mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies > Astronomy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-20, 16:05   #1
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default Planet closing in causing my family's bad luck ?

This week supposedly Uranus and Jupiter come close to us . I first noticed the effect today when my total to pay at subway was $6.66 (the devil ?). I got told i was "cured" today (about 5% that i'll relapse per annum). but within minutes of getting home we got a call about my diabetic uncle having a heart attack in the last little while. I think the planets have something to do with it. anyone else up for talk ? so far this year I have 2 relatives fighting cancers and a uncle who had a heart attack and another that nearly lost his hand to glass. and my family seems to have everything (passed from the royal lines ?). anyone anyone else's thoughts.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 16:10   #2
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

22×7×281 Posts
Default

Quote:
anyone anyone else's thoughts.
Be extra careful?
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 16:20   #3
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

10111001100102 Posts
Talking

"Now you may find it inconceivable or at the very least a bit unlikely that the relative position of the planets and the stars could have a special deep significance or meaning that exclusively applies to only you"

-Weird Al
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 18:28   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22EB16 Posts
Default

The car parked out at the kerb has more influence on you than how much extra close Jupiter is. If that where the case, real scientists would have been able to correlate all sorts of things like this before.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 22:08   #5
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

2×2,969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
The car parked out at the kerb has more influence on you than how much extra close Jupiter is. If that where the case, real scientists would have been able to correlate all sorts of things like this before.
Interestingly, unless I miscalculate, that's wrong!

I get 15 µN to 32 µN for Jupiter, depending on the relative position of Earth. For a 1000 kg car just 1 meter away, I get 6.7 µN. (For the sake of round numbers I used a 100 kg man, but clearly this doesn't change the result.)
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 22:35   #6
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Interestingly, unless I miscalculate, that's wrong!

I get 15 µN to 32 µN for Jupiter, depending on the relative position of Earth. For a 1000 kg car just 1 meter away, I get 6.7 µN. (For the sake of round numbers I used a 100 kg man, but clearly this doesn't change the result.)
he didn't take the fact I'm not urban into account.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 22:47   #7
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

194A16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Interestingly, unless I miscalculate, that's wrong!

I get 15 µN to 32 µN for Jupiter, depending on the relative position of Earth. For a 1000 kg car just 1 meter away, I get 6.7 µN. (For the sake of round numbers I used a 100 kg man, but clearly this doesn't change the result.)
I would venture to suggest that the tidal effect of the car would be greater though.... not to mention the fact that Jupiter
is accelerating the earth at the same rate as it is me!

What was that song which mentioned Jupiter colliding with Mars?

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2010-09-20 at 23:11
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 23:02   #8
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

2·2,969 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
I would venture to suggest that the tidal effect of the car would be greater though
Yes, surely. (I didn't calculate it, but I'd expect ~10 orders of magnitude difference.)
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 23:15   #9
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Yes, surely. (I didn't calculate it, but I'd expect ~10 orders of magnitude difference.)
93 million miles/1yard ~10^11 and 11~10 so you are about right

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2010-09-20 at 23:30
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 23:51   #10
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
he didn't take the fact I'm not urban into account.
How many fingers do you have?
I was born in a rural area myself

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 00:12   #11
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

7·292 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
This week supposedly Uranus and Jupiter come close to us . I first noticed the effect today when my total to pay at subway was $6.66 (the devil ?). I got told i was "cured" today (about 5% that i'll relapse per annum). but within minutes of getting home we got a call about my diabetic uncle having a heart attack in the last little while. I think the planets have something to do with it. anyone else up for talk ? so far this year I have 2 relatives fighting cancers and a uncle who had a heart attack and another that nearly lost his hand to glass. and my family seems to have everything (passed from the royal lines ?). anyone anyone else's thoughts.
Yep, let's blame Jupiter. That way we won't have to face the fact that life just sucks. It MUST be Jupiter's fault, damn stupid planet, should be banned.

Oh wait, what about all the comets and asteroids? Without Jupiter we would likely be dead.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My luck vasyannyasha Factoring 7 2018-01-13 18:28
Three matching tests not closing exponent? Dubslow PrimeNet 8 2012-04-27 18:19
prime64 causing severe unresponsiveness Freightyard Software 14 2011-11-11 00:22
Blend test causing pc to become non-responsive... enyceexdanny Information & Answers 4 2008-01-17 18:02
Closing Older Threads to Thwart Spammers Prime Monster Forum Feedback 0 2004-10-24 23:47

All times are UTC. The time now is 20:50.

Thu Dec 3 20:50:55 UTC 2020 up 17:02, 1 user, load averages: 2.13, 2.23, 1.99

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.