Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts
Default Counting on Fingers

I didn't want to derail a thread in the soapbox, so I'm starting a new one here

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
There's a story behind my choice of icon. I learned to count in binary on my fingers many years ago and can tally things at a reasonable speed --- at least 2Hz. I can also add and subtract in binary, though much more slowly.

Some years ago I was demonstrating this skill to Phil Carmody. He sent me the animated GIF a while later. He's recently sent me a much more realistic counting hand, but I fear it is rather too big for use as an icon.

Paul
I remember discovering how to count on binary, but I never really used it to much effect, and since I learned sign language, I can count much much further than 32 on one hand. Maybe you should learn ASL numbers, Paul :)

(ponders creating an ASL counting avatar)
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 20:40   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

34·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisT
I didn't want to derail a thread in the soapbox, so I'm starting a new one here

I remember discovering how to count on binary, but I never really used it to much effect, and since I learned sign language, I can count much much further than 32 on one hand. Maybe you should learn ASL numbers, Paul :)

(ponders creating an ASL counting avatar)
I've often thought of learning ASL or BSL. The main disincentive is that I've no-one to speak it with.

Interestingly enough, ASL and BSL are apparently quite different languages. They differ much more from each other than do English and American.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 20:46   #3
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
I've often thought of learning ASL or BSL. The main disincentive is that I've no-one to speak it with.

Interestingly enough, ASL and BSL are apparently quite different languages. They differ much more from each other than do English and American.

Paul
Yes, extremely different. ASL shares around 50-70% (depends on who you ask) of it's vocabulary with French Sign Language

BSL's fingerspelling is totally different, BSL uses two hands where ASL uses one hand

I would say that BSL and ASL differ more than English and German. Probably more along the lines of German and Italian.
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 22:22   #4
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

22×577 Posts

*quick glance at Xilman's avatar*
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote