mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

80416 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
We are not sure, unless they have already decoded our languages, either from having visited beforehand or having decoded our radiated communications.

What is fairly clear is that Egyptian hieroglyphics (sic) is most unlikely to be used.

For a start, the language is called Egyptian and hieroglyphs (note spelling) were one of several ways of writing the Egyptian language throughout its more than three thousand year history. They were used for Old Egyptian in 3000BC, through its hey day of Middle Egyptian 1500 years later right up until the Coptic phase of the language in the first few centuries AD. Cursive hieroglyphic (note, no "s" at the end) was invented at the same time or possibly slightly later and heiratic seems to have been used all along too. Demotic is a later development of the script. Demotic gave a few characters to the Coptic alphabet which is otherwise much the same as the Greek script and was used to write the latest form of the language. For that matter, it still is, as Coptic is still used in the Egyptian Christian church in much the same way that Latin is used in the Roman church.

Sanskrit is about as likely, IMO, to be used as Middle Egyptian, classical Greek or Akkaddian.

A modern mass-broadcast language such as English, Spanish, Arabic, Japanese and, indeed, Chinese is much more likely to be used than any of the classical alternatives.

Paul

Thanks for the lesson in spelling and correcting my English paul! its beyond the topic of discussion.
Its the case of straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel

Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 20:03   #24
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

10,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode

Thanks for the lesson in spelling and correcting my English paul! its beyond the topic of discussion.
Its the case of straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel

Mally
Sorry, it's a hobby(horse) of mine. I'm trying to teach myself Egyptian and I over-react when I hear or see people use the word "heiroglyphics".

BTW, did you know that a Pharoah has been on the throne of Egypt for 65% of recorded history? To a good approximation, recorded history began just before 3000BC, or 5000 years ago. Intelligible records survive from both Egypt and Sumeria from about that date, with the Sumerians being slightly older. The rulers of Egypt called themselves Pharoahs from that time (at least) until the Muslim conquest in the 7th Century AD, even though the later ones were Persian, Macedonian or Roman by birth, background or culture.

Even more BTW, the word "Pharoah" shows close analogies with the modern terms "Downing Street", "the Kremlin" or "the White House" and, especially, the last of these. The Greek word "pharoah" is 'pr-wr' in Egyptian, probably pronounced "peroor", and literally means "great house". Pr is house, and wr is great or powerful; classical Egyptian, like modern Arabic and Hebrew, doesn't record the vowels very well if at all.

It's a pity I can't use any of the traditional scripts for writing the Egyptian language on this forum.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 18:47   #25
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
RepΓΊblica de California

22×31×79 Posts

Quote:
Sorry, it's a hobby(horse) of mine. I'm trying to teach myself Egyptian and I over-react when I hear or see people use the word "heiroglyphics".
You have "heiroglyphics" as your pet peeve; I have "the data is...the media is...this geological strata contains..."

I'm tempted to also cite the misuse of "graffiti" (which is plural; graffito is the singular), but the Italians are somewhat inconsistent in their use of these o/i singluar/plural combinations. I asked an Italian friend once whether a single long noodle would be a spaghetto and a single paper scrap a confetto, and he told me not to be silly.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 21:22   #26
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1013310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer
You have "heiroglyphics" as your pet peeve; I have "the data is...the media is...this geological strata contains..."

I'm tempted to also cite the misuse of "graffiti" (which is plural; graffito is the singular), but the Italians are somewhat inconsistent in their use of these o/i singluar/plural combinations. I asked an Italian friend once whether a single long noodle would be a spaghetto and a single paper scrap a confetto, and he told me not to be silly.
It is, of course, well known that a single floret of a particular brassica plant is a broccolo. For that matter, the plural of spouse is spice!

Now, shall we return to sitting on our ba doing sa, or continue discussing languages, their use and misuse?

Paul
Old 2004-06-10, 13:01   #27
Jeff Gilchrist

Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

7×167 Posts

Quote:
For that matter, the plural of spouse is spice!
I did not know that! So does that mean if I add some black and cayanne pepper to my food, I am cheating on my wife since I would technically have more than one spouse?

Jeff.
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 13:32   #28
Reboot It

Aug 2002
London, UK

7×13 Posts

No! Of course the plural of "spice" is "spices"

Once you start on this there are so many! The use of "... with you and I" instead of "... with you and me" is one bugbear for me, as is the incorrect use of much for many and vice versa. What about "different than" and the difference between "replace" and "substitute"? Then there are those that substitute "infer" for "imply", but don't get me started on punctuation which has "it's" own problems...
Reboot It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 15:59   #29
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

10,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gilchrist
I did not know that! So does that mean if I add some black and cayanne [sic] pepper to my food, I am cheating on my wife since I would technically have more than one spouse?
Of course not. What you would then have is one spouse and two spices. It's only if you have two or more wives would you have spice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gilchrist
From that, am I to conclude that you are not innocent?

Paul
Old 2004-06-10, 16:51   #30
Jeff Gilchrist

Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

7×167 Posts

Quote:
From that, am I to conclude that you are not innocent?
Ok, you got me, its true. I have been known to use more than one spice in my cooking...

But eating my spice would then make me a cannibal I guess...

Jeff
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 17:16   #31
Reboot It

Aug 2002
London, UK

7·13 Posts

And a bigamous cannibal at that!
Reboot It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 17:21   #32
Prime Monster

Aug 2002

22×5×13 Posts

I fail to see what bigamous cannibal has to do with What is the use of these large primes ?

PM
Prime Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 17:25   #33
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

3×2,917 Posts

Can the digits of large primes be used as random number strings?
Would they not also be useful for test vaules for compression techniques?

The search also keeps techies from doing other things that are more distructive.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote