mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2011-01-04, 21:14   #1
Damian

May 2005
Argentina

18610 Posts
Unhappy Wich kind of Gimps task's better fit this?

I am installing gimps on a computer in my home but I know it is going to be deleted by others users of the same computer (there is no way to reason with them) They are not coming home for some days, so I am installing it today.

I think in less than two weeks they will come and delete it, so an LL test will not end by that date I think? Even if it is a double checking.
Is factoring the best I can do in order for all the pc-work not to be lost by the time they come to delete prime95?

(I want to know the kind of work with more "throughput", that is, that finishes each calculation for sending to the server in the least amount of time.)

Thanks.
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 21:26   #2
tichy

Nov 2010

22×19 Posts

try Trial Factoring to low limits. You will be assigned exponents in a range circa above 148000000 and testing factors in a range 2^64-2^65. Such job will most likely finish within half an hour or so.
tichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 22:01   #3
Damian

May 2005
Argentina

BA16 Posts

sorry if this is too basic but, where do I set prime95 that I prefer to get factorization work? I set the option to use primenet and I got assigned LL tests, I don't find the way to cancel this and start factoring as you suggested.

Thanks
Old 2011-01-04, 22:23   #4
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
sorry if this is too basic but, where do I set prime95 that I prefer to get factorization work? I set the option to use primenet and I got assigned LL tests, I don't find the way to cancel this and start factoring as you suggested.

Thanks
Test/Worker Windows
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 22:34   #5
Damian

May 2005
Argentina

2·3·31 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thank you both!
I unreserved the high exponents that wouldnt had finished the LL test, and now have 4 working threads trial factoring to low limits.
I hope to find some factor!
Greetings,
Damián.
Old 2011-01-04, 23:01   #6
cmd

"(^r'°:.:)^n;e'e"
Nov 2008
;t:.:;^

33·37 Posts

factor of power ( contadino in Basilicata : |ta|y )

peasant in Basilicata ( farmer of regional it )

bring good luck

Last fiddled with by cmd on 2011-01-04 at 23:02 Reason: big shoes = brain end
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 04:28   #7
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

8FE16 Posts

If you don't want people "tampering" with Prime95, try the following steps:

1. Disable the tray icon.
2. Set the Prime95 folder to hidden and put it in an obscure location.
3. Rename the Prime95 program to something else, such as "SystemStressTest.exe."
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 04:47   #8
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
If you don't want people "tampering" with Prime95, try the following steps:

1. Disable the tray icon.
2. Set the Prime95 folder to hidden and put it in an obscure location.
3. Rename the Prime95 program to something else, such as "SystemStressTest.exe."
How about "winsvc32.exe" (or something similar)? I would imagine "SystemStressTest.exe" would stand out a little too much if anyone took a look at Task Manager's "Processes" tab.

That said, if the owner has specifically asked to you not put Prime95 on their computer, it might be a good idea to play it safe and let that one go. While I'm not privy to your (that is, Damian, not ixfd64 ) specific situation, I would imagine that you might get into some deep doo-doo if the owner later finds Prime95 (whether disguised or not). If the person knows enough about computers to have any clue what the "CPU" column in Task Manager means, upon seeing any unrecognized process at 100% they might take it to a computer shop, which would either a) assume it's some kind of virus, or b) do a bit of digging and find out that it's Prime95, in which case the owner will immediately draw a connection to you and be VERY mad. Worst-case scenario, they could bring in law enforcement (and would probably have a pretty good case in court, since it is their computer, assuming they told you "no" earlier)--that would probably depend on how well you know the owner.

Alternatively, you could rig the Prime95 installation to self-destruct before they arrive home. That is, set up a scheduled task that runs a batch file (which could be stored in C:\Windows\Temp or the like) that would stop Prime95 (command "taskkill /im prime95.exe /f") and delete the Prime95 directory. Still, I would advise caution--if the owner has told you "no" before, then legally, you will be best off not putting it on their computer at all.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 04:57   #9
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2×1,151 Posts

Note that the OP said that it was a home computer. Now, it's highly unlikely that someone will have the cops called on them by their own family, although it does happen.

Also, someone removing Prime95 does not necessarily equate to them saying, "Don't install Prime95 on my computer." Back in 2005, my father removed Prime95 from his laptop because it was slowing it down. However, he never explicitly told me not to install it, so I put it back and set it to do trial factoring instead. Sure enough, it stopped slowing down the computer, although he later found out and told me to remove the program.

Note to self: try to convince my supervisors to let me do some "stress testing" on our office computers.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 05:09   #10
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Note that the OP said that it was a home computer. Now, it's highly unlikely that someone will have the cops called on them by their own family, although it does happen.

Also, someone removing Prime95 does not necessarily equate to them saying, "Don't install Prime95 on my computer." Back in 2005, my father removed Prime95 from his laptop because it was slowing it down. However, he never explicitly told me not to install it, so I put it back and set it to do trial factoring instead. Sure enough, it stopped slowing down the computer, although he later found out and told me to remove the program.

Note to self: try to convince my supervisors to let me do some "stress testing" on our office computers.
Ah, right, I missed the part about it being a home computer. That would change things somewhat. And regarding the removal of Prime95 by said family member, hence my note in my last post that the ensuing advice applied if the owner specifically and overtly said "no". (The OP's mention of "there is no way to reason with them" seemed to imply this, IMO.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 13:58   #11
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

As for short tasks, ECM curves will also fit within small time horizons (2 hours) if you tell Prime95 that the ECM tasks can't have much memory, say, 100Meg or so. However, I'm averaging 25 GHz days and 250 ECM curves to find a factor that way. This is set in Options/CPU.

On the home computer I share with my wife, Prime95 runs until she gets on and kills it by logging me completely out, usually because it *does* slow down editing pictures and looking at videos. Then it gets to be bedtime, or time to go to work, and I sit down for a few minutes and restart it, and it runs overnight, all day long, or during vacation week, and it picks up wherever it left off. Part of the trick is that it *is* a multiuser computer, (runs Windoesn't XP, multiuser), and we have our separate desktops and the general rule that we don't mess with each other's stuff, except for the standing Windoze rule that if it's not working well, try rebooting (and that kills off Prime95).
<grin> Now don't go stealing my rank under ECM factoring by getting 90GHz days out of your PC next week!!!! (see Christenson) </grin>

It sounds like the OP has a serious problem with boundaries in general. If they are actually deleting your stuff (rather than just stopping it from running), the OP needs to consider what other damage is being done outside the computer (like stealing $$) and whether the current housing arrangement is worth the price.

Unfortuneately, if the value of running Prime95 isn't obvious to the rest of your users, it's a lost cause -- the best you can do is that it isn't in their way(because you make it so, perhaps by running only at night, see Options/CPU) and you think it is important, therefore it should be left alone. I've been in the position of the other users sharing your machine before..trying to do something with a computer that wasn't doing it because it was running something like Prime95 (MPQS, forerunner of NFS@home)...and you will make friends by keeping it out of the way.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote