Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2020-06-06, 00:53   #1
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

7·229 Posts
Default Windows 10 v2004

I just discovered this as a currently optional download in my Update & Security settings. I had recently updated to v1909. An article I read explains the 2004 reference at the top. I believe everyone here knows how their naming convention works.

They have reworked the Linux subsystem, calling it Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2). It runs in a virtual machine supposedly transparent by the Windows system.

They have added some things in the Task Manager regarding SSD's and GPU's. I did not read the details. There are several other things covered also.

This update is currently optional, as I stated above. It most likely will go into a "push" mode at some point. I have never been one to jump on something new when it appears. I indeed to wait and see what happens down the road.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 17:16   #2
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

41710 Posts

I rather fear that soon a Microsoft account gets mandatory to use Windows. Some news on that front there?
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 17:50   #3
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

2·787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
I rather fear that soon a Microsoft account gets mandatory to use Windows. Some news on that front there?
They nag you, change your local account in a MS account (if you have one) when you login on certain MS sites... But in the PRO version (don't know about Home edition) one can even set group or local policies to prevent such changes.

But the trend is clear : you buy the computer, but then everything you do with is the property of the different software and services suppliers and you will not be able to buy Software any more, but you will just have the right to rent it. And when you stop paying the rent, everything you have done with the software will not be accessible anymore ! The same trend exists with all their Cloud Services it is not your data it is theirs.

I state again that I can't understand that Office 365 (used by the European institutions, Commission,Council, Parliament, ...) they pass the GDPR...

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 18:23   #4
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

10001110101112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I just discovered this as a currently optional download in my Update & Security settings. I had recently updated to v1909. An article I read explains the 2004 reference at the top. I believe everyone here knows how their naming convention works.

They have reworked the Linux subsystem, calling it Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2). It runs in a virtual machine supposedly transparent by the Windows system.

They have added some things in the Task Manager regarding SSD's and GPU's. I did not read the details. There are several other things covered also.

This update is currently optional, as I stated above. It most likely will go into a "push" mode at some point. I have never been one to jump on something new when it appears. I indeed to wait and see what happens down the road.
In an odd instance of Murphy's Law, that option is now appearing on my Win10 systems that I don't want to use it on, but not appearing where I would like to use it to get to WSL2.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 20:06   #5
mackerel

Feb 2016
UK

389 Posts

I got offered the update on a Haswell-E system, but it hasn't shown up at all on 4 other Skylake or newer systems.

I heard elsewhere there is a known problem if you use Optane Memory Cache. Not hearing any other negative news apart from that.
mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 03:34   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

32×643 Posts

I gave up fighting MS, and their disgraceful plans to spy on everything, about three years ago.

We still have a few machines remaining running Win7 and WinXP, but they are not connected to the open Internet.

It is none of MSes business what I do with my machines, they can go jump off a cliff IMO.

Hehe [/rant]
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 23:34   #7
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

7·229 Posts

I am a firm believer in the idea that if something is not broken, do not try to fix it. I ran v1903 for a long time and never had any problems. It has been the same, so far, with v1909. Perhaps it may be a good idea to stay one update behind the current. Automatic updates can be deferred for 35 days. I plan on continuing to defer for quite a while yet.
Old 2020-06-21, 23:27   #8
scan80269

"Sam"
Jun 2019
California, USA

1D16 Posts

I recently did a clean (from scratch) install of Windows 10 v2004 into one of my machines, and quickly discovered that Microsoft forces the use of a Microsoft account during the initial setup, and only offers an obscure way to switch the machine to a local user account after setup completes.

One workaround I found that works for clean OS installs is to deliberately deprive the machine of an internet connection. During the installation, Win10 will attempt to connect the machine to the internet via Ethernet (wired) or WiFi. If the machine has WiFi hardware installed, Win10 installer will find WiFi access points & hotspots within wireless range, but an option called "I don't have internet" can be selected to force Win10 to move on without establishing an internet connection, and proceed to setting up a local user account instead of a Microsoft account.

My job with a PC company requires me to interact strongly with Windows on a daily basis. My colleagues and I have long recommended Windows users to avoid jumping into OS upgrade offers from Microsoft, and also to use the "defer updates for up to 7 days" option to avoid the machine & user being put on the bleeding edge of Windows evolution. Also, any Windows updates marked as "optional" should not be manually downloaded and installed. Quite a few of these updates are often quickly pulled from Windows Update by Microsoft just days after their release in response to new issues they created in the field, and these updates are often replaced by "cleaner" ones that are released a while later.

While it is true that Windows 10 version updates will eventually be forced by Microsoft, with a 6-month cadence, there is no general advantage or benefit for the vast majority of PCs in the field going through these updates "sooner rather than later". Holding off for as long as possible has become the safest approach.
scan80269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-22, 00:41   #9
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

7×229 Posts

If what you have runs fine then there is no need to change it. I was nudged into v1909. I have been running Riesel prime searches since February. Now, my old i5-3570 system, using Windows 7 Pro, runs LLR faster than this newer one with an i7. Before the upgrade, this was not the case. On the other hand, Prime95 seems no different. I do not plan to take on v2004 until I am forced to do so.
Old 2020-06-22, 00:43   #10
dcheuk

Jan 2019
Pittsburgh, PA

3×7×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scan80269 View Post
I recently did a clean (from scratch) install of Windows 10 v2004 into one of my machines, and quickly discovered that Microsoft forces the use of a Microsoft account during the initial setup, and only offers an obscure way to switch the machine to a local user account after setup completes.
Noticed this as well since 1904, and I wish they would get rid of that 'hi, it's cortana' sound after installation lol

Well at least msft haven't made account login a requirement yet for downloading apps from its app store, in which Apple does.
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-22, 09:08   #11
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

5028 Posts

If you are using Windows 10 Professional, there is still an option for an offline account. We just installed a machine here freshly with Windows 10 Professional 2004 and it was connected to the internet during installation.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote