mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2005-09-28, 18:18   #1
tortured

23·11·13 Posts
Question Please Help Configure Torture Test

I'm confused over how to best configure the torture test. Advice would be appreciated.

I have 2 GB of RAM, and don't use a paging file at all. I'd like to test as much memory as possible, yet still be able to use the system during testing, including when memory demands from other applications are high.

What settings should I use?
Old 2005-09-28, 18:53   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

You can't have it all. If you operate without a paging file and have the torture test use (test) as much memory as possible, then there won't be memory left for other applications' high demands.

Prime95/mprime can't automatically decide to use less memory for torture testing when other applications' demands for memory increase, because it has no knowledge of what other applications are doing internally. It's not part of the operating system, where such knowledge resides.

If you want the torture test to use as much memory as possible but simultaneously enable other applications to use a lot of memory, then you'll have to use a paging file. In this case, when the other applications execute, Prime95/mprime will slow way down because of paging, so its testing can't be as "torturous" during that time.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2005-09-28 at 18:56
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-28, 20:00   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

7,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead
If you want the torture test to use as much memory as possible but simultaneously enable other applications to use a lot of memory, then you'll have to use a paging file. In this case, when the other applications execute, Prime95/mprime will slow way down because of paging, so its testing can't be as "torturous" during that time.
Unfortunately, I think the paging will cause everything to become unbearably slow, not just prime95.

The easiest answer is to run a Torture Test using lots of memory when you go to bed / leave the office. When you want to use the computer during the day stop the Torture Test and resume it with the in-place large-FFT option.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote