retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 04:04   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

874210 Posts

Haha, nice one! Thanks for sharing it.

BTW, why don't we have a "happy birthday" section? (we have one for RIP...)

May I steal this thread for a "happy birthday" thing?

Let's start...

Happy birthday Alexander Rybak.

I really love this guy, not only because he is a genius in music. He IS a genius, I would compare him to Mozart, he can sing, he plays I don't know how many instruments (I love that violin!), he talks I don't know how many languages, and not last thing, he is a very handsome man. But first of all I love him because I see him as the man who destroyed the political intrigues of the idiots from eurovision.

Remark I didn't use title cases, you don't write trash with title cases. I never liked eurovision. It was a very political thing from the very beginning, it was designed to be political. The voting is done in such a way to allow cheating, the winners were always not the best singers/songs, but they were selected on different criteria, every time when they want to point to some global problems, to point to some part of the world, or phenomenon, like petrol, war, homosexuality, whatever, and they wanted all the world to look in this or that direction, the right winner was selected (before contradicting me, look back in the past!). Many talents go there with hope, just to find their wings broken.

All until Rybak. In the year when he participated, the voting for him was so massive, they could not avoid giving the award to him. I think that the public would skin them alive if they would try to do otherwise. I usually (with few exceptions) vote for Romania, from patriotism (or call it nostalgia, stupidity, whatever), even if I know that most of the time my vote is wasted and/or the song/singer didn't worth my vote. That year I voted for Rybak, and I was proud to do so. I was proud that humanity gives such a guy. Don't laugh!

This year they didn't sent him at Copenhagen, even if he had a song written for him for this special event. They were afraid of him, I imagine the red phone ringing somewhere and someone saying "hey friend, don't send that guy here, we have different plans, you know". He put the song on the web and already has millions of likes. People love the violin, the voice, the Russian inflorescence of the song.

This year the eurovision was again, as expected, a fiasco. I have nothing against transsexuals, but seriously??? (when Rybak won the show idiots were saying that he won because is looking nice and it was voted by homosexuals; other idiots dared to compare him with justin beaver, or how that bad ass kid is called). And now, what are they doing? Way to go eurovision... way to go...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 06:34   #4
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2×33×132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
... But first of all I love him because I see him as the man who destroyed the political intrigues of the idiots from eurovision.
Let me see. So a bearded lady (a blast from the 19th century circus acts) definitely shows that the idiots from eurovision were destroyed. Not.

Last fiddled with by Batalov on 2014-05-13 at 06:48
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 06:50   #5
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

2·3·149 Posts

How about posthumous birthdays? Yesterday would have been the 114th birthday of Dorothy Hodgkin -- a Nobel laureate that greatly impacted the field of biomedical and biochemical research.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 07:32   #6
Jayder

Dec 2012

2·139 Posts

Am I the only one wondering why a Star Wars Day thread is being turned into a birthday thread? LaurV's post seems very out of the blue.
Jayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 09:26   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

210468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayder View Post
LaurV's post seems very out of the blue.
That may be so, sorry for doing it. At the time I did it, it didn't look so odd. Some supermod can split the thread, although I don't believe that the title of the thread will stay as it is now for long time, considering the habit and ability of the threads in these forums the morph into new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Let me see. So a bearded lady (a blast from the 19th century circus acts) definitely shows that the idiots from eurovision were destroyed. Not.
Hm... You also might be right. I didn't say "for ever", the mother of idiots is always pregnant. Talking about Rybak, this is what he says about the bearded lady on May 10 (proving he IS a good guy, even if I don't agree with him, and it seems Serge does not agree with him too, but well, we are not musicians, and for me the world is more in black and white, and I am not exactly a pacifier, that is why I am not famous )

So, Alexander posted on his facebook page, on May 10:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rybak
"Say what you want about CONCHITA WURST, but her voice is unique. Just like when Michael Jackson did his operations, and created this "no other white man can sing like this"-phenomenon. Now I see a lady (although with beard), but still her lovely grace has a genius mix with masculine power that only a person with male genetics can possess. I know it probably started as a statement, but now it has become something truly unique in the music business. I hope I'm not the only one in Europe who thinks like this tonight. But of courses, I'm mostly curious about who is YOUR favorite tonight? Mine is Netherland, by far!!! And I'm extra happy that the ESC audience seems to like it as well. "
Now let's split the thread in 3, so naysayers will cry with envy
About eurovision: I was following chappy's link to "last week tonight" in the "warming" thread. And from there, I could not resist to look to John Oliver's opinion about eurovision. This guy is good too! (in spite of the fact we disagree about the climate change, he is good!) I didn't know about him, but I will watch his "weeks" from now on. Thanks chappy for sharing it. Here is the story. If you click "play", then please watch it to the end, it is worth all the money.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-05-13 at 09:30
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 09:38   #8
Jayder

Dec 2012

2·139 Posts

It's fine by me. :P I just thought you might have meant to post that in a different thread.

Last fiddled with by Jayder on 2014-05-13 at 09:41 Reason: You guys don't have a :P smiley.
Jayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 20:44   #9
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2×13×443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayder View Post
Am I the only one wondering why a Star Wars Day thread is being turned into a birthday thread? LaurV's post seems very out of the blue.
We at MF dot org are strong advocates of repurposing (not the kind involving dolphins, mind you) - recycle, reuse.

Title modded to reflect new usage - see how easy that was? And no kittens or puppies were harmed, even.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2014-05-13 at 20:46
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote