mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2020-02-10, 19:51   #1
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

2×13×19 Posts
Default How to manually reserve TF

First, I know, GPU and all. I have an old 32 bit Lenovo laptop that I'm pretty sure can't do mfacto and mfactc. This laptop will be on MAYBE 50 hours per year. So I want to set it to do TF on a Mersenne I've already reserved. But I don't know how to do that. I see the worktodo does Factor=[HEX],exponent,lowerbound,upperbound . I don't know how to deal with that hex.

I asked a similar question about a Chromebook but I'm probably not going to do anything there.

Last fiddled with by JuanTutors on 2020-02-10 at 19:53
JuanTutors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-10, 19:58   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTutors View Post
I don't know how to deal with that hex.
Change it to be "N/A", and then Prime95/mprime won't try to reserve it from Primenet, but will report the results once completed.

You're aware that TF'ing on a CPU is a waste of electrons, but they're yours to do with as you wish...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-10, 20:03   #3
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

2·13·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Change it to be "N/A", and then Prime95/mprime won't try to reserve it from Primenet, but will report the results once completed.

You're aware that TF'ing on a CPU is a waste of electrons, but they're yours to do with as you wish...
It's that or nada for a 7 year old laptop that will be on for minutes per day.
Old 2020-02-10, 20:14   #4
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

2·13·19 Posts

I know it's greedy to use the tiny number of minutes I am running this to work on my own Mersennes but honestly when I say max 50 hours, it's more like "I haven't turned on this laptop in 2 years" minutes. It's just going to do occasional calculations, and periodic P-1 on my Mersennes will require time to do GCD, and the chance of the laptop being on that long is low. Unless I'm wrong about this laptop being able to do mfacto/mfactc and unless that would be faster on this old laptop, that seems to be my option.
Old 2020-02-11, 00:31   #5
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

23·7·79 Posts

Quote:
I know it's greedy to use the tiny number of minutes I am running this to work on my own Mersennes but honestly when I say max 50 hours, it's more like "I haven't turned on this laptop in 2 years" minutes. It's just going to do occasional calculations, and periodic P-1 on my Mersennes will require time to do GCD, and the chance of the laptop being on that long is low. Unless I'm wrong about this laptop being able to do mfacto/mfactc and unless that would be faster on this old laptop, that seems to be my option.
For low hours PCs P-1 or ECM are your best bet. ECM assignments will finish in hours , P-1 in a couple days.
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-11, 00:42   #6
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

8,719 Posts

PRP on cofactors is a fast operation too.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-11, 02:34   #7
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

1111011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
For low hours PCs P-1 or ECM are your best bet. ECM assignments will finish in hours , P-1 in a couple days.
So since I've already done P-1 on a higher ram and faster computer and have done TF to 2^81, I should do ECM first and then TF?
Old 2020-02-11, 05:18   #8
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

22×1,097 Posts

You shouldn't do TF, period. ECM is fine, or just accept that that particular machine isn't a useful contributor to GIMPS- just like the machine you carry in your pocket daily.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-12, 11:35   #9
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

3618 Posts

Indeed 50 hours per year is of little benefit to the project, and any assignment that you may have held from the outset would likely expire before completion, and likely be completed by another player.
snme2pm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-12, 12:31   #10
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

2·13·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snme2pm1 View Post
Indeed 50 hours per year is of little benefit to the project, and any assignment that you may have held from the outset would likely expire before completion, and likely be completed by another player.
First, really posting to find out if the error I got above is a bug in Prime95, since it worked fine on a smaller exponent.

Second, again, just doing some light TF and ECM on a project I'm already doing PRP with on another computer on the off chance I find a factor and save me whatever time remains from the PRP test. From what I gather, the probability of finding a factor between 2^81 and 2^82 is slightly above 1%, which is greater than 0%. I get that it's slow, but I haven't heard an actual reason why I should opt for no work over some work, when any work is positive work.

Last fiddled with by JuanTutors on 2020-02-12 at 12:32
Old 2020-02-12, 14:02   #11
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

8,719 Posts

Quote:
First, really posting to find out if the error I got above is a bug in Prime95, since it worked fine on a smaller exponent. .
You posted that in a different thread.

But, what people are trying to tell you is that some work is really of zero value. Doing ECM factoring on a number that is years ahead of the first time wave front is nonsensical. ECM is best used for low numbers that have had a good amount of TF and P-1 done.

If you want to make maximum use of your machine for the GIMPS project overall, I would suggest that you set it to do PRP (or PRP-DC) on Mersenne number cofactors.
The reasons are:
It is not a huge amount of work in terms of GHz days per assignment.
You will not be holding up any milestones.
Your assignment will not likely expire after a couple of months of slow progress.
It will help the project along, by revealing an important bit of data.
If your test does not match, a TC can determine if your machine is still sane.

Just because you are obsessed with a different number, doing any testing you can on it does not make sense. The only reason to do extra TF or P-1 on a number that is undergoing PRP or LL testing, is to try to "break" an number that is claimed to be prime, while the DC is being done. Doing ECM on such a number is fool-hearty. It is like trying to empty a supertanker with a bucket.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote