Apr 2003
Between here and the

17×347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxp View Post
I would like a ready-to-run OS X build.
Try this.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z xyyxsieve.7z (57.9 KB, 6 views)
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-30, 01:07   #365
pxp

Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

163 Posts

I renamed my 1324 (x,y) list xyyx.in and put it in the same folder as xyyxsieve:

Code:
./xyyxsieve -i xyyx.in -P1e9
xyyxsieve v1.5, a program to find factors numbers of the form x^y+y^x
Fatal Error:  Can only continue from input file
If I change the file to xyyx.txt:

Code:
Fatal Error:  Unable to open input file
My terminal is running GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin18).
pxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-30, 02:30   #366
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

17·347 Posts

Quote:
I renamed my 1324 (x,y) list xyyx.in and put it in the same folder as xyyxsieve:

Code:
./xyyxsieve -i xyyx.in -P1e9
If I change the file to xyyx.txt:

Code:
Fatal Error:  Unable to open input file
My terminal is running GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin18).
You need to convert your input file to the ABC example shown earlier. That should be fairly easy to do with any text editor. You will want to start with -p2 to double-check all small primes.
Old 2020-06-30, 09:04   #367
pxp

Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

16310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
You need to convert your input file to the ABC example shown earlier. That should be fairly easy to do with any text editor. You will want to start with -p2 to double-check all small primes.
I'm flying totally blind here. I have obviously never used xyyxsieve before and have limited experience using Terminal. The program you shared has no documentation. The only reference that I see to an ABC example is in the output file you shared three days ago:

Code:
ABC $a^$b$c*$b^$a // Sieved to 1000193
1000 319 +1
1000 341 +1
Unfortunately that tells me nothing about how to convert my input file. Should I just be using x^y+y^x instead of (x,y) for every line? I had asked about making changes to my file to make the input better and your response was simply "I can work with that file," which suggested to me that no changes were necessary.

Last fiddled with by pxp on 2020-06-30 at 09:11 Reason: added a thought
Old 2020-06-30, 09:57   #368
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

284510 Posts

So your file is like
Code:
(85085,34812)
(92856,14509)
Do this with a text editor:
- remove the "("
- remove the ")"
- replace the "," with " +1 " (notice the spaces)

Now the file should look like this
Code:
85085 +1 34812
92856 +1 14509
Now insert as first line
Code:
ABC $a^$c$b*$c^$a // Sieved to 1000193
Perhaps change the sieve depth.
This file now works with pfgw, try this with the sieve then.

PS:
Seems xyyxsieve don't like the file format, do the same with this
- remove the "("
- replace "," with " " (space)
- replace the ")" with " +1" (notice spaces)

and the first line as
Code:
ABC $a^$b$c*$b^$a // Sieved to 1000193

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2020-06-30 at 10:23 Reason: PS
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-30, 12:31   #369
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

17·347 Posts

Quote:
I'm flying totally blind here. I have obviously never used xyyxsieve before and have limited experience using Terminal. The program you shared has no documentation.

Unfortunately that tells me nothing about how to convert my input file. Should I just be using x^y+y^x instead of (x,y) for every line? I had asked about making changes to my file to make the input better and your response was simply "I can work with that file," which suggested to me that no changes were necessary.
The typical usage of my sieves is that the user has used that sieve to start a new sieve from scratch and in doing so are familiar with the command line options (via -h) and the output format (ABC, ABCD, etc, for use with pfgw or llr).

In your case you are not starting "from scratch" so usage isn't quite so clear. The error "Can only continue from input file" is odd. -i provides the name of the file. if that file doesn't exist then you get the other error. If this happens again, I suggest you remove the space after the -i and use "-ixyyx.in" (for example).

I think you have enough detail to get started, but if not, please reach out to me.
Old 2020-06-30, 19:44   #370
pxp

Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

163 Posts

I'm not making any progress. The error appears even after requesting help:

Code:
./xyyxsieve -h
-h --help             prints this help
-p --pmin=P0          sieve start: P0 < p (default 3)
-P --pmax=P1          sieve end: p < P1 (default 2^62)
-w --worksize=w       primes per chunk of work (default 10000)
-W --workers=W        start W workers (default 1)
-A --applyandexit     apply factors and exit (used with -I)
-i --inputterms=i     input file of remaining candidates
-I --inputfactors=I   input file with factors (used with -A)
-o --outputterms=o    output file of remaining candidates
-O --outputfactors=O  output file with new factors
-x --minx=x           minimum x to search
-X --maxx=X           maximum x to search
-y --miny=y           minimum y to search
-Y --maxy=Y           maximum y to search
-D --disableavx       disableavx
Old 2020-06-30, 20:03   #371
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

17×347 Posts

Quote:
I'm not making any progress. The error appears even after requesting help:

Code:
./xyyxsieve -h
-h --help             prints this help
-p --pmin=P0          sieve start: P0 < p (default 3)
-P --pmax=P1          sieve end: p < P1 (default 2^62)
-w --worksize=w       primes per chunk of work (default 10000)
-W --workers=W        start W workers (default 1)
-A --applyandexit     apply factors and exit (used with -I)
-i --inputterms=i     input file of remaining candidates
-I --inputfactors=I   input file with factors (used with -A)
-o --outputterms=o    output file of remaining candidates
-O --outputfactors=O  output file with new factors
-x --minx=x           minimum x to search
-X --maxx=X           maximum x to search
-y --miny=y           minimum y to search
-Y --maxy=Y           maximum y to search
-D --disableavx       disableavx
Right. You have to specify your input file with -i. That is required. Some of the others are not needed because of this special build. -P is only needed to stop sieving as some pre-determined depth. If you don't specify, it it will sieve until 2^62, which you won't need to do. While running it will give you the removal rate once per minute so you can get an idea if the removal rate is close to the PRP test time.
Old 2020-06-30, 23:24   #372
pxp

Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
... remove the space after the -i ...
I think I've got a handle on the ABC format now. But the space (or lack thereof) between the -i and the file name makes no difference to fatality.
Old 2020-07-01, 12:38   #373
pxp

Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

163 Posts
Default Largest Leyland Prime Hunt

I have replaced the previously referenced first three pages of Leyland prime candidates > L(328574,15) with versions that are now ABC format as opposed to my original (x,y) format. They are also significantly larger files as I have undone my own attempt at sieving in Mathematica since xyyxsieve will do so better/faster.

http://chesswanks.com/num/LLPHbdl/386434.txt
http://chesswanks.com/num/LLPHbdl/386435.txt
http://chesswanks.com/num/LLPHbdl/386436.txt

the first three lines of the first page look like this:

Code:
ABC $a^$b$c*$b^$a
164287 225 +1
102503 5888 +1
The numbers in the URL are the number of decimal digits in the L(x,y) expansions of the candidates. I have files ready to be shared going all the way up to /390000.txt (3567 pages). A .zip version of the entire folder is ~252 MB.

Every page starts out as a list of Leyland numbers. There are ~18000 such for each decimal-digits length in this range. Apparently there is a 16k line limit in ABC-formatted files so I reduced this to ~11000 lines by applying GCD(x,y)=1 to the (x,y) pairs. These were then printed out as the above-mentioned files.

As previously shown, a small-primes sieve will reduce the 11000 candidates to ~1300 and a deeper run to ~300. As Mark mentioned, a pfgw run of these would take about two weeks or so.

Since I'm presently unable to participate because the OS X xyyxsieve created by Mark for this purpose is not cooperating, I thought I'd just put this out there as the germ of an idea for future consideration. If there is something wrong with my ABC formatting or there is something else that needs attention (like the file-name ending, .txt or .in, does it matter?), please let me know. It takes very little time to re-generate the pages from scratch.
Old 2020-07-01, 13:32   #374
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

17×347 Posts

Quote:
I have replaced the previously referenced first three pages of Leyland prime candidates > L(328574,15) with versions that are now ABC format as opposed to my original (x,y) format. They are also significantly larger files as I have undone my own attempt at sieving in Mathematica since xyyxsieve will do so better/faster.

http://chesswanks.com/num/LLPHbdl/386434.txt
http://chesswanks.com/num/LLPHbdl/386435.txt
http://chesswanks.com/num/LLPHbdl/386436.txt

the first three lines of the first page look like this:

Code:
ABC $a^$b$c*$b^$a
164287 225 +1
102503 5888 +1
The numbers in the URL are the number of decimal digits in the L(x,y) expansions of the candidates. I have files ready to be shared going all the way up to /390000.txt (3567 pages). A .zip version of the entire folder is ~252 MB.

Every page starts out as a list of Leyland numbers. There are ~18000 such for each decimal-digits length in this range. Apparently there is a 16k line limit in ABC-formatted files so I reduced this to ~11000 lines by applying GCD(x,y)=1 to the (x,y) pairs. These were then printed out as the above-mentioned files.

As previously shown, a small-primes sieve will reduce the 11000 candidates to ~1300 and a deeper run to ~300. As Mark mentioned, a pfgw run of these would take about two weeks or so.

Since I'm presently unable to participate because the OS X xyyxsieve created by Mark for this purpose is not cooperating, I thought I'd just put this out there as the germ of an idea for future consideration. If there is something wrong with my ABC formatting or there is something else that needs attention (like the file-name ending, .txt or .in, does it matter?), please let me know. It takes very little time to re-generate the pages from scratch.
The ABC line needs to have "// Sieved to xxx" on the first line when used as input. This is probably the issue you are seeing. Nevertheless I can see if anything else is wrong.