Old 2016-09-15, 23:49   #1
stebbo

"Chris"
Jul 2016
Melbourne

29 Posts
Default Scripting startup on multiple systems

Hi All,

I'm the network manager at a high school with some computer labs which I'd like to get slowly churning away (yes, I have permission). I'd like to distribute the program to all my machines (iMacs) via a script and think I have a handle on most of what I need.

My question is this. In the local.txt file, if I give the machine it's own name on the ComputerID= line, but leave the ComputerGUID= line blank, will the program fill this in and will this be ok?

I'd rather not have to manually configure multiple machines if I don't have to.

Cheers,
Chris.
stebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 04:44   #2
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

23×197 Posts

The ComputerGUID and some other values are filled in by the program with values given by the server.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 04:45   #3
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

23·359 Posts

You can just delete the GUID line. A new GUID will be assigned when the program first connects to PrimeNet (mersenne.org).
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 16:08   #4
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebbo View Post
Hi All,

I'm the network manager at a high school with some computer labs which I'd like to get slowly churning away (yes, I have permission). I'd like to distribute the program to all my machines (iMacs) via a script and think I have a handle on most of what I need.

My question is this. In the local.txt file, if I give the machine it's own name on the ComputerID= line, but leave the ComputerGUID= line blank, will the program fill this in and will this be ok?

I'd rather not have to manually configure multiple machines if I don't have to.

Cheers,
Chris.
The work would be most welcome, and kudos on getting permission first.

If you need more help beyond what was offered (just leaving out the guid line), holler. A few of us on here are very familiar with dealing with large #'s of systems and might have additional tips.

I think you're on the right track though... a common set of files with maybe only the computer name being different in the local.txt file should be sufficient. Even if you leave the guid config entry as-is, when it starts up it'll realize it's on a different machine and generate a new GUID automatically.

If the machines get turned off/on a lot or move around or may become unavailable for long periods of time, it may be beneficial to limit how many days of work it will queue up, just so it doesn't check out a bunch of work that may expire if it's turned off over summers or weekends or whatever. The default is 30 days I think? Should be fine, but you could edit the DaysOfWork in prime.txt to something a bit smaller if you thought that made more sense.

I'm trying to remember if Curtis uses something different on his systems. I think he may only get 5-10 days of work at a time which avoids his large # of systems getting a huge chunk of work at once.

It would all come out in the wash, but having fewer active assignments at any one time may make it easier for you to manage.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 21:33   #5
GP2

Sep 2003

A1516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Even if you leave the guid config entry as-is, when it starts up it'll realize it's on a different machine and generate a new GUID automatically.
Maybe it's best not to count on that. If I recall, I think I had multiple machines with the same GUID, and it caused the http://www.mersenne.org/cpus/ page to think they were all just one machine. Then again, those were virtual machines in the cloud which were for all intents and purposes absolutely identical.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 08:45   #6
stebbo

"Chris"
Jul 2016
Melbourne

29 Posts

Thanks everyone for the help.

It seems to be working ok and I've got about a dozen machines started so far. Slowly scripting more of the process as I progress.

My next task will be to try to get about 150 classroom PC's setup with prime95 in service mode, but suspect that will be a little more difficult.

Cheers,
Chris.
stebbo is offline   Reply With Quote