Old 2020-06-24, 16:35   #298
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

22·3·7·112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Would love to know the thinking behind the idiots who tore down the statue. Still lacking information on what happened to Carpenter. Was he attacked by a single person? Was he attacked by a mod? Hoping that there is camera footage of the people who did this.

Unfortunately the Republicans will view this as a way to throw all of the protesters under the bus.
Thinking? What thinking?
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-24, 18:07   #299
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7·601 Posts

Quote:
Still lacking information on what happened to Carpenter. Was he attacked by a single person? Was he attacked by a mod? Hoping that there is camera footage of the people who did this.

Unfortunately the Republicans will view this as a way to throw all of the protesters under the bus.
There is his own video of the beginning of the attack; he was charged and struck and it seemed directed at the camera early. It's in one or both the links I posted earlier. Reports are that several people attacked him. There likely is more video from other sources, given the location and the number of people that were there at the time.

Due process is carried out regarding individual offenders, not whole groups whether they participate in a crime or not, although there is such a thing as inciting. Video is helpful in identifying who did what. Losing control and committing a crime of passion is another way people may be harmed by these events, by the subsequent natural predictable consequences of their own actions. Even worse would be going to such an event with the intent to do some bashing.

As in the Reginald Denny case, multiple people attacked Carpenter, and other people came to his aid, called for an ambulance after he collapsed, ensured he got to a hospital.

Carpenter is reported as stating he was attacked by 8-10 people.
https://www.ibtimes.com/wisconsin-pr...-night-2999843
The Madison police department has a long history of being enlightened & diverse, with 2 of the last 4 chiefs black, and the one before them became a minister after his time as police chief.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-06, 01:22   #300
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

52·397 Posts
Default America’s Two Right-Wing Parties Absurdly Keep Accusing Each Other Of Being Far-Left

-Caitlin Jonstone

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/07/0...eing-far-left/
Quote:
The Biden campaign has a new Spanish-language ad out claiming that President Trump is cut from the same cloth as leftist leaders Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, and Nicolas Maduro. This is not the first time the Biden campaign has done this, with the same comparison made to Spanish-speaking voters in Florida ads last month.

The hashtag #ComradeTrump is trending on Twitter as of this writing because a well-funded Super PAC run by never-Trump Republicans put out an appallingly stupid viral video featuring footage of Trump splashed with red hammer-and-sickle symbols interspersed with images of Soviet leaders while an English-captioned narrator gushes about Mother Russia’s support for “Comrade Trump” in Russian. As of this writing the video has over two million views on Twitter alone.
Quote:
The Democratic and Republican parties can’t even rightly be called different ideologies; sure they behave a bit differently in the same way a boxer uses his left jab and right cross in different ways, but just like a boxer’s fists they are both used to advance the exact same agenda. In the case of the boxer it’s knocking his opponent senseless, and in the case of the uniparty it’s advancing the interests of oligarchy and imperialism.

That old saying that both parties are just two wings on the same bird is true, but it’s a weird mutant bird with two right wings.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-08, 11:36   #301
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

34×41 Posts

Quote:
Still lacking information on what happened to Carpenter. Was he attacked by a single person? Was he attacked by a mod?
A mod? I swear to God it wasn't me!

(I'm pretty sure you meant "mob." Most of my own typos -- and my Black Belt in making typos is of transfinite degree -- are the result of "fat-fingering" or hitting a key adjacent to the one I intended to type, but this appears to be a different sort of error. My hat's off to you!)
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-08, 11:50   #302
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
A mod?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28subculture%29
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-08, 12:16   #303
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1100111110012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
No, the "mod" in the post is clearly a person or persons.

As to "mod" subculture, it brings to mind an avant-garde subculture that was current in England around the time of our War of Independence. The term is "Macaroni," and the epicenter was IIRC a club of that name.

The term survives in a song meant to be derogatory of the upstart country bumpkins who were foolishly rebelling against their King.

The song is "Yankee Doodle." The song begins,
Yankee Doodle went to town riding on a pony
Stuck a feather in his cap and called it Macaroni
Without the context of the cultural meaning of "Macaroni," the reference is incomprehensible.

The terms "Yankee" and "Yankee Doodle" also were derogatory, but the etymology of "Yankee" seems to be ambiguous.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-07-08 at 12:19 Reason: Rephrasing; xinfig posty
Old 2020-07-08, 12:21   #304
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23·701 Posts

Quote:
No, the "mod" in the post is clearly a person or persons.
It is also a term used for the members of the subculture.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mod
Strangely dictionary.com doesn't list the red coloured folks "mod" definition.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-07-08 at 12:26
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 00:41   #305
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
The song is "Yankee Doodle." The song begins,
Yankee Doodle went to town riding on a pony
Stuck a feather in his cap and called it Macaroni
One can also replace it with the modern version that starts:

Yank my doodle, it's a dandy.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 02:29   #306
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

838110 Posts

Why would you yank a doodle around??
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 10:38   #307
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

63718 Posts

So we've gone from "Yankee Doodle," wherein "doodle" very likely meant "simpleton," to a slang term possibly derived from the onomatopoeia of a rooster crowing, to an abbreviation of a popular dog breed or breeds.

This brings to mind another meaning of "doodle," an aimless or meaningless undertaking (such as scribbling in the margins).

The Silly Season is well and truly upon us. A popular tune sung by Nat King Cole begins, "Roll out those lazy-hazy-crazy days of summer," and ends, "You'll wish that summer could always be here."
Old 2020-07-27, 11:39   #308
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

34·41 Posts

As July winds to a close, the federal moratorium on evictions is about to come to an end, and quite a few people here in the good ol' USA (I've heard estimates of up to 28 million) are facing the prospect of imminent eviction for non-payment of rent.

It occurred to me to wonder how that might affect their ability to vote in the upcoming election.