arrive into the late 19th century technology you could conceivably be there in 25-75 years.
The post-1885 stuff may take longer this time. Even if humanity doesn't nuke themselves again before reaching 1990s tech, I wonder how much meaningful information will be passed on. Many experiments would have to be re-run. For example, does any human right now know the Poisson's ratio of Ytterbium without looking it up? The few people in the world who work with that element can find that information without going online, but I doubt that anyone has it memorized. Even if they did, they would probably write down more important information, such as where to find Ytterbium deposits in the first place and what Ytterbium can be used for.

The pre-1600 stuff, on the other hand, is virtually guaranteed. Civilizations all around the world (Europe, the Middle East, South Asia, East Asia, North America, etc.) all got to that point despite very limited contact with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy235 View Post
But there is a big problem. Turing, Newton, Einstein, Cauchy, Galois, Leonardo, Dirichlet, Jean de la VallΓ©e-Poussin, Gauss, Euclid, Fermat, Cantor, Leibniz Ramanujan, Euler etc. will all be dead and one thing is to know the underlying mathematical theory more or less well and a totally different one is to create a thinker.
That's right. Without those thinkers, how long would it take for someone to re-discover something such as general relativity? Can this be done within a century or so if all humanity has are vague hints and memories? Only one way to find out!

(writes 7.4 billion notes. Will raise magic wand and make all man-made objects disappear after notes are written)

Last fiddled with by MooMoo2 on 2017-12-14 at 04:19
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 04:30   #47
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×11×397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
(writes 7.4 billion notes. Will raise magic wand and make all man-made objects disappear after notes are written)
Freaking boring activity... Can't you raise the wand before writing the notes, so that writing them is part of the magic?

(from which you can see that the wizard, same as the god, is neither almighty, nor very clever either**... for example the god had no idea, when he came into the garden of Eden, neither that the Adam had bitten the apple, nor where the hack he was hiding himself behind the bushes because he was ashamed, etc... or maybe he was losing his powers in the garden, who knows... - we don't want to turn this into a religious fight, and the whole topic discussed here is quite interesting, and we learned a couple of things from it (reading it, and googling stuff related to it)... - for now we still keep our "10 years" for finding the prime, or flying to the moon and back - at the end, what do you need? just a big pipe filled of some sugar and some whiskey, all easy producible from the plenty of the fruits growing around, 200k years ago, hehe).

----------
Edit ** no intention to refer to MooMoo, who we respect, and we generally like his topics. It is just our philosophy that god, and generally any god-like being, if it exists, then it is either stupid or mean, or both. This belief is reinforced daily when we look around us, and when we look in the mirror in the morning. Man is such a bad design...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2017-12-14 at 04:39
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 14:41   #48
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5·691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Sieving by p < 26250 is sufficient. And it is very easy -- you can use SoE.
Hmm, that doesn't seem too bad. It might be good to go over how to do the sieving with no more than rudimentary writing equipment -- maybe something like charcoal or chalk on wood or stone; or perhaps a stick in sand or dust.

I suppose the first thing to do would be to compute Mod(2, p)^74207281 for each p. Then, odd multiples of p greater than 2^74207281 could be sieved out without having to write out any huge numbers.

A summary of Our Wizard's campaign may be found here.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 16:20   #49
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×32×569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
Yup, I'm the wizard Good guess!

I've run a similar experiment twice before, and this group of humans has made it the furthest. The first time, humanity died out shortly after the Toba supervolcano eruption. Humanity made it to the moon landing the second time, but nuked themselves back to the Stone Age before finding a million digit prime.
In that case, where are all the fossilized human corpses?

A few billion immediate deaths would have left quite a sizeable geological signature. The majority of corpses would have been eaten by scavengers but lots should have survived. After all, we're still pulling frozen mammoth out of the tundra and there were surely very many fewer of them then than there are humans now. There should be bones everywhere to be found in what were then bogs, shallow seas, caves, sandy deserts and the like.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 20:25   #50
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

10111001000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
In that case, where are all the fossilized human corpses?
Removed as a part of the reset, I assume.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 07:19   #51
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×32×569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Removed as a part of the reset, I assume.
Except they died after the reset.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 07:26   #52
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

52×229 Posts

And now imagine all the rapists, murderers, paedophiles, arsonists, etc., that will suddenly become free to roam about.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 12:11   #53
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Except they died after the reset.
maybe each reset was done twice ...
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 15:32   #54
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
And now imagine all the rapists, murderers, paedophiles, arsonists, etc., that will suddenly become free to roam about.
Ah, but think of all the rulers and politicians who will have to settle for lesser crimes than mass slaughter and all their other current perks.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-17, 12:42   #55
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Freaking boring activity... Can't you raise the wand before writing the notes, so that writing them is part of the magic?

(from which you can see that the wizard, same as the god, is neither almighty, nor very clever either**... for example the god had no idea, when he came into the garden of Eden, neither that the Adam had bitten the apple, nor where the hack he was hiding himself behind the bushes because he was ashamed, etc... or maybe he was losing his powers in the garden, who knows...
Edit ** no intention to refer to MooMoo, who we respect, and we generally like his topics. It is just our philosophy that god, and generally any god-like being, if it exists, then it is either stupid or mean, or both. This belief is reinforced daily when we look around us, and when we look in the mirror in the morning. Man is such a bad design...
Sorry for the off-topic, but just because someone asks a question, it doesn't mean they don't already know the answer. Haven't you ever heard of teaching by asking the student questions?

Also, you don't know God's intentions when man was made. Efficiency might not have been his goal. What was your goal the last time you made something with your own two hands?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote