mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-06, 18:30   #1
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66618 Posts
Default Who else isn't British, but thinks the BBC is awesome?

In my case, I've only seen the British scifi stuff, Dr Who, Red Dwarf(old series, not sure how old) and I'm pretty sure Primeval is BBC stuff. Also, the Dr Who offshoots, I forget what they're called. They have that more-immortal-than-the-Highlander-aliens gay guy as a major character. Great stuff.

The comedy doesn't do it for me, but I suspect if I sampled their dramas I'd be way more likely to like BBC stuff than American stuff.

Anybody else think the BBC is better than their own local stuff?

Edit: Is there a way to get the IPlayer on my PS3 without being British? I'm willing to pay the tax if that helps. Not sure what my rights are locally, what I read on the Internet and what a friend told me appear to be contradictory.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2013-04-06 at 18:32
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 00:58   #2
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97×103 Posts
Default

I really like BBC news much of the time. It comes across on the local NPR a few times a day.

EDIT: ...and I am definitely not Brit.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2013-04-07 at 00:59
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 08:31   #3
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7×167 Posts
Default

I am British but I don't see why that should disqualify me from having an opinion on the BBC.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 09:16   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

2×11×397 Posts
Default

BBC's documentaries ARE awesome. If one say differently, that guy, British or not, is a moron. I dld'ed from torrents many of good old BBC stuff, and bought a lot of their new stuff. My family and I enjoy watching BBC stuff when we get together.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 18:17   #5
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7×167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
that guy, British or not, is a moron.
Which guy?
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 18:29   #6
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

10111001000012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
Which guy?
The sentence was nonconstructive, so we can't say. But since there are only finitely many candidates we don't need AC, so technically there should be a way to name one. Of course this is all on the assumption that a person who thinks BBC documentaries are unawesome exists, which has yet to be established.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 18:32   #7
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7×167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I'm pretty sure Primeval is BBC stuff.
No it isn't.

Quote:
Also, the Dr Who offshoots, I forget what they're called. They have that more-immortal-than-the-Highlander-aliens gay guy as a major character. Great stuff.
Torchwood.

Quote:
Edit: Is there a way to get the IPlayer on my PS3 without being British? I'm willing to pay the tax if that helps. Not sure what my rights are locally, what I read on the Internet and what a friend told me appear to be contradictory.
By "the tax" I presume you mean the licence fee. I doubt that paying it would even be possible if you're resident outside the UK. Nor would it help you to do so since "by law, the BBC is not allowed to use this money to fund channels outside the UK".

If you're in the US, BBC America is probably your best bet.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 19:03   #8
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7×167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
The sentence was nonconstructive, so we can't say. But since there are only finitely many candidates we don't need AC, so technically there should be a way to name one. Of course this is all on the assumption that a person who thinks BBC documentaries are unawesome exists, which has yet to be established.
I misunderstood Laurv's comment. What he actually said is anyone who says anything other than "BBC Documentaries are awesome" is a moron. Since this is of form All X are Y I don't think it ever requires AC, whether the domain of discourse is finite, countably infinite, or uncountable.

It's a harsh judgement, and a self-referential one. Most people, including all of us here, have made statements that were not "BBC Documentaries are awesome". The minority of people in the world who have never made such utterances have probably never said anything at all.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:01   #9
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
By "the tax" I presume you mean the licence fee. I doubt that paying it would even be possible if you're resident outside the UK. Nor would it help you to do so since "by law, the BBC is not allowed to use this money to fund channels outside the UK".

If you're in the US, BBC America is probably your best bet.
I guess the particulars of the law would really determine things, but I don't see why a government would want to prevent non-citizens from voluntarily paying a tax in order to get certain privileges. Except for enforcement complexities, I view it as being the same as a luxury tax on cigarettes or alcohol.

I, personally, think voluntary luxury taxes should be the vast majority of most country's taxes, but that's more of a Soap Box topic.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 10:27   #10
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I guess the particulars of the law would really determine things, but I don't see why a government would want to prevent non-citizens from voluntarily paying a tax in order to get certain privileges. Except for enforcement complexities, I view it as being the same as a luxury tax on cigarettes or alcohol.
Governments do lots of things that I don't see why they should want to, but in this case, I can. The television licence doesn't enable you to do anything you couldn't otherwise do. It makes it lawful to do what would otherwise be unlawful. For people outside the UK's legal juristiction, the tv licence would have no effect. Setting up a system so that foreign residents could pay it anyway would result in administrative costs which wouldn't be covered by the tiny number of people who would pay it.

You seem to be under the impression that BBC iplayer is a subscription service, to which UK residents are granted access when they pay the licence fee. It isn't. I don't have a licence and I watch iplayer (in catchup mode) all the time and lawfully too. What would be unlawful would be watch tv programs at the time of broadcast. But there's no technological measure preventing me from doing this.

Quote:
I, personally, think voluntary luxury taxes should be the vast majority of most country's taxes, but that's more of a Soap Box topic.
I doubt a licence fee comparable to ours would withstand first amendment scrutiny in the US.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 14:54   #11
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
I doubt a licence fee comparable to ours would withstand first amendment scrutiny in the US.
I soooo want to go off-topic to talk about this.

But, if I'm not mistaken, I think I've already explained myself about this in the Soap Box, a few months ago or more. It's one of the topics that tends to get me agitated, though significantly less than it did years ago.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for British written American history on Kindle jasong Homework Help 3 2015-01-30 21:36
Fermat Factoring is awesome MattcAnderson Operazione Doppi Mersennes 6 2013-10-24 13:07
Another Awesome Alliteration... WraithX Lounge 7 2010-03-07 18:18
British Summer time is here at last davieddy Lounge 17 2008-04-09 17:09
How do I get British news channels over the web? jasong jasong 9 2007-09-26 11:21

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:50.

Sun Sep 20 14:50:48 UTC 2020 up 10 days, 12:01, 1 user, load averages: 2.08, 1.77, 1.57

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.