mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2017-09-12, 06:03   #1
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

43·103 Posts
Default Any experience with stuck GPU Fans...

Specifically GTX 750.
Happened twice now; first time under warranty; second too late.

I've read I can simply take off the fans and add a drop of 3-in-1 oil or silicone oil?

Or do I simply pitch it and get a screaming fast 1080? :)
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-12, 11:41   #2
mackerel

Feb 2016
UK

1100001102 Posts

You can try a DIY repair if there's nothing to lose, but once a fan start to go, it probably wont have that much more life even if you get it going again. As makeshift repairs I have in the past cable-tied case fans onto cards. You can also try looking at the fan part number, or exact card model number, and searching for it on ebay as there are places selling replacements. Depending on price, it might be worth considering.

If you should get a new much higher spec card is a different consideration...
mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-12, 12:45   #3
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

D3B16 Posts

I have repaired many fans, but some can't be gotten apart without destructive forces. On many fans, the blades can be removed by releasing a plastic washer under a rubber plug, often under a label on the side opposite the blades. There may be other washers in a particular order on the shaft.

I use a grease rather than oil. I try to use one that claims not to migrate. I think oil is too thin and will dry out quickly. I have found many ball bearing fans that either wore, or were improperly built, in which the shaft spins in the inner race, instead of making proper use of the bearings. These will not last long before more attention is needed.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-12, 17:06   #4
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·3·72·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Specifically GTX 750.

I've read I can simply take off the fans and add a drop of 3-in-1 oil or silicone oil?

With fans that make it hard, or impossible to reach the bearings by label-pealing or hub-drilling, I have been able to insert a thin tube along side the wires to the motor, and get oil to the bearings from the side. This works best if you have the fan on edge so that gravity works with you. It has taken a bit of time and working the fan up and down on the shaft for the oil to infiltrate. Of course, you don't want to overdo it.
I have a squeeze bottle of oil which came with a built-in tube. Lacking that, you might improvise with a tube like those which come with canned air.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 21:35   #5
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·7·331 Posts

Quote:
Specifically GTX 750.

I found a system recently in which its gradually increasing unreliability (over a period of years, it's old enough to vote) may have had something to do with one fan needing oil, and another having a burned out winding (brown label, char beneath). This was a PC with 3 fans total. Case fan was ok, power supply fan stalled, cpu fan burned out. After one relube and one replace, its mean time to hang is 100 times better.

Unless you are running out of slots, or concerned about your power bill, fix the 750 _and_ get that 1080?
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 21:41   #6
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

102538 Posts

I have found success by replacing the fan on a graphics card, when age and dust stopped it from reliably spinning.

It takes some effort to disassemble and reassemble the card, and maybe $10-$20 for the replacement fan (you should be able to find a model number on the fan, once the card is disassembled enough for you to take the fans off). I'll let you decide if cost/benefit-wise that makes sense.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2017-09-13 at 21:43
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 22:44   #7
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

234148 Posts

I understand your point about the value of one's time.

There are people like me, for whom these efforts are part of the entertainment value of having a computer. True, they are frustrating, and cause much cursing, especially if you have no alternate card.

I have dismantled more than one graphics card to replace the thermal interface material. Besides that, I am rather obsessed by fans.

Diff'rent strokes...
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-14, 02:59   #8
LikesTravel

Sep 2017

1 Posts
Default Any experience with stuck GPU Fans...

I have reconditioned two of the GTX750Ti fans before I found sources to get new ones, so it does work (at least for a while-YMMV).

The only sources I have found are:

3 Pin Rotary DC Brushless Server Dual Fan For Power Logic PLD08010S12H Replace | eBay

free shipping 2pcs lot power logic pld08010s12h 3pin

$14/set PLD08010S12H 3Pin

Free Shipping 2pcs/lot POWER LOGIC PLD08010S12H 3Pin 74mm DC12V 0.25A 40*40*40mm For GIGABYTE Graphics Card Cooler Cooling Fan-in Fans & Cooling from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I believe the original manufacturer is no longer making them. Good luck whichever way you go.
LikesTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-17, 15:59   #9
petrw1

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

442910 Posts
Default RIP

Seems that the fan started behaving for the last 4 days.
Until this AM when the GPU died completely.
Old 2017-09-19, 08:25   #10
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
Seems that the fan started behaving for the last 4 days.
Until this AM when the GPU died completely.
Gosh, It all seems futile to attempt to offer more oil to bronze bearings that run hot long hours.
It bothers me to image that any decent GPU manufacturer would use crap fans.
I vote to replace with ball bearings, or I prefer, ceramic bearing fans, as have done many times with zero regret.
My favorite wholesale electronic store has a sizeable stock range in this country.
Interpret that to mean that the good stuff might be hard to acquire.

PS: I noticed this thread late, is it really entirely dead or just not enduring more than a short burst without operational cooling?

Last fiddled with by snme2pm1 on 2017-09-19 at 08:38 Reason: PS
snme2pm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-19, 15:25   #11
petrw1

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

105158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snme2pm1 View Post
Is it really entirely dead or just not enduring more than a short burst without operational cooling?
The first thing I noticed that morning is that it was no longer sending any results from the GPU. In the past when the fan was stuck it would still send results but much less; without cooling fans that GPU would do 150 vs 500 Ghz/Day.

Sadly it had gone 4 days without any slowdowns to this point.

When I looked at the GPU that morning it showed no signs of life; no fans; no LEDs.

Then I went into the NVIDIA GPU tool it gave me as message something like: "No GPU detected".

Totally guessing, I might assume something burned out and deemed it unworkable.