mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Wikis > mersennewiki

Old 2005-09-07, 08:55   #23
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

6048 Posts

Having seen the SoB wiki I take back everything I said - earlier in this thread - about sections. When there's not a lot of stuff there it is a useful way for the user to navigate around and find what he wants.

There is obviously going to be a lot of discussion about how "hard" the maths either is or should be presented. Some people will feel that if you don't know what modulo means, for example, then it's up to you to find out if you are sufficiently interested. Others will feel that part of what the wiki is about is education. But I think it's fairly obvious that at some point we have to draw the line and expect the reader to know something about the subject. So maybe we can draw the line in different places according to the complexity of the topic being discussed. It would, for example, be almost impossible to say anything useful about selecting polynomials for ECM factoring without using some advanced maths. But, as I hope my article on the Lucas-Lehmer test shows, this is not essential for all topics but can be incorporated for those who need it.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-07, 09:01   #24
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×7×241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers
according to the complexity of the topic being discussed. It would, for example, be almost impossible to say anything useful about selecting polynomials for ECM factoring without using some advanced maths.
Minor typo there -- I think you meant NFS and not ECM.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-07, 12:51   #25
Prime Monster

Aug 2002

22×5×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers
There is obviously going to be a lot of discussion about how "hard" the maths either is or should be presented. Some people will feel that if you don't know what modulo means, for example, then it's up to you to find out if you are sufficiently interested. Others will feel that part of what the wiki is about is education. But I think it's fairly obvious that at some point we have to draw the line and expect the reader to know something about the subject. So maybe we can draw the line in different places according to the complexity of the topic being discussed. It would, for example, be almost impossible to say anything useful about selecting polynomials for ECM factoring without using some advanced maths. But, as I hope my article on the Lucas-Lehmer test shows, this is not essential for all topics but can be incorporated for those who need it.
If you want to add a page on a complex or advanced math piece, just start with an overview that explains the concept in an easy manner. The point with a wiki is that you can add anything you like, to whatever level you want, just mark the page as advanced with links to easier material where that is needed. This easier material does not need to be added at the same time. The wiki itself will note that there is a page requested for whatever material you think should go in there.
Prime Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-08, 13:59   #26
Prime Monster

Aug 2002

22·5·13 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi everybody,

It is time to go to work!!!!

The Mersenne Wiki is now operational, and needs contributions for contributors (yes, that is you ). Take a look at the Wanted Pages if you do not know where to start.

Personally I am working on adding a GIMPS FAQ to the Wiki. I used to have one a long time ago, so it is probably full of mistakes and errors, but at least it is a start. I am also transferring the content of the "New to GIMPS" thread.

PM
Old 2005-09-08, 14:14   #27
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

175810 Posts

How do I indicate that an article is a "stub"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Stub
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-08, 14:57   #28
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

22×577 Posts

You have to create a template for stub notices. Then, the template could be imported onto the article.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-08, 15:10   #29
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts

I have tried doing so. Try writing {{stub}}
OmbooHankvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-08, 16:55   #30
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

22×577 Posts

You'll also need the page "template:stub".
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-08, 20:40   #31
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

1001000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64
You'll also need the page "template:stub".
Been there, done that (hopefully).
Old 2005-09-09, 08:07   #32
OmbooHankvald

May 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark

172 Posts
Default Help!

How do you create a new article? I can, if I see a red link, click on it to create a new article, but I cannot find any other way of doing it.

On Wikipedia, when you search for something and no articles are found it asks if you want to create the new article. It doesn't do that here. Why?
Old 2005-09-09, 10:09   #33
Prime Monster

Aug 2002

22×5×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmbooHankvald
How do you create a new article? I can, if I see a red link, click on it to create a new article, but I cannot find any other way of doing it.

On Wikipedia, when you search for something and no articles are found it asks if you want to create the new article. It doesn't do that here. Why?
You open a link to a non-existant page, lets say "example page", in the browser using this url:

Code:
http://www.mersennewiki.org/index.php/Example Page
Then select edit on that page. The wiki will change that to

http://www.mersennewiki.org/index.php/Example_Page

and the page will be created when you save the edit.

PM