mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > GMP-ECM

Old 2007-12-03, 00:23   #1
WraithX

Mar 2006

23·59 Posts
Default Question on configuring/compiling...

Hello,

I read the INSTALL file and saw where it said to run ./configure. Then, while it was configuring, I saw that it mentioned:
checking build system type... pentium3-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... pentium3-pc-cygwin
I think this is strange since I am running quad-core Xeon 5335 processors. I know when I ran ./configure for gmp-4.2.2, it recognized both of the above types as core2-pc-cygwin, which seems a little closer to the truth.

So, I then followed the next set of instructions in INSTALL where it said to egrep for the compiling options used with gmp and then use those options with the gmp-ecm configure script, like so:
./configure CC=gcc CFLAGS="-m32 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mtune=k8 -march=k8"
and during the configuration, it said this again:
checking build system type... pentium3-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... pentium3-pc-cygwin

I was wondering, will these two "types" that were found impact the performance of the binaries I create? Or will the CFLAGS that I provided override any "pentium3" compiling options that may have cropped up during the configure script? I'm pretty new at trying to compile gmp-ecm for my specific machine, and I'd really appreciate any insights or info that anyone can provide.

-David C.
WraithX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 09:38   #2
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

1001101000112 Posts

The "-m32" looks bad, it will cause you to build a 32 bit binary, i.e. it won't use the 64x64->128 bit integer multiplication. You'd have to try to get a 64 bit GMP build first. What did GMP's configure output at the beginning, i.e. build system type etc.?

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 00:15   #3
WraithX

Mar 2006

1D816 Posts

Well, unfortunately right now it's going to be -m32 because I'm running WinXP Pro 32-bit. I'm going to be ordering WinXP Pro 64-bit here shortly, and then I'll be able to run 64-bit binaries. The only problem I'm seeing is that I might have a hard time coming up with a 64-bit development environment. It looks like there is a mingw-w64 environment that I can run to do development, so hopefully that will work out well. If you know of any other 64-bit dev environments for Win64 I'd love to hear about them.

Now, when I configured gmp, it returned:
checking build system type... core2-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... core2-pc-cygwin
I don't know if this actually makes a difference or not, or if it is just a name given to the build and the "real" work is done with the flags passed around via CFLAGS?

-David C.
Old 2007-12-04, 10:40   #4
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

246710 Posts

Yeah, what binary is produced is controlled with the CFLAGS. I wonder what ASM version of mulredc you got (assuming you used "--enable-asm-redc"). Can you post (or PM to me) the output of your "./configure" run and the "make" run?

Alex
Old 2007-12-05, 02:55   #5
WraithX

Mar 2006

23×59 Posts

I've included (trying to include, this'll be my first time posting files) both a regular ./configure (with my CC and CFLAGS set) in output1.txt and I've included that make as output2.txt. Then I reran the ./configure with --enable-asm-redc and put that in output3.txt and then its make is in output4.txt. I hope that makes sense. I'm going to test this out to see if I get any speed/memory improvements over the regular version tonight, and it should be done by morning. Also, would you like a copy of "config.log"? Well, I'll include it just in case. Hmm, looks like I can only upload 1 file, so let me zip it all up... There, all 5 text files (with unix line endings) are in the included zip.

-David C.
Attached Files
File Type: zip output.zip (12.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 2007-12-05, 15:24   #6
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

With --enable-asm-redc, configure linked to the Pentium 4 assembler files, due to the cpu being misidentified as Pentium 3. Try adding "--host=athlon-pc-cygwin" to the ./configure command line and see if the "linking" messages now list the "./athlon/mulredc1.asm" etc. files.

Alex