chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
I see no reason to think Awojobi is anything other than what appearances suggest: a crank.
You are of course aware that animals tend to see patterns via their sensors?
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 20:56   #35
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

2×32×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awojobi View Post
I don't see how you can formulate an entirely different problem and begin to draw an analogy to my twin prime proof.
Just to be sure we are on the same page:
1. you feel that it is obvious that if the set is finite, there must be a last element of the Eratosthenes Sieve.
2. I have shown a different problem where everyone agrees the set is finite and everyone agrees there is no last element of the Eratosthenes Sieve.
3. You do not see any reason why the existence of the second example might cast doubt on the obviousness of the first claim.

If so, I conclude that you are too hard headed to enter into a serious back and forth discussion.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 16:12   #36
Awojobi

Feb 2019

7·13 Posts

There we go again i.e. the formulation of new problems and trying to make an analogy with my proof. First of, the word 'factor' is being used instead of 'multiple' and yet some of you show solidarity with this poster. If anybody is being strong headed, it's not me but some of you. Some of you talk of 'rigorous' proof. This is what is blocking you all from accepting the simplicity of my proof because you just can't believe that the proof is that simple especially because Field medalists like Terence Tao and his collaborators are trying in vain with his polymath project to crack this problem.
Awojobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 16:17   #37
axn

Jun 2003

111258 Posts

The crank score is over 9000!
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 17:02   #38
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2·2,383 Posts

- * - DISCONNECTED - * -
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 18:15   #39
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

5×863 Posts

Perhaps OP should spend some time googling proofs of the twin prime conjecture, to see that his "proof" has been presented dozens of times over decades (generations?).
Perhaps when he learns his idea is not new and not original he'll grow less attached to it.
Then again, perhaps he cannot understand the words other people use, and will continue to think his idea is original despite the dozens of others who had the same incorrect idea.
VBCurtis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 22:56   #40
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

2×32×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awojobi View Post
There we go again i.e. the formulation of new problems and trying to make an analogy with my proof.
I can't tell you if agree with my three points or if you have failed to read them.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-10, 16:36   #41
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·3·577 Posts

I offer a couple of definitions from my old Merriam-Webster Second Unabridged.

crotchet, n.
[...]
3) a a perverse fancy; a whimsey b a fanciful contrivance

crank, n.
[...]
9) A person with a crotchet or a mental twist; one given to fantastic or impracticable projects or a hobby; one overenthusiastic or of perverted judgement in respect to a particular matter; a monomaniac. colloq

I also mention a word which has a couple of meanings: plonk. It has a venerable meaning of cheap or low-grade booze. John Mortimer's character Horace Rumpole ("Rumpole of the Bailey") often referred to the wine at Pomeroy's bar as "Pomeroy's plonk" (as well as "Chateau Thames Embankment").

The word acquired a new meaning with the advent of the Usenet. The Usenet predecessor of this Forum's "Ignore list" had the immensely satisfying name of "kill file." And the term "plonk" meant putting someone's monicker in your kill file. You would then not only not see their posts, you would also not see any notification that their posts were hidden.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote