mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2005-12-11, 06:40   #1
Citrix

Jun 2003

32×52×7 Posts
Default Need a paper!

I am looking for the paper that describes the baby step, giant step algorithm for discrete log. Does anyone have a citation of the the paper. I cannot find the exact citation. OR if some one could tell me how to find it.

Thank you,
Citrix
Citrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 06:52   #2
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

C&R explain BSGS in 5.3, but there's no reference to a paper for BSGS for DL I can see. They cite
D. Shanks. Class numbers, a theory of factorization, and genera. Proc Sympos. Pure Math, vol. 20
where the method is described for factorization.

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 19:05   #3
Citrix

Jun 2003

110001001112 Posts

Thanks Alex!
Old 2005-12-13, 18:57   #4
Greenbank

Jul 2005

2·193 Posts

http://scholar.google.com/ can be useful. Sometimes it even provides access to the papers directly.

I have access to some journals and papers through the OU (currently doing a part-time degree) although I'm not sure if I am allowed to distribute the papers that I download. Will look into that. I'll also see if I can get access through the University where I studied my first degree.

I found the above reference for the original Shanks paper (took a bit of time to get the right search terms which I have promptly forgotten) but the OU Library doesn't provide access to that specific journal.
Greenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-13, 21:56   #5
Ken_g6

Jan 2005
Caught in a sieve

2·197 Posts

It's not a paper, but over on the Seventeen or Bust site, this thread has a very good description of that and similar maths involved in sieving by N.
Ken_g6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-14, 12:58   #6
Greenbank

Jul 2005

38610 Posts

Thanks for the reminder, I need to clean that up and put it on the wiki...
Greenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-14, 20:41   #7
Citrix

Jun 2003

32·52·7 Posts

My library has a hard copy of the journal, so I need to go there and get a copy. In reality I need the citation for a paper I am trying to write. I have never written a paper before, so I am not sure on how to write it.

Basically a new algorithm to solve discrete log problems in some special cases.(Algorithm is not in P, sorry to get your hopes up). Since the algorithm is not related to any methods that exists in journals so far, I am not sure if I should cite anything or not?

How do you choose what to cite?

Citrix

Last fiddled with by Citrix on 2005-12-14 at 20:44
Old 2005-12-14, 21:25   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

19·547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrix
My library has a hard copy of the journal, so I need to go there and get a copy. In reality I need the citation for a paper I am trying to write. I have never written a paper before, so I am not sure on how to write it.

Basically a new algorithm to solve discrete log problems in some special cases.(Algorithm is not in P, sorry to get your hopes up). Since the algorithm is not related to any methods that exists in journals so far, I am not sure if I should cite anything or not?

How do you choose what to cite?

Citrix
General advice I, and probably countless others, have found useful is the following. It is largely subject independent, so is as applicable to papers in mathematics as it is to, say, meterorology or music.

First, write down your ideas in reasonably clear language. Use subject-dependent jargon/equations/etc where it is both appropriate and you know what it means. Bullshitting will be found out immediately, so don't even try. If you know of relevant references, cite them. Do not include irrelevant references! Background reading of texts in the same general area will usually point you to papers of direct relevance or to references in their citations that are relevant. It should also be obvious that using search engines, some of which are specific to your field of study, is a productive way of discovering relevant references.

Second, try to find someone who will discuss your proto-paper with you. Don't be afraid to ask, politely, but don't be either surprised or aggrieved if they turn you down. Most people really are busy with other things.

Third: pay attention to what the colleague(s) say. If they find what they think are flaws, they are probably correct, but not invariably so. Examine any reported criticisms dispassionately and very carefully. Only after concentrated thought and analysis is it wise to conclude that your colleague has misunderstood your correct argument. If after that you're still convinced that you are right, address the criticisms with further clear and logical arguments.

Only after going through these three stages would I recommend that you start to massage your message into the stylised form which the targeted publications appear to require. Needless to say, you should read a number of papers from the publications in question --- whether or not the subject matter is particularly relevant to you --- to get a feel for what's customary.

Good luck. The first paper is almost always the hardest to write.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-14, 23:34   #9
Citrix

Jun 2003

32×52×7 Posts

Paul,

Thank you for your reply. I do not know any mathematicians, so I guess people on this forum will have to read my paper first.

Any way, what does relevant mean? When will a citation be relevant?

Suppose you discover a new method to factor numbers, do you have to provide a history of the subject, explain all the algorithms etc? Even if your algorithm has nothing to do with any of the other algorithms other than that they have the same purpose of factoring numbers?

Citrix
Old 2005-12-15, 02:26   #10
John Renze

Nov 2005

24×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrix
I do not know any mathematicians, so I guess people on this forum will have to read my paper first.
Citrix
This isn't a compromise at all. There are plenty of people on this forum who are competent to discuss and evaluate your work.

I would second Paul's suggestion to get an informal writeup of your results on paper and share it with people. Mathematical papers do not come off the pen in the polished form in which they are printed. Until you have been through the process, you probably don't realize how much of a paper's life cycle is spent as informal notes and discussions.

John
John Renze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-15, 05:14   #11
Citrix

Jun 2003

62716 Posts

I will get some thing ready over the winter break.
Though there is not much to discuss, because the algorithm works, I implemented and tested it. The presentation of the paper, is I would like to focus on, since most of my math knowledge is from the internet.

Citrix