mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-31, 06:06   #12
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5,153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
You should know that that word is highly offensive in Flatland.

And where might Flatland be?
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 07:04   #13
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!
 
IronBits's Avatar
 
Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

21318 Posts
Default

Right next to Far Far Away of course
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 08:11   #14
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

241028 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
You should know that that word is highly offensive in Flatland.


HA HA! He said "that that". What a half-wit!

I think we should ban people that repeat words for no no reason.

But then again, what good with that do? Others woud com along and start leaving leters out of sentences.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 08:13   #15
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
HA HA! He said "that that". What a half-wit!

I think we should ban people that repeat words for no no reason.

But then again, what good with that do? Others woud com along and start leaving leters out of sentences.
LOL--actually, in this particular case the repetition of "that" is completely grammatically correct.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 08:23   #16
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

581810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
LOL--actually, in this particular case the repetition of "that" is completely grammatically correct.
although that is true i am not certain that a single "that" wouldn't have been grammatically correct
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 08:24   #17
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5,153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
You guys are frick and frack.
Up to you to figure out which witch is which tho
Or whether the weather will be good today or whether it will be good two days from now too.

OK, I have a challenge for everyone:

Construct a sentence 30 letters or longer that has a ridiculous # occurrences of the same letter in it. We can divide it up in two categories:

(1) Many occurrences of a vowel (excluding y).
(2) Many occurrences of a consonant (including y).

For consonants, any sentence with 30% of the same letter gets a bronze medal. 35% a silver medal. 40% a gold medal. Add 5% to each of those for vowels.

The sentences must be English, make grammatical sense, not be fragments, and not include proper names. Slang words are allowed but if questionable will be put up for others to review.


Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 08:30   #18
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5,153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
LOL--actually, in this particular case the repetition of "that" is completely grammatically correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
although that is true i am not certain that a single "that" wouldn't have been grammatically correct
Of course I knew that that was grammatically correct. But he could have said:
You should know that the word you used is offensive in Flatland.

I think Henry is also right. Wouldn't a single use of the word "that" in that context have been correct IF the word "know" is highly emphasized as in:

"You should KNOW that word is highly offensive in Flatland."

I think that that makes some sense, don't don't you?
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 12:39   #19
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

3·3,529 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Or whether the weather will be good today or whether it will be good two days from now too.

OK, I have a challenge for everyone:

Construct a sentence 30 letters or longer that has a ridiculous # occurrences of the same letter in it. We can divide it up in two categories:

(1) Many occurrences of a vowel (excluding y).
(2) Many occurrences of a consonant (including y).

For consonants, any sentence with 30% of the same letter gets a bronze medal. 35% a silver medal. 40% a gold medal. Add 5% to each of those for vowels.

The sentences must be English, make grammatical sense, not be fragments, and not include proper names. Slang words are allowed but if questionable will be put up for others to review.


Gary
Sis hisses as she susses his less sassy sister's sissy tassles.

I make that 63 characters, 51 letters and 26 of a single consonant.

What does >50% score me?

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 17:30   #20
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Sis hisses as she susses his less sassy sister's sissy tassles.

I make that 63 characters, 51 letters and 26 of a single consonant.

What does >50% score me?

Paul
Diamond medal?
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 05:23   #21
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·5,153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Sis hisses as she susses his less sassy sister's sissy tassles.

I make that 63 characters, 51 letters and 26 of a single consonant.

What does >50% score me?

Paul

OMG. Oustanding!

It scores you a diamond and a gold metal!

Keep 'em coming everyone. You don't have to match Paul here, which would be quite a challenge, especially for a consonant.


I'll create a post that has all of the top scores here and I'll arrange it by letter. Obviously j, q, x, & z will be a bit harder than s & t. lol


Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 05:27   #22
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

284216 Posts
Default

Top % use of a single letter in a >= 30-letter English sentence:

Overall:
Code:
letter  % use  sentence
  e     53.3   "Eerie eels see eerie green bee's eyes."
  s     51.0   "Sis hisses as she susses his less sassy sister's sissy tassles."
  o     45.5   "Good cooks cook good food for good rooks."
  a     34.4   "Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?"
By letter:
Code:
letter  % use  sentence
  a     34.4   "Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?"
  e     53.3   "Eerie eels see eerie green bee's eyes."
  o     45.5   "Good cooks cook good food for good rooks."
  s     51.0   "Sis hisses as she susses his less sassy sister's sissy tassles."

We'll show the top 3 for each letter and the top 10 overall. New rule: A submission for a specific letter cannot contain over half of the same words as a prior submission UNLESS it has a higher percentage of use. Otherwise, I could just change "hisses" to "hissed" (and "susses" to "sussed" to make it grammatically correct) in the above submission and have an excellent 2nd place submission for 's'.


Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-01-02 at 13:40 Reason: add more sentences
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Funny looking number IeatPyhons Miscellaneous Math 4 2016-09-19 21:39
Funny reservations Dubslow PrimeNet 16 2016-02-10 06:43
Gripes (and better) about "Dark Side of the Moon" davieddy Lounge 19 2010-12-11 22:00
To my friends davieddy Lounge 0 2010-01-21 23:25
Funny Typos clowns789 Lounge 9 2003-08-24 04:24

All times are UTC. The time now is 16:52.

Sat Feb 27 16:52:17 UTC 2021 up 86 days, 13:03, 0 users, load averages: 1.92, 2.13, 2.00

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.