mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2017-12-23, 10:51   #1
patrik

"Patrik Johansson"
Aug 2002
Uppsala, Sweden

23·53 Posts
Default What IP address are my computers reporting from?

Is there someone in the forum that has access to the server log files, and can see what IP address my computers are connecting from?

I'm away from home and want to ssh into one of them (to make an update of the error rate plot), but the IP address seems to have changed since last time I was away from home. I have a dynamic IP address, but I often can keep the same address for a year or more.

If you can help me, please send me a PM with the address. My primenet user name is the same as my forum name.

Patrik
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 15:56   #2
patrik

"Patrik Johansson"
Aug 2002
Uppsala, Sweden

6508 Posts

I just found it in another system I have access to.

As I remembered what time I last connected to that system (from home), and I have administrator access to that system, I could look it up in a log file. (And I have just successfully connected to my computer, to verify that the IP address hadn't changed again.)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 00:02   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11100001110012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I just found it in another system I have access to.
Good. I was not looking forward to digging through Windows logfiles.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 17:22   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

937510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Good. I was not looking forward to digging through Windows logfiles.
This might be an opportunity for value-adding...

Perhaps under the CPU report, include the IP the machine last used to communicate (visible only to the account owner). The DB almost certainly captures this information. Or, if it doesn't, it would be trivial to add.

I once helped a client recover a stolen computer because it kept checking into the proxy (the thief didn't wipe the OS, so the Prime95 client kept communicating every 24 hours or so).
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-26, 20:04   #5
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
This might be an opportunity for value-adding...

Perhaps under the CPU report, include the IP the machine last used to communicate (visible only to the account owner). The DB almost certainly captures this information. Or, if it doesn't, it would be trivial to add.

I once helped a client recover a stolen computer because it kept checking into the proxy (the thief didn't wipe the OS, so the Prime95 client kept communicating every 24 hours or so).
The primenet web interface/database itself doesn't capture or store IP addresses. The web server log files will of course have that info but trying to correlate activity from a particular user to their entries in the log file takes time and isn't fun. In cases of abuse of service or something like that it's worthwhile so we can block activity from a certain IP, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I use a free dynamic DNS service (DuckDNS) and have my home router configured to update it daily. Like the original post, I typically keep the same dynamic IP for a year or longer, but the times it has changed, having that update automatically is great.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-26, 22:52   #6
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

32×132 Posts

Time to migrate to IPv6 ...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-27, 02:41   #7
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3·55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
The primenet web interface/database itself doesn't capture or store IP addresses.
Entirely up to you et al, of course. But it is almost free to capture the IP address which reserves a candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
I use a free dynamic DNS service (DuckDNS) and have my home router configured to update it daily. Like the original post, I typically keep the same dynamic IP for a year or longer, but the times it has changed, having that update automatically is great.
You are lucky.

Here in Bimshire our IPs change at least once a week. And we don't get the rights to connect into the IP assigned; they are outgoing only.

It is only because I wrote some scripts, and run dedicated servers which have static IPs which maintain reverse SSH tunnels, that I am amble to continue to connect to some machines.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-27, 10:05   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

133778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
And we don't get the rights to connect into the IP assigned; they are outgoing only.
Keeping the 'net neutral would fix that I guess. But different countries have different policies of course.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote