mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Other Mathematical Topics

Old 2013-05-21, 13:15   #1
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

2·3·293 Posts
Default Manifolds Question

Let M be a compact n-manifold with boundary. Show that there is an open set U containing the boundary that is diffeomorphic to (the boundary) x [0,1)

--------

By definition of the boundary of a manifold, every point on the boundary has an open neighborhood that is diffeomorphic to R^{n-1} x [0,infinity), which of course I can shrink to R^{n-1} x [0,1). Also, by compactness, I can cover the boundary with finitely many such neighborhoods.

The hint here is that I'm supposed to use the theorem on existence of partitions of unity. Supposedly, that allows one to stitch together local information into global. Unfortunately, the book doesn't have any examples of that.

I'd actually prefer to work this problem out on my own, so... Any other examples of how to use partitions of unity to stitch together local information into global?

Thanks
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 13:43   #2
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

26·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinydu View Post
Let M be a compact n-manifold with boundary. Show that there is an open set U containing the boundary that is diffeomorphic to (the boundary) x [0,1)

--------

By definition of the boundary of a manifold, every point on the boundary has an open neighborhood that is diffeomorphic to R^{n-1} x [0,infinity), which of course I can shrink to R^{n-1} x [0,1). Also, by compactness, I can cover the boundary with finitely many such neighborhoods.
Looks good to me.

Quote:

The hint here is that I'm supposed to use the theorem on existence of partitions of unity. Supposedly, that allows one to stitch together local information into global. Unfortunately, the book doesn't have any examples of that.
I don't understand the hint either.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 19:44   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

9,791 Posts

I suspect your "finitely many such neighborhoods" constitute a POU.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 20:11   #4
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1C4016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I suspect your "finitely many such neighborhoods" constitute a POU.
'POU'??? Acronym?

Compact sets have finite covers by open sets.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 22:25   #5
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

110110111102 Posts

Here's the partition of unity theorem:

Let X be a manifold. For any covering of X by open sets {U_alpha}, there is a sequence of smooth functions {theta_i} on X such that:
(a) 0 <= theta_i <= 1
(b) Each x\in X has a neighborhood on which all but finitely many of the theta_i are zero
(c) Each theta_i is supported on one of the U_alpha
(d) \sum_i theta_i = 1 identically

I understand the statement of the theorem. Just not seeing how to apply it...

Here's another problem that has partition of unity as a hint, by the way:

Let X be a manifold with boundary. Then there is a smooth nonnegative function f:X->R with regular value at 0 such that (boundary)X = f^-1(0)

Thanks

Last fiddled with by jinydu on 2013-05-21 at 22:27
Old 2013-05-23, 07:11   #6
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

33368 Posts

How about a concrete example? Take M to be the closed unit disc in the complex plane. Then its boundary is the unit circle. Taking U = {re^it: r>1/2}, we get a diffeomorphism of U with S^1 x [0,1) via re^it |-> (e^it, 2(1-r)).

The problem with that is it is too specific to the example and doesn't really shed light on the general case. So... Here's another construction that I think captures the difficulty of the general case better:

Let E = {e^it + (-1)s: -pi/3 < t < pi/3, 0 <= s < 1}, N = iE, W = -E, S = -iE. Clearly, E is diffeomorphic to {e^it: -pi/3 < t < pi/3} x [0, 1) and similarly for the other three; and the four together cover S^1. But is it possible to stitch the four diffeomorphisms together to get a single diffeomorphism of E U N U W U S with S^1 x [0,1)?
Old 2013-05-23, 10:13   #7
literka

Mar 2010

2×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Looks good to me.

I don't understand the hint either.

Compact sets have finite covers by open sets

If you don't understand something, then ask for explanation.
Any subset of a topological space has finite cover by open sets ( for example whole space ), not only compact subsets. We all know what you meant and all know that you used irony again writing something different than it should be.
So, 3 worthless sentences in 2 short posts.
literka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 22:56   #8
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

9,791 Posts

Quote:
By definition of the boundary of a manifold, every point on the boundary has an open neighborhood that is diffeomorphic to R^{n-1} x [0,infinity), which of course I can shrink to R^{n-1} x [0,1).
(Thinking aloud here) Can you do said shrinking via a mapping which satisfies the same restrictions as the theta_i "basis functions" from the partition of unity theorem?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 08:35   #9
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

2×3×293 Posts

The professor said this was an "easy" result... Guess I should feel good about not being the only one who doesn't see it right away...
Old 2013-05-25, 09:30   #10
literka

Mar 2010

A616 Posts

Quote:
The professor said this was an "easy" result... Guess I should feel good about not being the only one who doesn't see it right away...

Don't jump into this conclusion so fast. Solution looks to be rather technical, but it seems to me that to write it with full details requires some work and not many people here are interested in manifolds. For sure the fact that nobody answered shouldn't make you feel good.
If this is a step for something more serious, then I wish you good luck.
literka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 03:28   #11
davar55

May 2004
New York City

2·2,099 Posts

Perhaps partition [0,1) { measure of unity } finitely,
then take union of inverses of sets in partition.
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote