mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2015-11-08, 20:53   #1
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2×467 Posts
Default "First-time assignments"

I have a laptop with an i7-3630QM processor set up to do "first-time assignments".

Up until recently, this meant that it was doing first-time LL tests exclusively, as I'd intended for it. But in the past few weeks, the laptop has started to do DCs in the 34xxxxxx range even though I haven't touched the settings. I have four workers going and two of them are doing this now.

Has there been a change in the PrimeNet assignment rules (or anywhere else) to account for this change?

Thanks for any info on this!
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-08, 22:21   #2
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

22·439 Posts

I think, recently it was decided that all computers having first time LL work would get a few DC now and then to test the computer for reliability. You might find this in a thread. I do not remember if it is in one of the threads about double-checks or in the new assignment rules thread.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-08, 22:31   #3
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
I think, recently it was decided that all computers having first time LL work would get a few DC now and then to test the computer for reliability. You might find this in a thread. I do not remember if it is in one of the threads about double-checks or in the new assignment rules thread.

Jacob
I remember George saying recently that he had upped the DC percentage from 10% to 20%, but I thought this was in regard to What Makes Sense. I tried to track the comment down in several threads, but did not find it.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-08, 23:27   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

235048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I remember George saying recently that he had upped the DC percentage from 10% to 20%, but I thought this was in regard to What Makes Sense. I tried to track the comment down in several threads, but did not find it.
That was in the Strategic Double Checks threat.

It makes sense. Never trust the sanity of anyone or anything.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-08, 23:42   #5
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2·467 Posts

Thanks, guys.

I just double-checked (so to speak) and the laptop is indeed set to first-time tests, rather than to "what makes the most sense." Maybe something, somewhere, is overriding that setting?

Rodrigo
Old 2015-11-09, 00:00   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

1005210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I just double-checked (so to speak) and the laptop is indeed set to first-time tests, rather than to "what makes the most sense." Maybe something, somewhere, is overriding that setting?
OK, I can't speak to this authoritatively, but IMO doing LL tests on a laptop is a really stupid idea.

Constrained thermodynamics and power systems on almost all laptops.

Where does this help anywhere unless you wish to crash and burn?

That's a serious question.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 02:02   #7
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

2×449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
OK, I can't speak to this authoritatively, but IMO doing LL tests on a laptop is a really stupid idea.

I have two laptops that have been running Prime95 around the clock for almost three years. A Sandy and an Ivy. The Ivy I use only three of the four cores to keep the temperature safe. They are sitting on fan bases. Half first-time tests and half double checks. I only look at them every few days. The lids are partially closed to keep the screens dark.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 04:12   #8
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

63658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Thanks, guys.

Rodrigo
There was a weird little thing where accounts created after a certain date (April of 2014 I think it was) were set to get double-checks by default, although Prime95 would default to "whatever makes sense". It only did double-checks when new worker threads were created in some particular way.

We fixed that and now new worker threads will use the Prime95 default (whatever makes sense). I guess just to make sure, you should check the setting for each worker and make sure they're set to the work type you think. Change it to something else and back and let it talk to the server, just to make sure things are in sync?
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 06:42   #9
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
There was a weird little thing where accounts created after a certain date (April of 2014 I think it was) were set to get double-checks by default, although Prime95 would default to "whatever makes sense". It only did double-checks when new worker threads were created in some particular way.

We fixed that and now new worker threads will use the Prime95 default (whatever makes sense). I guess just to make sure, you should check the setting for each worker and make sure they're set to the work type you think. Change it to something else and back and let it talk to the server, just to make sure things are in sync?
All right, I changed all four workers individually to "world record sized numbers to test," then changed them each back to first-time tests and observed the notification about communicating with PrimeNet.

Guess there's nothing further to do now until new assignments come in and we see what they are.

Thanks for the idea.

Rodrigo
Old 2015-11-09, 08:10   #10
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

117218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post

I ran a laptop i7-quad (2600QM, I think) for 5 years 24/7 with 3-4 threads of LLR (the JV version of P95) and 4-5 threads of ECM or NFS sieving. The laptop did fail, but it was due to the power plug physically disconnecting from the board, rather than any heat issue. If the laptop is well-made and well-cooled (i7 laptops are more likely than most to qualify for both), I don't see why running Prime is a bad plan.

Oh- I *did* set windows to max out at 90% of max CPU power, so it was 37W instead of 54W I believe that made max speed 1.7GHz instead of 1.8, well worth the 30% power reduction. CPU-Z temp readings were usually in the low 60s; when they hit 70, I took the plastic cover off and de-dusted (twice in 5 years).

I also ran CUDA-LLR on the GPU for 12 months straight, and lots of NFS poly select/etc after I realized I'd likely burn up the card with LLR. My kill-a-watt said the power supply drew 95W from the wall with GPU running full tilt and 8 CPU threads going. Nice laptop!

Last fiddled with by VBCurtis on 2015-11-09 at 08:13 Reason: GPU
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 08:44   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

980810 Posts

OTOH, getting one "invasive DC" in 10 assignments, even when you take "first LL tests only", totally makes sense for me, to check the sanity of your hardware from time to time. I salute that initiative and have nothing against it! Saves me the trouble to do that by hand! Eventually, DC assignment should be repeated (i.e. another exponent, but again a DC) if the first "invasive DC" fails to match the residue (it can be a problem with your hardware, or the initial first-time residue was indeed bad).
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote