mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2005-07-24, 12:14   #1
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22×97 Posts
Default Verify Accuracy of Test

My first exponent (M24748873) finished testing earlier this morning; it is not prime. I have long suspected that this is a double-check. Is there any way I can confirm that my result agrees with the first test?
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-24, 12:42   #2
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

24×173 Posts

Why do you suspect this a doublecheck when current doublechecks being handed out are much smaller at 14M?
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-24, 12:45   #3
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

33368 Posts

If it shows up on a certain file (which you can find near the bottom of the page at www.mersenne.org/status.htm). However, I think they changed the file into an encoded computer language a few months ago (probably to save space). You need to download this program to change it into human-readable form; and last time I tried, that program didn't work.
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-24, 12:59   #4
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22×97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo
Why do you suspect this a doublecheck when current doublechecks being handed out are much smaller at 14M?
In a computer shop near me they have a poster with the number that German doctor found earlier this year. I haven't actually done the maths, but my exponent just didn't "seem" that big. My next exponent is also smaller than the first, so based on the general assumption that as the project progresses exponents will go up rather than down I just assumed I was doing double-checks. Maybe not. It's not an issue with me. I was just interested to know whether my box is returning accurate results.
Old 2005-07-24, 14:39   #5
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

41·199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers
My first exponent (M24748873) finished testing earlier this morning; it is not prime. I have long suspected that this is a double-check.
This was a first-time test
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-24, 17:02   #6
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

24×173 Posts

George has already alswered your query and jinydu mentioned the database page. You may also wish to look at http://mersenne.org/primenet/ to see where the current first-timers and doublechecks are. People don't always finish their assignments so number are often given out of order.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2005-07-24 at 17:13
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-29, 15:07   #7
patrik

"Patrik Johansson"
Aug 2002
Uppsala, Sweden

52·17 Posts

I regularly download the status files, and I searched old copies I have for this exponent. It seems like it was first assigned to S241043 in Sept 2004 but later it expired and was reassigned to "." in Dec 2004. After that it was assigned to Lewin in March 2005 and finally to S336511 (you?) in June 2005. I.e. all except the last one didn't report any progress in two months.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-31, 07:25   #8
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22×97 Posts

I remember reading somewhere that the average number of completed exponents is as low as 1.6 – or thereabouts – which should have told me that a LOT of people don’t complete even one assignment. Must make it real hard for the guys doing the stats to tell where we really are, and leave an awful lot of holes that need going back and filling in. Thanks everyone.
I’m now 20% through my second exponent, so that makes me less than average – nothing’s changed then!
Old 2005-07-31, 08:16   #9
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

2×3×293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers
I remember reading somewhere that the average number of completed exponents is as low as 1.6 – or thereabouts – which should have told me that a LOT of people don’t complete even one assignment. Must make it real hard for the guys doing the stats to tell where we really are, and leave an awful lot of holes that need going back and filling in. Thanks everyone.
I’m now 20% through my second exponent, so that makes me less than average – nothing’s changed then!
Patience young one

If you go to http://mersenne.org/ips/topproducers.shtml (and you'll have to wait a long time for the page to load), you'll see that tens of thousands of user accounts talked with the server to start an account and get their first exponent, and were then never heard from again. Of course, remember that that page counts registered user accounts, not people (which is not possible to count, as far as I know). Some of those accounts are teams, which could potentially have anywhere from two to hundreds of people.

You've already completed one exponent. That's infinitely many more than what thousands have achieved.

Also remember: The more computers you have running Prime95, the faster you will rise through the rankings (and yes, given your current ranking, you will rise, unless your computer is really slow).
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote