Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2011-02-08, 06:44   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

28·32 Posts
Default configuring Prime95 to use multiple proxies?

One of my computers needs to go through a proxy in order to connect to the Internet. However, the proxy sometimes changes. Is it possible to configure Prime95 to use more than one proxy? That is, can I make Prime95 try a second proxy if the default one doesn't work? If so, how should I go about doing this?

Thanks.
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 15:34   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

931410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
One of my computers needs to go through a proxy in order to connect to the Internet. However, the proxy sometimes changes. Is it possible to configure Prime95 to use more than one proxy? That is, can I make Prime95 try a second proxy if the default one doesn't work? If so, how should I go about doing this?
To the best of my knowledge (and I proxy all my clients personally) there is no way to have the GIMPS clients try more than one proxy themselves.

However, you can implement this yourself using DNS.

Three questions which are followed by the related solution:

1.Q. Does the proxy "sometimes change" because it's on a dynamic IP that changes everyone once in a while?

1.S. Use a low "time-to-live" on an A Record of a domain you control, or a service like DynDNS' "Dynamic DNS Free". For example, "mprime.yourdomain.com". Many modems know how to talk to DynDNS to automatically update the record when the device's IP changes. Otherwise there are clients for machines behind the device to do this job.

2.Q. Or is you're main proxy unstable, and you bring up a secondary during such periods?

2.S: Nearly the same solution for 1. Simply point the A record of the domain to the temporary server.

3.Q. Do you actually want to have more than one proxy active at all times?

3.S. Not a perfect solution, but it is cheap... Have more than one A (and/or CNAME in the case where one or more are using the solutions for 1 or 2 above)) Records for your proxy domain (mprime.yourdomain.com for this discussion).

3.S.1. This should result in each proxy server being used 1/n of the time. (n being defined as the number of proxies / domain Records for mprime.yourdomain.com.)

3.S.1.1. Caveat: In the case of an outage by one of the proxies, this knowledge is not automaticly known by the DNS system, and thus not the clients. Unless the A and CNAME records are updated on the domain, each machine will try to communicate to the non-functional proxy 1/n of the time.

I hope this helps.

(Note that actually implementing any of the above is actually easier than it sounds.)

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2011-02-08 at 15:40 Reason: Slight wordsmithing for greater clarity.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote