mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

View Poll Results: What do you think of Rush Limbaugh's statements?
Limbaugh's comments were racist! 1 6.67%
Those comments weren't racist, this has been blown way out of proportion! 11 73.33%
I don't have an opinion. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-10-02, 13:55   #1
eepiccolo

Dec 2002
Frederick County, MD

2×5×37 Posts
Default The Rush Limbaugh Comment

Last Sunday on the NFL Sunday Countdown on ESPN, Rush Limbaugh made some controversial statements regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, which many have construed to be racist. If you missed this story, just go to any of the major news websites to learn more about it.

So here is the issue up for argument. Were Limbaugh's comments racist, or has this all blown out of proportion?
eepiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-06, 13:37   #2
eepiccolo

Dec 2002
Frederick County, MD

2·5·37 Posts

I guess it's not as controversial as the media is making it out to be, at least in this circle. Only one person voted that the statements were racist.

I would contend that the statements were not racist, but if that one person who thinks they are would like to debate the subject, I would be glad to participate in that debate.
Old 2003-10-07, 07:20   #3
robreid

Aug 2002
New Zealand

31 Posts

To allow us overseas to to at least follow this debate can you post who Rush Limbaugh is and what was said
robreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-07, 08:08   #4
nomadicus

Jan 2003
North Carolina

2×3×41 Posts

Want to see the actual broadcast?
To see the actual video that was broadcast, goto here
Scan down the page for the text "Week Four: Challenge on Donovan McNabb:" (or just execute the find command in your browser and look "week four"). Click on the video link.

Week four refers to his fourth week on ESPN.

There is a video link on his ESPN debut called "Week one". Interestingly enough, no one anywhere got excited about that broadcast.

Draw your own conclusions.
nomadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-07, 08:15   #5
nomadicus

Jan 2003
North Carolina

2·3·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by eepiccolo
I would contend that the statements were not racist, but if that one person who thinks they are would like to debate the subject, I would be glad to participate in that debate.
eepicccolo. I agree with you. I don't follow football and never heard of McNabb until this started. This thing has been overblown.
nomadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-07, 12:34   #6
eepiccolo

Dec 2002
Frederick County, MD

2×5×37 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by robreid
To allow us overseas to to at least follow this debate can you post who Rush Limbaugh is and what was said
Sorry 'bout that, I'll reference stories better from now on.
Old 2003-10-08, 03:10   #7
battlemaxx

Nov 2002

43 Posts

Well, I think McNabb is an okay quarterback. Right now, Steve McNair is probably one of the best in the game, atm.

P. Manning showed he has abilities in the win over the Bucs last night.

The race issue will come up from time to time. It takes the right combination of brains and brawn to be an elite quarterback. Who would you want leading your team 99 yards with 2 minutes left and the season on the line?

Michael Vick is out (for now), as is Dante Culpepper with Minnesota. Aaron Brooks is in New Orleans, Jeff Blake is at the helm somewhere, Kordell Stewart left Pittsburgh for Da Bears, and that's the QBs I can think of of African-American origin.

The media has to have a darling, the Redskins QB (Patrick Ramsey) seems like the second coming or something, if you listened to the announcers covering the game the other day.

Rush spoke his mind, it's what he does and gets attention, and what he gets paid to do. The media will have a favored athlete, regardless of skin color. It's as much about marketing as it is about talent.
battlemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote