mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data

Old 2003-10-02, 19:03   #1
Complex33

Aug 2002
Texas

5·31 Posts
Default New server data functionality

I was thinking that GP2 and others might have some thoughts on information that the new server could implement/collect/record thereby giving stats hounds more fodder. One tidbit I thought might be interesting is if the client reported to the server the actual computational time spent on individual exponents along with computer info which could be used for benchmarks and spirited "mine is bigger than yours" competitions.

Last fiddled with by Complex33 on 2003-10-02 at 19:04
Complex33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-02, 22:39   #2
mephisto

Feb 2003
Norway

5610 Posts

This fits into the debate of how GIMPS can attract more users: Lots of people love to see themselves on a stat list, cfr. arcade games and suchlike. The 'mine is bigger than yours' competitive instinct is strong in the male (it said so in Nature :), and users as well as GIMPS may benefit from tapping more into it.

GIMPS may have the potential to be a kind of 'ultimate computer triathlon', attractive to anyone wanting to compare their new computers against their friends'.
It may require no more than having a new 'top N' list where newcomers can find themselves more quickly, rather than having to wait months to see results, to reach outside its current 'very patient' and 'very interested in primes' target groups.

I would suggest
- modifying the statistics display to something like the TeamPrimeRib stats: http://www.teamprimerib.com/rr1/top100.htm
- introducing more 'top N' lists: top N AMD, top N newcomers, top N last week etc.
- perhaps list top N computer stats as well as user stats, possibly split on CPU
- introducing a 'stats preview' feature, based on 'current iteration' in the primenet account - aimed particularly at new users, so they can check your progress straight away, rather than having to wait months.

While this may not attract more users in itself , it is likely to make a larger percent of those that try GIMPS stay for longer.

And of course, more stats make it more fun for the stathounds among current users as well.

Other opinions?
mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-03, 22:05   #3
nitro

Feb 2003

2×3×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by mephisto
[snip]

While this may not attract more users in itself , it is likely to make a larger percent of those that try GIMPS stay for longer.

And of course, more stats make it more fun for the stathounds among current users as well.

Other opinions?
How about the "most time saved for the project" list? As I have found 200k+ factors (not a typo) in the 60-69 million range I reckon I have "saved" the project over 4 million CPU years....

Last fiddled with by nitro on 2003-10-03 at 22:05
nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-03, 22:27   #4
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

29·167 Posts

That is a good idea, and would offer a new choice to all those who have a slow machine!

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-04, 00:05   #5
GP2

Sep 2003

13·199 Posts

Well, this isn't really a Data issue. Maybe it should move to the Server forum?

The things I'm interested in are data consistency, exponents needing re-testing, error-prone machines, and so forth. Things like team rankings, P90 years and so forth are an entirely separate issue with almost no overlap.

You're right that given human nature, an attractive, colorful and feature-packed stats page is a major factor in attracting and especially retaining users who are shopping for a project. The competitive team nature also draws people in deeper and makes them commit to the project, gets them to upgrade their hardware and so forth.

I really like Team Prime Rib's stats page, maybe they could be persuaded to expand it and make it widely available?

If I had a wishlist for new server functionality, though, it would all be internal stuff. Things like allowing clients to request only P-1 factoring, allowing clients to request only triple checks, allowing clients to request only exponents that have [or have not] had a P-1 test done already, stuff like that.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote