mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2012-10-18, 22:42   #1
ClownRoyal

May 2012
Idaho

22·3 Posts
Default Reference Labels for Manual Assignments

It would be quite helpful to have some sort of user-definable reference label when generating manual assignments.

What I mean is; I have multiple machines that run manual work for mfaktX. I wish there was a way to specify which machine the work is being created for.

When I look in my Assignment Details in Primenet, they all simply say "Manual Testing" under CPU NAME column - they are not broken out by machine, as is work that is automatically assigned by Prime95/Primenet. Would it be possible to allow the user to modify the CPU NAME string upon generation of the assignments?

This would make it easier for us to compare remaining work by machine, at a glance, without having to reference jobs simply by "CORE" number - which is ambiguous and tedious to separate out.

Or maybe there is a better way to get work than using the Primenet Get Manual Assignments tool... Any tips from some of the more experienced mfaktX'ers out there?

My video cards are hungry. Only you can help me feed them!

-cr

"Search on!"
ClownRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 22:56   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

If you just want to compare stats between computers, it's probably not going to happen. If you'd like to better organize your mfakt* operations, including realizing when one card is running low, try using mfaktXapp.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 23:39   #3
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts
Default I am currently working on AUTO_FETCH_WORK

I'll be building FETCH_WORK_GIMPS and FETCH_WORK_GPU72 so you will be able to get work from whichever system you favor.

I already have a prototype working with GIMPS. I'm still working out some site interface options to GPU72 with Chalsall.

Expected closed beta release in about two weeks.... public release after that.
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 01:54   #4
ClownRoyal

May 2012
Idaho

11002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post

Expected closed beta release in about two weeks.... public release after that.
swl, How did I know you would say that? :-)

I would like to offer my services as a beta tester if you are looking for a few guinea pigs.

-cr

"Search on!"
Old 2012-10-19, 01:59   #5
ClownRoyal

May 2012
Idaho

148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
If you just want to compare stats between computers, it's probably not going to happen.
So no chance of just being able to modify that CPU NAME string to something other than "Manual Testing" ?

Why not? I am guessing it's probably something more than just a simple string var assignment in the database?
Old 2012-10-19, 20:07   #6
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownRoyal View Post
So no chance of just being able to modify that CPU NAME string to something other than "Manual Testing" ?

Why not? I am guessing it's probably something more than just a simple string var assignment in the database?
Probably isn't more than that, but PrimeNet is very fragile, and no one likes to tinker with it.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote