mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-06-20, 03:10   #1189
axn

Jun 2003

26×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
And encouraging trade because it would help one's economy, and a good economy would help one in a re-election campaign, so what? This is allegedly illegal or unethical now?
Doesn't it count as conflict of interest?
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 03:31   #1190
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

7,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Doesn't it count as conflict of interest?
Huh???? So FDR should try to lose WWII because if the Allies are winning it will help him get re-elected which is a conflict of interest.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 04:06   #1191
axn

Jun 2003

26·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Huh???? So FDR should try to lose WWII because if the Allies are winning it will help him get re-elected which is a conflict of interest.
Doing the thing because there is a legitimate reason, vs doing the thing because "I want to win re-election"? If FDR entered WW2 _only_ because of reelection prospects, then yes, it would be a giant conflict of interest.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-23, 15:40   #1192
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×3,313 Posts
Default Biden And His Ventriloquists Keep Out-Hawking Trump

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/06/2...hawking-trump/
Quote:
“Trump talks tough on Venezuela, but admires thugs and dictators like Nicolas Maduro,” tweeted Biden Incorporated. “As President, I will stand with the Venezuelan people and for democracy.”

“Translation: if Trump retreats from his current policy of trying to sanction and suffocate Venezuelan into submission, Biden will make sure to revive it,” journalist Aaron Maté said in response.

“To be clear, Joe Biden is now attacking Donald Trump from the right on Venezuela,” said journalist Walker Bragman.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-10, 12:39   #1193
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

64248 Posts

As found here:

To: Donald Trump, President of the United States

Cc: Mark Meadows (Chief of Staff), Kayleigh McEnany (Communications Director), Kellyanne Conway (Counselor to the President), et al

From: Jill Granat, General Counsel, Burger King (division of Restaurant Brands International)

Subject: Trademark Infringement

To whom it may concern:

It has come to our attention that numerous blatantly false statements being issued by the Administration have caused confusion regarding a valuable Burger King trademark.

We therefore respectfully request that the White House, and all executive agencies, immediately cease and desist from issuing such statements.

Failure to comply may result in our having to take further steps to protect the interests of Burger King and Restaurant Brands International.

It is Burger King, not the White House, that holds the trademark, "Home of the Whopper."

Thank you for your attention.

Respectfully,

Jill Granat,
General Counsel, Burger King and Restaurant Brands International

P.S. If you require an enumeration of said blatantly false statements, please make contact with our office. Regrettably, the digital version of the list was too large to be sent electronically, and we were unable to deliver a printed copy because White House security protocols did not allow for a semi to come onto the White House grounds.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-07-10 at 20:07 Reason: Mod note: this and following post moved from "funny link" thread in Lounge
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-10, 20:00   #1194
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11·1,039 Posts

Uh, except that whopper-telling is just about the the most popular sport in DC and its propaganda-transmitting MSM these days. To take a recent example, "Russia offered bounties to Taliban fighters to kill US soldiers in Afghanistan." Total, unmitigated, deliberate-falsehood bullshit, which alas got shredded so quickly by multiple independent bullshit-detectors that its promulgators are now busily slow-walking it back: Original story was splashed on front page, A-1 of the NYT, non-apology-apology walkback was buried on page A-19. Check out the raft of excuse-making euphemisms the NYT propagandists deploy, textual pretzel-contortions to avoid admitting they got caught promulgating bullshit, which was pushed out with precisely 0 fact checking:
Quote:
A memo produced in recent days by the office of the nation’s top intelligence official acknowledged that the C.I.A. and top counterterrorism officials have assessed that Russia appears to have offered bounties to kill American and coalition troops in Afghanistan, but emphasized uncertainties and gaps in evidence, according to three officials.
The memo said that the C.I.A. and the National Counterterrorism Center had assessed with medium confidence — meaning credibly sourced and plausible, but falling short of near certainty — that a unit of the Russian military intelligence service, known as the G.R.U., offered the bounties, according to two of the officials briefed on its contents.

But other parts of the intelligence community — including the National Security Agency, which favors electronic surveillance intelligence — said they did not have information to support that conclusion at the same level, therefore expressing lower confidence in the conclusion, according to the two officials.
Ah, yes "intelligence assessments" from "unnamed top officials" - we've seen that ruse before, and the problem for NYT and its ilk is they've now been caught too many times pulling this sort of nonsense, and their credibility is trending rapidly toward nil. And liying-liar lead Russiagate hoaxer Adam Schiff, as it turns out, was himself briefed on the aforementioned 'assessments' months ago but did not see them as worth doing anything about ... until end of June, just after Trump said he wants to pull remaining US troops out of that sh*thole country, to use his own descriptors:
Quote:
Top committee staff for Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, were briefed in February on intelligence about Russia offering the Taliban bounties in Afghanistan, but he took no action in response to the briefing, multiple intelligence sources familiar with the briefing told The Federalist.
Convenient timing for Schiff to suddenly wax outraged, yes?

Now can we please get back to the less-political funny? There's a reason for the existence of the "politics belongs in the Soap Box" thread in Soap Box, and I will likely shortly move the above 2 posts there, or into another more-suitable Soap Box thread. I know DrS does love himself his daily Trump-bashing, but it doesn't need to leak all over areas of the forum where politics is better avoided.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-07-10 at 20:00
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-10, 23:32   #1195
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·3,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
It is Burger King, not the White House, that holds the trademark, "Home of the Whopper."

Thank you for your attention.

Respectfully,

Jill Granat,
General Counsel, Burger King and Restaurant Brands International
Old 2020-07-11, 11:55   #1196
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

64248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I know DrS does love himself his daily Trump-bashing,
Talk about not checking your facts! If you'd bothered to check my postings over the last six weeks or so, you would have noticed a number of multi-day intervals between consecutive postings, with larger intervals between postings about the current occupant of the White House. In fact, I haven't been posting much about him over a longer stretch. I reckoned, there's not much point.

Lately, though, it seems even some R's are coming out of their torpor and thinking that maybe this Cult of Personality thing isn't so great after all. Adhere today, gone tomorrow...

Meanwhile, said occupant is acting so classically Bad Guy, it's pitiful. You MUST re-open the schools! If you don't reopen the schools, I'll cut off your Federal funding!

Never mind trying to say why it might be a Good Idea to re-open the schools. Do it because I say so, or else...

That's absolutely classic Bad Guy / Oppressor. Good Guys appeal to the listeners' sense of what is right, their sense of justice, etc. Bad Guys go straight to the threats.

What is right (as most folks think of it) and justice aren't even on our CIC's radar. Imploring that reopening the schools might be good for the kids, is left to toadies.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-13, 16:16   #1197
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·3,313 Posts

It seems that a major risk with schools re-opening is to teachers and other staff. That leaves aside kids passing the virus around and taking it home to the family.
Old 2020-07-13, 17:26   #1198
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

1012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Adhere today, gone tomorrow...
A nice turn of phrase. I must remember to use it myself in appropriate contexts.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-13, 17:31   #1199
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3·29·97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
It seems that a major risk with schools re-opening is to teachers and other staff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome back.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	22787  
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote