"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

46408 Posts
Exclamation Mersennewiki?

How about starting a Mersennewiki?

Alex

==========

Moderator's Note: Your wish has been fulfilled - I'm adding the link here and stickifying the thread to make it easier for potential contributors to know where to go:

http://www.mersennewiki.org/

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2006-05-22 at 18:21
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-03, 06:38   #2
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

2×3×293 Posts

There already is one, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_prime
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-03, 07:02   #3
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

246410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinydu
There already is one, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_prime
I more intended it as a place where info discussed on the forum can be filed in an organised manner. The forum contains an impressive wealth of info on all kinds of topics by now, but the info is hard to find - the threads often change topic before the really interesting stuff starts.

Alex
Old 2005-09-04, 08:32   #4
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruppa
I more intended it as a place where info discussed on the forum can be filed in an organised manner. The forum contains an impressive wealth of info on all kinds of topics by now, but the info is hard to find - the threads often change topic before the really interesting stuff starts.
So we could wiki the best explanations of how ECM works, how PrimeNet processes expired assignments, that sort of stuff? A comprehensive checklist for newbies who get "Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4"? And separately, the best discussions of some non-math topics? Is that what you have in mind?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2005-09-04 at 08:38
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-04, 08:54   #5
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

246410 Posts

Something like that, yeah. A place to keep info worth keeping, in a well-origanised manner. The Wiki could contain cut-and-paste copies of good self-contained postings, the summaries of threads, info on one topic that is scattered across threads, etc.

The topics you mentioned are good examples. Some more (ECM-centered, cause that's what I do most of the time) might be: where to get ECM software, how to compile it, how to get started factoring numbers, what parameters to choose and effect on probability of finding factors, how those probabilities are computed, how to interpret the ECM work done tables, etc. All these are things that have been discussed at some point but are hard to find among all the threads.

Alex
Old 2005-09-04, 09:11   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1C1416 Posts

Fantastic! A wiki could work out better than what I had in mind last spring about assembling a collection of quick references for common newbie questions. I'd love to systematically scan all old forum threads to catalog useful stuff for a wiki.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2005-09-04 at 09:14
Old 2005-09-04, 09:31   #7
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22·97 Posts

In a much earlier thread cheesehead said he was going to start compiling such a thing, and expected it to be ready by July. I have been meaning to ask him how that was going, but couldn’t figure out how to do it without it seeming an unfair question. I thought it an excellent idea back then and very much wanted to see it come to fruition.
From his response to this thread it would seem that he has forgotten that, but if he is still willing I am prepared to help. But only to help. I am not clever enough to discern the wheat from the chaff, but am sufficiently interested to be able to edit stuff and pass it to someone else for technical approval. And I still think this is an excellent idea.

He obviously has not forgotten after all!

Last fiddled with by Numbers on 2005-09-04 at 09:33
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-04, 09:49   #8
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×599 Posts

Numbers, I never forgot. I've had a lifelong tendency to overcommit myself to projects I can't possibly finish. Now I try to rein that in, but still slip. After announcing my intention back then I found that my original plan for implementation was unworkable, thought I could do it some way but failed to consider a wiki.

Quote:
couldn’t figure out how to do it without it seeming an unfair question.
Just PM me.
Old 2005-09-04, 10:19   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

100111100010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers
In a much earlier thread cheesehead said he was going to start compiling such a thing, and expected it to be ready by July. I have been meaning to ask him how that was going, but couldn’t figure out how to do it without it seeming an unfair question. I thought it an excellent idea back then and very much wanted to see it come to fruition.
From his response to this thread it would seem that he has forgotten that, but if he is still willing I am prepared to help. But only to help. I am not clever enough to discern the wheat from the chaff, but am sufficiently interested to be able to edit stuff and pass it to someone else for technical approval. And I still think this is an excellent idea.

He obviously has not forgotten after all!
I don't remember him saying which July

All in all, I think it a good idea, but don't have much time to contribute to it myself at the moment.

Go for it !

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-04, 10:33   #10
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

28910 Posts

Quote:
where to get ECM software, how to compile it, how to get started factoring numbers
I guess that's going to make my guides (and this) obsolete
(But then again; I wanted to find another person to "host" my guides anyway - and a wiki would probably be a better place for the guides than geocities).

Quote:
what parameters to choose and effect on probability of finding factors, how those probabilities are computed, how to interpret the ECM work done tables, etc. All these are things that have been discussed at some point but are hard to find among all the threads.
Great idea! I am very interested in finding out such things.

Last fiddled with by OmbooHankvald on 2005-09-04 at 10:34
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-04, 10:40   #11
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

18416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmbooHankvald
I guess that's going to make my guides obsolete
Ombo, your guides will never be obsolete. They are an absolutely fantastic piece of work and greatly appreciated by many people. Mersenne-Wiki will be a complement to, not a replacement for your wonderful site.

A fan,
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote