Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Old 2005-11-29, 09:15   #1
Wynand

Nov 2005

2 Posts
Default Trisecting an angle

I believe that it is impossible to trisect an acute angle, using only a
straight edge and a compass.
However i can demonstrate how to do it, it is quite simple in fact.
I submitted the idea to some math sites, but they don't seem
to believe it.
Anybody interested ? (its not just a joke or crackpot idea)
Wynand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-29, 10:07   #2
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

9B216 Posts

Would this help?
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-03, 17:12   #3
David John Hill Jr

Jun 2003
Pa.,U.S.A.

19610 Posts
Default Also on trisection.

I just noticed your thread.
I too have a method of trisection for compass' and unmarked ruler(straight-edge). A proof is more dependent , and difficult in my thinking '
of adding three angles , as for instance in 90 degrees, as ONTO,for all angles in that region, and forming a homeomorphism with the trisection.
I have also created an analog trisection tool, which can be used to circumvent the above in a Euclidean type proof, I believe.
The method of trisection does not appear , whatsoever in the suggested reading.
JH
David John Hill Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-03, 17:28   #4
R.D. Silverman

"Bob Silverman"
Nov 2003
North of Boston

748210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David John Hill Jr
I just noticed your thread.
I too have a method of trisection for compass' and unmarked ruler(straight-edge). A proof is more dependent , and difficult in my thinking '
of adding three angles , as for instance in 90 degrees, as ONTO,for all angles in that region, and forming a homeomorphism with the trisection.
I have also created an analog trisection tool, which can be used to circumvent the above in a Euclidean type proof, I believe.
The method of trisection does not appear , whatsoever in the suggested reading.
JH
Take a few too many quaaludes?
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-03, 20:31   #5
David John Hill Jr

Jun 2003
Pa.,U.S.A.

22×72 Posts
Default To last reply

Dont understand question just posted.
Drug cop out should be banned from this forum.
Old 2006-08-04, 00:16   #6
brunoparga

Feb 2006
Brasília, Brazil

21310 Posts

Yeah, you're so right. Serious people with a solid mathematical knowledge demonstrated continuously by sound, complete and precise comments and answers to questions should actually be *banned*, and unrecognised geniuses like yourself, mr. Hill, should be the *only* ones allowed here. This should be the Unrecognised Ahead-of-his-time Genius Worldwide Forum.
brunoparga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-04, 08:29   #7
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

246710 Posts

> This should be the Unrecognised Ahead-of-his-time Genius Worldwide Forum.

Yeah, but we call it "Miscellaneous Math Threads."

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-04, 12:00   #8
R.D. Silverman

"Bob Silverman"
Nov 2003
North of Boston

2·3·29·43 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by David John Hill Jr
Dont understand question just posted.
Your post was not mathematics.
It was not even mathematical gibberish.
It was not even meaningful prose in any sense.
It was pseudo-babble. It appeared as if you randomly selected
a few verbs, surrounded them with nouns whose meaning you
clearly did not understand, and tried to present the result as
mathematics.

It appeared to have been written by someone spaced out on drugs.

Does this make my question clear???
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-04, 13:25   #9
grandpascorpion

Jan 2005
Transdniestr

503 Posts

Mr. Hill is a bot, methinks.
grandpascorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-07, 18:05   #10
David John Hill Jr

Jun 2003
Pa.,U.S.A.

22·72 Posts
Default Is anyone interested? Start of thread

This is the question and person I am responding to, at the outset of the thread.If others might have the patience for a response,even if till November, it would be appreciated.

In my defence,elsewise:

As far as Dr Silverman's comments are concerned, I sympathize-my Seminar Teacher at my Alma Mater, to whom I originally sent a copy of my original submission
to this forum, refused to read past the first few lines because of vagueness
at the outset.(2002)
As far as drugs , my dad on his death bed advised me to stay away from illegal drugs. I have , except in unavoidable environmental impositions, similar to second hand smoke. I resent in totum the imposers.What comes around , goes around,and in that I don't even want exposure.There were days I woke up not able to focus on the sun , and what was coming through the walls had obviously done its harm.
As far as having toleration and speed on a computer key board or plasma screen, I don't. I have to watch the key board to type, and by the time I
often look up , the screen is Tim-buck too. And there is more,in that often by the time I have waited for the computer to act, and stared at the screen, my personal body is going into in insulin shock, my eye implants are not able to focus , and quickness on the computer is the last thing I need to respond to.
As far as Gerunds and Gerundives, too much , sorry. When hail bop came around, bonoculars saw more of an image than the haze through a powerful telescope. On 4 space, I have researched, made drawings, determined pertinent parameters for years, on paper ,all of it. The illusion that some things cannot be determined, without illusive drugs, is TOTALLY false.
As far as 'genius',false. When I lived in a 220 volt environment my IQ was average. After re exposure to 110 ,my IQ jumped 17 points, but at least 30 points short of any reference to a genius IQ.
Meanwhile, I have been dabbling in the trisection problem for at least 12 years,more or less peaking in 1999, and would enjoy a detailed ,developing discussion, however meandering it might be. 'I'm in no hurry', 3000 is a long way off, with 4000 lingering in the background even further.
(And sarcastically , if we haven't killed ourselves off , with the likes of out of control drugs and polution)
(As far as anyone wanting copies of my sketchy work, I have a few copies-at a price, just let me know-as long as you wish to develope your own acumen therefrom , and not prey on me, as the source from aloof,your welcome to contact me-its just one man's hodge -podge of perspectives,currently, but I find the world catching up,and refining it,either with consternation or disconsternation,as I try to catch up to the world)
Old 2006-08-07, 19:47   #11
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

I have to say, trying to figure out what David is trying to tell us can be quite a fascinating exercise. "hail bop" - neat! Maybe his posting belong in the Puzzles forum rather than Math, or Miscellaneous Math.

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote