mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-07-10, 17:33   #419
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

585210 Posts
Default

I posted 2.0.4 over at sourcforge. It fixes an issue in the factor rate calculation and adds sgsieve for Sophie-Germain searches.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 09:42   #420
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

3·307 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I posted 2.0.4 over at sourcforge. It fixes an issue in the factor rate calculation and adds sgsieve for Sophie-Germain searches.
I didn't read up on the instruction, but as I see it, it is Sophie Germain for fixed exponent - is that correct? ... still it is not a problem, because I do well using sr2sieve - since I sieve a range of 100M n for each 32 k's. How is the timeframe of getting sr2sieve into srsieve2? ... also with the last request, no pressure, even though an 80% speedup would be very cool
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 12:44   #421
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22·7·11·19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
I didn't read up on the instruction, but as I see it, it is Sophie Germain for fixed exponent - is that correct? ... still it is not a problem, because I do well using sr2sieve - since I sieve a range of 100M n for each 32 k's. How is the timeframe of getting sr2sieve into srsieve2? ... also with the last request, no pressure, even though an 80% speedup would be very cool
Sophie-Germain primes are numbers were p and 2p-1 are prime. For this sieve p = k*2^n+1 and it sieves for a fixed n and range of k since sieving that form does not require a discrete log.

Incorporating sr2sieve into srsieve2 requires a lot of work and a lot of testing. With other things going on in my life I have been less motivated. I still want to complete it, but I don't know when I will.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 17:27   #422
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

101000111102 Posts
Default

Mark , for x times I say: thanks for your work on mtsieve, but I ask myself did you ever even try to test new sieve before you release it?
Did you make simple test?


As many times before: new sieve : sgsieve- doesnot work


sgsieve -P 10000000000 -W6 -k4 -K100000000 -n 177000


This works perfectly and it is done very fast.
But when you wish to continue...


e:\MTSIEVE\MTSIEVE204>sgsieve -P 10000000000000 -W6 -i sg.abcd
sgsieve v1.0, a program to eliminate terms for Sophie-Germain prime searches for base 2, fixed n and variable k
Fatal Error: Line 1 is not a valid ABCD line in input file sg.abcd


Sg.abcd is file created with your program in step one...
Please fix this


And this ABCD file, cannot be converted to any other format ( like output from newpgen)

You force this ABCD. Give user option, freedom to choose, what option to use.
Thanks

Last fiddled with by pepi37 on 2020-07-11 at 17:33
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 19:07   #423
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22×7×11×19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
Mark , for x times I say: thanks for your work on mtsieve, but I ask myself did you ever even try to test new sieve before you release it?
Did you make simple test?


As many times before: new sieve : sgsieve- doesnot work


sgsieve -P 10000000000 -W6 -k4 -K100000000 -n 177000


This works perfectly and it is done very fast.
But when you wish to continue...


e:\MTSIEVE\MTSIEVE204>sgsieve -P 10000000000000 -W6 -i sg.abcd
sgsieve v1.0, a program to eliminate terms for Sophie-Germain prime searches for base 2, fixed n and variable k
Fatal Error: Line 1 is not a valid ABCD line in input file sg.abcd


Sg.abcd is file created with your program in step one...
Please fix this


And this ABCD file, cannot be converted to any other format ( like output from newpgen)

You force this ABCD. Give user option, freedom to choose, what option to use.
Thanks
Sorry, but I didn't test the continue sieving option. Should be easy to fix.

That I don't support newpgen just means that I haven't taken the time to do so. If llr can support the newpgen format for SG searches, then I will add support for it. Since I support pfgw I target sieve files supported by that program.

Note that I cannot anticipate everyone's needs or even who is going to use the software I write.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 19:21   #424
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

2·5·131 Posts
Default

Since you have many output format you use in other sieves in this package why just dont copy to this sieve also. Lets say with current output from sgsieve I cannot do anything to process it in prime95. With npg output I can easy do it.
I dont think it is so hard to implement those output format
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 21:45   #425
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

585210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
Since you have many output format you use in other sieves in this package why just dont copy to this sieve also. Lets say with current output from sgsieve I cannot do anything to process it in prime95. With npg output I can easy do it.
I dont think it is so hard to implement those output format
In some cases I am trying to replicate functionality of another program that is no longer supported or if I know that I can write something faster. fermfact is a great example. In other cases I am not aware of anything equivalent to what I'm writing. And in other cases I'm taking an old program and making it giving it a speed boost. gcwsieve is a great example of that.

It is possible that you are making an assumption that all sieves share a piece of code for reading and writing their file of candidates. They do not because each program requires a different format. I lean towards ABCD for some because it is the most compact format and other formats create absolutely huge output files. Some of those programs cannot output in newpgen format as newpgen doesn't support those forms. In short I target pfgw and if llr works as well, that's great.

You might also be making the assumption that I use prime95. I have actually never run it. Both pfgw and llr use George's gwnum library. Those are the programs I predominantly use. Now if the output is not compatible with llr, then it is either "oh well" and I live with it or I change the sieving program or I ask Jean to add to llr. In the last case I would likely provide code to Jean and he would incorporate it. He has done that for me and for others.

Finally, the code is freely available to anyone to d/l and build. Many have done so, but few have assisted me in improving the software so I am pretty much a "one man band".

The alternative would be for someone to ask George or Jean to add full support of all ABCD and ABC file formats.

To put it simply, you have no right to complain. You are getting software that is fast and free to use. As for bugs, I will fix them as soon as I am made aware. Complaining that my software doesn't meet a requirement that has never been stated is utterly ridiculous.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2020-07-11 at 21:49
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 22:33   #426
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

23×3×139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
Since you have many output format you use in other sieves in this package why just dont copy to this sieve also. Lets say with current output from sgsieve I cannot do anything to process it in prime95. With npg output I can easy do it.
I dont think it is so hard to implement those output format
Since mtsieve is open source, you can have whatever headers you like. Alter and compile.

If that is impossible a simple Perl script to do the conversion is easy to write.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2020-07-11 at 22:36
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 23:04   #427
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

2·5·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Since mtsieve is open source, you can have whatever headers you like. Alter and compile.

If that is impossible a simple Perl script to do the conversion is easy to write.

1. If it true ( that I can have whatever header I like) why Mark doesnot add in all sieves few headers / option for output?
Paul, maybe you compile with your closed eyes i to you it is simplest job in the universe, but does we all know how to alter headers ,and make it to compile later?
I think that is not case here ( on this forum)


2. Perl is language that is needed to be learn as any other thing in the world. So I will decode this ABCD in excel after I make initial sieve in newpgen and sgsieve so I have some to compare with.

Mark, my deepest apologies if you find any of my word offensive. It was not and never will be intention
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 03:12   #428
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22·7·11·19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
1. If it true ( that I can have whatever header I like) why Mark doesnot add in all sieves few headers / option for output?
Paul, maybe you compile with your closed eyes i to you it is simplest job in the universe, but does we all know how to alter headers ,and make it to compile later?
I think that is not case here ( on this forum)


2. Perl is language that is needed to be learn as any other thing in the world. So I will decode this ABCD in excel after I make initial sieve in newpgen and sgsieve so I have some to compare with.

Mark, my deepest apologies if you find any of my word offensive. It was not and never will be intention
Apology accepted.

I am not perfect (and sometimes my code isn't either), but I aim to provide fast and easy to use software. The number of people and projects using my code is a testament to my efforts, especially if they have alternatives.

I will consider adding support for the newpgen format to sgsieve, but make no promises.

FYI, the ABCD format is described in a file include in the pfgw distribution. It can be a little cryptic to those who are not familiar with it, but it isn't as cryptic as the newpgen format. Whenever I see that format I have to look at the newpgen source code to make sense of it.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 08:48   #429
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

2×5×131 Posts
Default

Last night I run Newpgen with same range for SG search and your new sgsieve.
Since I don't know does your sieve include odd k I make two test and found totally different number of candidates in output ( on same sieve depth)
So decoding ABCD was unsuccessful because I have no base point to decode.
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 04:32.

Wed Aug 12 04:32:37 UTC 2020 up 26 days, 19 mins, 1 user, load averages: 2.00, 1.91, 1.96

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.