mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2013-12-07, 21:41   #1
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,643 Posts
Default Trading of work-types for optimal efficiency!

So, a thought for discussion...

Recently, LaruV offered to "trade" GPU LL-TFing work for CPU P-1'ing work.

About seven or so months ago Aramis offered to trade GPU TFing in the 332M range with Uncwilly for CPU P-1'ing in the LL range.

An interested "natural manifestation" of an optimizing barter economy!

I'm wondering if this might be extended to additional participants...

Specifically, some might be doing a work-type on a GPU which is "sub-optimal" to GIMPS as a whole, but which is being done because that particular participant wants to do (or, at least, see done) that specific type of work.

This is perfectly fine, of course -- it's their kit. But there might be a more optimal solution space...

Would the users of GPU72 be interested in a formal "trading exchange" of work-types, to optimize our combined resources?

This would work something like the following: I, personally, am interested in TFing. But I only have one GPU; the rest of my machines are mostly high-power rack-mount servers which can't take a consumer grade GPU. Thus, I have way more CPU power, but much less GPU power, than I really want.

Now, if there were users out there who were doing, for example, P-1, DC or LL work on their GPUs, we could "trade" resources such that the GPUs do what they're best at (TFing), and the CPUs could do what they're best at (all the other work types).

Thoughts?

Anyone out there currently doing anything but TFing on their GPUs interested in this idea?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:07   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

234048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
So, a thought for discussion...

Recently, LaruV offered to "trade" GPU LL-TFing work for CPU P-1'ing work.

About seven or so months ago Aramis offered to trade GPU TFing in the 332M range with Uncwilly for CPU P-1'ing in the LL range.

An interested "natural manifestation" of an optimizing barter economy!

I'm wondering if this might be extended to additional participants...

Specifically, some might be doing a work-type on a GPU which is "sub-optimal" to GIMPS as a whole, but which is being done because that particular participant wants to do (or, at least, see done) that specific type of work.

This is perfectly fine, of course -- it's their kit. But there might be a more optimal solution space...

Would the users of GPU72 be interested in a formal "trading exchange" of work-types, to optimize our combined resources?

This would work something like the following: I, personally, am interested in TFing. But I only have one GPU; the rest of my machines are mostly high-power rack-mount servers which can't take a consumer grade GPU. Thus, I have way more CPU power, but much less GPU power, than I really want.

Now, if there were users out there who were doing, for example, P-1, DC or LL work on their GPUs, we could "trade" resources such that the GPUs do what they're best at (TFing), and the CPUs could do what they're best at (all the other work types).

Thoughts?

Anyone out there currently doing anything but TFing on their GPUs interested in this idea?

I think that it is a very interesting idea. It sounds much closer to a "Free Market" than the predatory corporate environment which we now see masquerading under the banner of "Free" Markets.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 01:06   #3
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

What are the current exchange rates?
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 01:34   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

928610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
What are the current exchange rates?
For P-1, about 8 to 1.

But, we need to find buyers....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 01:55   #5
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

8 GHz-Days of P-1 for 1 GHz-Day of TF??????

Sign me up!
Old 2013-12-08, 06:04   #6
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

23×271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
8 GHz-Days of P-1 for 1 GHz-Day of TF??????

Sign me up!
I believe it is the opposite, sorry

8 GHz days of TF for 1 GHz-Days for P-1.

There are a lot of people with a lot of cpu firepower(cue: LaurV?) with 100+ GHz a day.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 06:35   #7
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

172710 Posts

Yeah that's kind of what I thought.

I think I'm going to pass on account of keeping my stats as my stats. I'll admit to being a GHz-Days whore and I don't really feel like trading them off at less than one-for-one

While a tiny bit of P-1 to get me into top 100 would be kind of nice I'll stick with my own hardware. The trading will just round out my stats but will make no difference for the commune union project.
Old 2014-03-12, 19:31   #8
c10ck3r

Aug 2010
Kansas

547 Posts

I made a previous deal in which Mr. Barbados wrote a (probably pretty simple for someone with a functioning brain) script in exchange for dedicated GPU power (about a THz-Day IIRC). If someone with xml or DOS experience would like to make a similar deal, please PM me. I'm having trouble getting our new label printer set up software-wise, and the Mexican tech support is of no assistance :/
Thanks in advance!
c10ck3r is offline   Reply With Quote