mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > News

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-15, 23:48   #23
PrimeCruncher
 
PrimeCruncher's Avatar
 
Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

70210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flava
Hmmm... based on the information available I narrowed down the info from cleared.txt to less than 20 exponents. One of them looks like a probable candidate to me ... and it isn't small. Here is a encrypted prediction: Ír½Mü¶ÞKøBCnXXQñ
First, how did you get down to 20? Do you know the hour the UNVERIFIED first appeared in?

I have a couple that look good, one especially so also. It's residue is remarkably similar to previous known false residues and, checking LUCAS_V.txt, it appears in a handful of exponents there, and in only one other exponent in cleared.txt.

EDIT: The residue also has two inverted 47s in it, which makes me even more optimistic.

Last fiddled with by PrimeCruncher on 2004-05-15 at 23:51
PrimeCruncher is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 00:03   #24
flava
 
flava's Avatar
 
Feb 2003

2·59 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeCruncher
First, how did you get down to 20? Do you know the hour the UNVERIFIED first appeared in?

I have a couple that look good, one especially so also. It's residue is remarkably similar to previous known false residues and, checking LUCAS_V.txt, it appears in a handful of exponents there, and in only one other exponent in cleared.txt.

EDIT: The residue also has two inverted 47s in it, which makes me even more optimistic.
I don't know the hour but tried to make a reasonable guess. With the number of prime junkies checking PrimeNet, I don't think it takes too long before the news gets out.
I'm not 100% sure I got the right one, of course.
I think I see the one that looks good to you. Mine happens a bit later.

Last fiddled with by flava on 2004-05-16 at 00:05
flava is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 01:27   #25
PrimeCruncher
 
PrimeCruncher's Avatar
 
Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2×33×13 Posts
Default

Okay, my enciphered prediction:
BFWICH-MJW OZIRZPI, BMQ YCIVAQV QNGBH-JLIP BYBCASMV, CYLPW YKMVQWV JLIPBH-AWDPM
PrimeCruncher is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 02:34   #26
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,703 Posts
Default

My guess:

[pre]f24d6de6e5087caa136135bd50eff38b[/pre]
Xyzzy is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 03:17   #27
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

157368 Posts
Default

Thank you all for making your predictions encrypted. It adds to the fun and anticipation if we don't prematurely blurt out the new prime.

BTW, it is a new prime. The user sent in his save file. I reran the final 15,000 iterations and prime95 rediscovered the prime. There is no known method for creating a bogus save file that falsely rediscovers the prime.

Finally, does anyone have some big UNIX iron to run an official verification on for a month? Guillermo Ballester only has an Athlon machine to run Glucas on. I haven't heard from Ernst Mayer yet.
Prime95 is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 04:20   #28
justinsane
 
Mar 2004

3×11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95
Thank you all for making your predictions encrypted. It adds to the fun and anticipation if we don't prematurely blurt out the new prime.

BTW, it is a new prime. The user sent in his save file. I reran the final 15,000 iterations and prime95 rediscovered the prime. There is no known method for creating a bogus save file that falsely rediscovers the prime.

Finally, does anyone have some big UNIX iron to run an official verification on for a month? Guillermo Ballester only has an Athlon machine to run Glucas on. I haven't heard from Ernst Mayer yet.

I'd gladly run an official verification on a UNIX P4 2.4G

vanklein@buffalo.edu
justinsane is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 04:56   #29
roy1942
 
Aug 2002

47 Posts
Default

In the hour before the 'unverified' notice first appeared, there were 11 exponents checked in that satisfied 'new record', i.e., larger than 20996011. Six of these are from participants ranking in the top 1000. Two of these are 33M exponents.

I don't see how to narrow it down any further.
roy1942 is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 05:30   #30
roy1942
 
Aug 2002

2F16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95
Finally, does anyone have some big UNIX iron to run an official verification on for a month? Guillermo Ballester only has an Athlon machine to run Glucas on. I haven't heard from Ernst Mayer yet.
A 33M exponent would take about a month using Prime95 on the fastest P4. I don't know how fast "big UNIX iron" running Glucas could do it. Does this request for a month for a verification point to a 33M exponent, or rule it out?

One of the 33M candidates alluded to in my previous post had been running for over a year. If that's the one, it proves the value of persistence!
roy1942 is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 12:34   #31
PrimeCruncher
 
PrimeCruncher's Avatar
 
Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2·33·13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy1942
In the hour before the 'unverified' notice first appeared, there were 11 exponents checked in that satisfied 'new record', i.e., larger than 20996011. Six of these are from participants ranking in the top 1000. Two of these are 33M exponents.

I don't see how to narrow it down any further.
What hour did the UNVERIFIED appear in?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out based on my chart. My guess is one of the six!

Last fiddled with by PrimeCruncher on 2004-05-16 at 12:39
PrimeCruncher is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 14:17   #32
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2·3·29·41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsane
I'd gladly run an official verification on a UNIX P4 2.4G
The ideal machine would be a multi-processor Itanium or Alpha or Sun machine. Glucas is multi-threaded. Guillermo is privately emailing some GLUCAS users to see if any are interested.
Prime95 is offline  
Old 2004-05-16, 14:19   #33
PrimeCruncher
 
PrimeCruncher's Avatar
 
Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2·33·13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95
The ideal machine would be a multi-processor Itanium or Alpha or Sun machine. Glucas is multi-threaded. Guillermo is privately emailing some GLUCAS users to see if any are interested.
A month on a multi-processor Itanium? I guess that would point to a 33M exponent...
PrimeCruncher is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When will the first 10 million digit prime be reported? Uncwilly Lounge 13 2009-07-22 13:56
47th Mersenne prime reported! ixfd64 Lounge 1 2009-06-10 16:14
41st Mersenne Prime found? Unregistered Data 4 2004-05-21 10:08
41st Mersenne Prime Found??? Prime95 Lounge 52 2004-03-23 20:06
40th Known Mersenne Prime Reported!! Citrix Lounge 28 2003-12-21 19:42

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:38.

Fri Oct 23 00:38:11 UTC 2020 up 42 days, 21:49, 0 users, load averages: 1.75, 1.54, 1.57

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.