mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2007-10-06, 19:19   #1
umccullough

Jan 2007

78 Posts
Arrow Enhancing Sobistrator to work with SR2sieve?

KriZip: Thank you much!

I just switched to sr2sieve for the new range that hhh assigned me... testing it out for the first time here.

I guess there's no way to make it work with sobistrator on my windows box? ;)

Last fiddled with by umccullough on 2007-10-06 at 19:20
umccullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 20:29   #2
Joe O

Aug 2002

3×52×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umccullough View Post
KriZip: Thank you much!

I just switched to sr2sieve for the new range that hhh assigned me... testing it out for the first time here.

I guess there's no way to make it work with sobistrator on my windows box? ;)
Actually, there is. Sobistrator does not care what program finds the factors, so you can just point to the factor file created by SR2sieve. As for the status file, point to the checkpoint file instead? It might work.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 21:15   #3
umccullough

Jan 2007

7 Posts

Quote:
Actually, there is. Sobistrator does not care what program finds the factors, so you can just point to the factor file created by SR2sieve. As for the status file, point to the checkpoint file instead? It might work.
Well, it's off-topic for this thread, but if you have somewhere you can point me where sr2sieve setups are discussed, that would be nice.

I was hoping for the ability to quickly/easily set the ranges using sobistrator, but I guess I can just create an sr2work file - seems easy enough.
umccullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 23:22   #4
Joe O

Aug 2002

3×52×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umccullough View Post
Well, it's off-topic for this thread, but if you have somewhere you can point me where sr2sieve setups are discussed, that would be nice.

I was hoping for the ability to quickly/easily set the ranges using sobistrator, but I guess I can just create an sr2work file - seems easy enough.
I forgot about that part of it. Maybe Geoff will be kind enough to update sobistrator to work with SR2sieve.

HHH,
Thank you for your indulgence. Could you move these posts to a thread titled "Enhancing Sobistrator to work with SR2sieve"?
Thank you again.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 11:25   #5
KriZp

Feb 2007

11111002 Posts

If the sobistrator code is opensource and available I guess it wouldn't be a big problem for one of the many capable programmers that frequent this forum to make a sr2sieve compatible version, but it might be even easier to enable sr2sieve to run in "sobistrator compatibility mode", all that is required is to accept work from "nextrange.txt" in the format
Code:
pmin=100000000000
pmax=101000000000
and to once in a while write the progress to a file in a format sobistrator can read.

I made a file called Status.txt and added the line
Code:
pmin=0@760
to it, then pointed sobistrator to this file. Sobistrator now shows 760 kp/s as the speed of this particular machine, If I could tell sr2sieve to write to this file using the jjsieve format I suppose sobistrator would be fully functional again?. The thing I miss from the jjsieve/sobistrator combo is the ability to equalize ranges among different machines, and that feature requires sobistrator to calculate end dates, taking into account the speed of various machines, their current progress, and the new range I want to start.
KriZp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 21:44   #6
VJS

Dec 2004

29910 Posts

I have been pointing the sobstatus.dat to the checkpoint.txt and factor file to the factor file.

Hasn't been much on an issue since I'm reserving large ranges I don't havn't had to repoint those files yet.

True I don't get a speed or ETA in sobistrator but the client reports those in the DOS box. In any case I agree that it would be nice if the creator of the sobistrator program could update it for sr2... in any case I wouldn't ask for more our of the sr2 people currently I'd rather they spend their time optimizing the client.
VJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 23:03   #7
KriZp

Feb 2007

22×31 Posts

I still use sobistrator for factor submission, having set the option to open the PSP sieve submit page at the press of the "copy new" button. I use the "submit" button to submit SoB factors.

I suppose it would be possible to write a script that would create the files needed by sobistrator and put the relevant data in them, then use the equalize function in sobistrator, and afterwards run another script to put the computed ranges into sr2work.txt. probably not something that should be at the top of anyone's to-do list :)

I absolutely agree that a faster siever is to be prefered over this simple feature. Sr2sieve has had an amazing development lately, my sievespeed has increased so much I am now with the combined .dat close to where I was back when I used the SoB only dat and jjsieve.
KriZp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 02:21   #8
geoff

Mar 2003
New Zealand

13×89 Posts

Joe sent me the Sobistrator source, but since it is a graphical program in C++ it is probably easier for me to add a feature to sr2sieve to make it produce the files that sobistrator expects. I'll get on to it this week hopefully.

BTW if you use the latest 1.6.x version of sr2sieve, you can use the -e switch to make it report speeds in elapsed time instead of CPU time. This is what is needed by Sobistrator.
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 05:57   #9
geoff

Mar 2003
New Zealand

13·89 Posts

Getting sr2sieve to work with Sobistrator will take more changes than I first realised. Can someone who uses Sobistrator answer these questions:

Is it necessary to make sr2sieve wait when it finds that nextrange.txt is empty, or is it OK just to exit?

Are the ranges in nextrange.txt always multiples of 10^9?
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 06:19   #10
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
Are the ranges in nextrange.txt always multiples of 10^9?
Unless there's a setting I'm not aware of, absolutely.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 08:21   #11
axn

Jun 2003

22×11×107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
Is it necessary to make sr2sieve wait when it finds that nextrange.txt is empty, or is it OK just to exit?
IIRC, this is not required for the proper functioning of sobistrator/rieselator (per se). jjsieve / prothsieve had an explicit switch (-w ?) which asks it to wait if nextrange is empty, rather than exit. So if they were started without that switch, they too will exit at the end of current range if nextrange was empty.

DISCLAIMER:- I am writing this from memory. It'd be a good idea to do a reality check.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote